Author Topic: Scafell Langdale route  (Read 2796 times)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Re: Scafell Langdale route
« Reply #15 on: 14:07:38, 08/04/19 »
i'm unable to upload here, but have uploaded to dropbox. https://www.dropbox.com/s/u4hh6bkrvqv58t8/scafell%20pdf.pdf?dl=0

it wont print in this form - visual only. well worth the c.£4 per month for premium or £25 annual cost.

ps - its fully possible to zoom in/out and look at it from different compass bearings.

Thank you. Yes it does look good, the credit card is coming out again.

stut4

« Reply #16 on: 14:08:28, 08/04/19 »
That's useful, don't suppose I could be cheeky and ask for a screenshot? I already used up my os free trial (to download a route if I recall correctly) and never looked at the 3D imagery. Hallin Fell would be ideal as it's about as steep as I like wet grassy paths so if I could see that in the imagery I'd get it.
i'll see if i can get a screenshot of Hallin Fell    

stut4

« Reply #17 on: 14:12:05, 08/04/19 »
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bekuageqet84syg/hallin%20fell.pdf?dl=0 [nofollow]
1 side is in shade, so not as visible, but rest of it looks pretty good, and a £4 per month subsciption cost is well worth it. plus i have downloaded my planned route to the GPS thing we have.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 14:20:26, 08/04/19 »
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bekuageqet84syg/hallin%20fell.pdf?dl=0
1 side is in shade, so not as visible, but rest of it looks pretty good, and a £4 per month subsciption cost is well worth it. plus i have downloaded my planned route to the GPS thing we have.

Sold. Thanks.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 15:17:31, 08/04/19 »
i'll see if i can get a screenshot of Hallin Fell[/size]  
Rob - OS is really good for 3D images but you can do it in GE relatively easily too
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 15:37:38, 08/04/19 »
You'll be in for a big ascent from Upper Eskdale onto the shoulder of Crinkle Crags if you follow your route, stut4.

Let us know how you get on, and good luck!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 00:11:59, 12/04/19 »
I thought I'd add to this thread that I've just discovered 3D Flyover (View in 3D) in ViewRanger from the routes list. This seems to be a good way to see the gradients involved too.

stut4

« Reply #22 on: 10:25:10, 12/04/19 »
Just got back from a few days in the lakes.
Awesome clear sunny weather and mindblowing scenery.

this was the route we did
https://www.strava.com/activities/2280357853?share_sig=EC3A23B51555059192&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_share [nofollow]

National Trust car park up over "White Stones" to "Bowfell" to "Esk Pike", past "Great End", over "Blunt Top/Ill Crag" then "Broad Crag". We started the decent from Broad Crag to the col with Scafell Pike ready for the final ascent, but the time was 4pm. I was concerned about the final 70-80 meter climb up and descent taking any more than an hour, which would have meant we could have ended up having to do the final descent via Angle Tarn/Rossett Pike in deteriorating light, so we turned back and aborted the final climb to Scafell Pike.
As it turned out, it was 3 hours back to the NT carpark, and was still reasonably light at 7pm so there was probably the chance we could have summit-ed SP and got down in good light, but as i didn't know how long the decent would take i didn't want to take the risk. The descent down the steps from Rossett Pike was in shadow though and perhaps an hour later would have been okay - but i edged on the side of caution.

it was an epic route - a bit more than i was expecting as the steepness of the climb isn't caught on the 3D OS online map i'd used so the wife (and i) were fairly knackered and it took a bit longer throughout. but it was thoroughly enjoyable and i hope to return over the next year for another go with eldest son.

ps - i used a Garmin GPS handheld device to download the GPX file of the route i wanted from OS maps - this was extremely valuable - especially when descending the NE route of Bow fell as there was no one else coming up or descending to follow or guide us. We were initially about 40 meters south of the correct path which looked a tricky descent, but thankfully the GPS directed us to the correct path (supposedly accurate within 5m) so we went down the correct route.

Thank you for all the comments and recommendations on this site.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 10:39:32, 12/04/19 »
Looks a cracking day out - glad you enjoyed it.  As for the cautious approach - always the best answer, Scafell Pike will still be there next time! 

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 11:38:36, 12/04/19 »

Sounds as if you had a grand day out on the hills, stu.

Scafell Pike will keep for another day, as pdstsp says.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy