Author Topic: Cuillin Mountains for walkers....is this possible?  (Read 12353 times)

summitzero

• Veteran Member
Re: Cuillin Mountains for walkers....is this possible?
« Reply #15 on: 11:07:21, 21/12/07 »
Lol Said like a true mountain man{grizzly adams}   

I will have to have a shave now  ;D
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 10:51:43, 01/01/08 »
The other Cuillin ridge thread has a video on it. I thought I'd take a look and was stunned.

I work with the guy who did the video!

Part 2 is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1af1bOsUeI&feature=related
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

marmot

« Reply #17 on: 23:41:23, 03/01/08 »
By the sounds of it I'd settle on doing certain sections of the ridge, rather than it all unbroken. The south end of the ridge is a good place to start maybe - bagging several tops without doing anything too dangerous.  If you can manage the scramble up Sgurr Alasdair's western side, the Great Stone Shoot makes a great end to it - descending into Coire Lagan for the night...?

I think I'd stay clear of the TD gap.

wellerchap

« Reply #18 on: 10:52:00, 06/01/08 »
The other Cuillin ridge thread has a video on it. I thought I'd take a look and was stunned.

I work with the guy who did the video!

Part 2 is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1af1bOsUeI&feature=related

While researching, I've seen this video already....you're right, it's a fabulous piece of work, and on a sentimental note, super that this guy's done something like this with his Dad & will always have those memories.

wellerchap

« Reply #19 on: 10:53:07, 06/01/08 »
By the sounds of it I'd settle on doing certain sections of the ridge, rather than it all unbroken. The south end of the ridge is a good place to start maybe - bagging several tops without doing anything too dangerous.  If you can manage the scramble up Sgurr Alasdair's western side, the Great Stone Shoot makes a great end to it - descending into Coire Lagan for the night...?

I think I'd stay clear of the TD gap.

I think, realistically, we'll have to settle for this sort of idea, but should be a great trip, anyway.

marmot

« Reply #20 on: 12:43:57, 06/01/08 »
Yes, it'll be great whatever you do up there.
Just don't go up anything you wouldn't feel comfortable coming down that same way and you can't really go wrong.
Where are you staying up there?  If it's "in season" and you're on a budget I'd recommend the Sligachan Hotel bunkhouse, it's quite old and simple but clean and well equipped.  Less than five minutes from the pub too.  It has two four bed bedrooms and two six bed bedrooms, two shower rooms, two living areas, one with a real fire and one large well fitted kitchen.
It's well worth paying a bit more rather than going for the midge-infested campsite.

wellerchap

« Reply #21 on: 13:01:08, 07/01/08 »
Being a Yorkshireman the ONLY option is always the cheapest....it'll be the campsite, for sure  ::)

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 18:30:03, 29/01/08 »
I live at the foot of the Cuillin. happy to give you some info on specific routes etc. when you have a shortlist.
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 14:47:29, 31/01/08 »
if you're gonna camp then Glenbrittle is a much nicer site and the sea breeze can help fend of the midges.
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

wellerchap

« Reply #26 on: 11:50:24, 03/02/08 »
I live at the foot of the Cuillin. happy to give you some info on specific routes etc. when you have a shortlist.

Thank you, Ian....we were thinking Glennbrittle, into Chorr a ghrunda ('scuse the spelling) then up onto the ridge & traversing fully, maybe kipping up there, if we were so slow as to not do it in a day, then down off t'other end.
The big question is/was can it be traversed fully without ropes & the risk of death?
We wouldn't be too desperate to bag all peaks, if it meant bypassing the less accessible ones, but want a high-level crossing of the full length.
We're pretty much resigned to not doing it this year now, due mainly to a real need to get "mountain-fit", but still interested for when we are.
Any info gratefully accepted.

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 12:50:58, 03/02/08 »
Going coire Grunndha is a good start, only mild scrambling to enter the upper coire and up to the Bealach a Garbh Coire. You can then head South to take in that end of the ridge with no more than easy (grade 1 or 2) scrambling. Then its fairly steady grade 2 over Sgurr Dubh na da Bheinn and down to Bealach coire an Lochan. by skirting the cliffs under Alasdair you can avoid the TD gap and go up Alasdair's SW ridge-  grade 3 and a bit awkward in places. Continuing over Thearlaich involves Moderate climbing and getting off the other end is either an abseil or scary exposed downclimbing at Moderate grade. Mhic Coinnich is not too difficult (Grade 2) by Collies Ledge but it's narrow! Bypass An Stac by slabs to the left and arrive at the Inn Pinn.

Form here to the end of Sgurr na Banachdich is not too demanding (grade 2 scrambling) Greadaidh and Mhadaidh especially are difficult to traverse, andf there is no escape from this section. Mhadaidh in particular has sections of  unavoidable climbing up to Difficult grade, is inescapable and cannot be bypassed without a return to the coire floor. Bidean drum nan Ramh can be bypassed on the west side ove scree and if you're not a climber this is advisable as the traverse of the 3 tops is one of the trikiest sections on the ridge. An Caisteal has  a nasty section of Moderate vertical downclimbing to get off. Bruach na Frithe - grade2 scramble. Bypass the Basteir Tooth on the North side and approach An Basteir from the E ridge, but this still involves a nasty "bad step" of about Severe standard where there has been a rockfall just short of the summit.
W ridge of Gillean involves some Moderate climbing in a very exposed situation and even descending by the tourist route requires hard grade 3 scrambling.

If you want to do the ridge you should be a very competent scrambler even if you intend to bypass the climbing sections. it's not so much the difficulty as the concentration and stamina required to scramble continually in intimidating situations for hours on end with very litlle walking in between. Navigation and route finding is tricky and the easiest route is not always obvious. Having the knowledge and equipment to abseil safely (there are very few fixed anchors so also the knowledge to set these up) would be very usefull especially in case things don't go according to plan, and will on 2 or 3 sections of the ridge save you from very scary downclimbing. remember if you're taking bivvy gear that scrambling with a big pack is hard!

Not wishing to put you off but for a first visit I'd really recommend shorter routes till you get the feel of the place.  A competent party that knows the ridge  often takes about 18 hours, not counting the walk in and walk out. Go and recce the sections you think might cause you problems and then when you have it wired, go for the complete traverse!

Not touting for business but have you considered using a guide to help you find your feet?

Get a copy of the SMC Skye Scrambles guide if you haven't already, and Gordon Stainforths book "the Cuillin" Has quality pics and a very usefull guide to traversing the ridge.

Hope this helps! Above all, enjoy... it's magic up there!

Ian

www.mountainfreedom.co.uk

wellerchap

« Reply #28 on: 07:34:01, 04/02/08 »
Ian, thanks ever so much for going to that trouble.
We've considered most options, a guide being one of them. At the minute we're very aware that fitness is a must, and while neither of us are Mr Blobby's we still realise there's a big gulf in how fit you'd need to be to get round a 10 mile walk out in the country, to this sort of thing. With that in mind we've decided to put some effort in on fitness this year & maybe have a stab at the ridge next....we're even considering getting some rope knowledge under our belts too.
Once again, thank you, and by the way, you have some stunning photos on that website of yours  :o
David

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 14:35:12, 04/02/08 »
yeah get out and do lots of scrambling and then you'll be able to enjoy it with confidence. See you up there!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy