Author Topic: Your winter stove?  (Read 3372 times)

Mark101

Re: Your winter stove?
« Reply #30 on: 15:51:26, 04/12/19 »
Those Youtube bush crafter videos got me kinda/sorta getting some bush craft "tools" myself so beware of their lure. Jus' sayin'...
Too right. I've also bought a water filtration system and a machete, but as a keen allotment holder, metal detectorist and beach angler they will come in useful when off-grid  :P
Walking for relaxation

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 11:38:40, 16/01/20 »
Depending on where I am and what I am doing I have a choice of three stove kits to take with me.   Trangia 27 non-stick, Trangia 25 and a Jetboil Minimo.  For the Trangias I have both the Meths burners they came with and I also purchased a gas conversion kit which I swap between the two, also invested in the Trangia winter attachment for the meths burners, pre-warming the meths with it certainly does reduce 'blooming' time for the main burner.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Jim Parkin

« Reply #32 on: 22:18:48, 16/01/20 »
Thanks. I'll buy one that the folded stove can fit inside, then just a mug for coffee and noodles  :) Watched a YouTube video on how to make dozens of wax waterproof fire starters from make-up pads and a scented candle. Have my flint so I'll soon be ready to brew on the mountain
I've not used the hexiblocks in a long time (about 30 years) but do recall that they were pretty smelly.  I'm not sure I would like to put my stove in my mess tin. 

Most of the time I simply use a cotton wool ball with no wax as tinder for my ferrorod.  I also use some sisal twine that I dipped in melted wax as a wet tinder - you do need to tease the strands out more than if it's dry. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy