Author Topic: My rucksack hip pocket zips are stuck solid  (Read 1683 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
My rucksack hip pocket zips are stuck solid
« on: 14:58:30, 31/12/19 »
Can anyone offer a solution, please?

My Golite Jam rucksack two hip pocket zips are stuck solid. The zips are plastic and have not been used for a while and the zipper pulls, no matter how I try to pull or wiggle them will just not budge. I have tried to free them with WD40, hot water and scratching the tiny cogs with a needle but nothing as yet works. When I look at the zippers under a magnifying glass there seems to be a hard deposit (looks like dried glue) around the edges of the zipper, no idea what it is but I have wondered if some kind of chemical reaction has taken place between the zipper pull and the zip itself?

Any ideas to make them work again greatly appreciated.

Owen

• Veteran Member
Re: My rucksack hip pocket zips are stuck solid
« Reply #1 on: 15:11:07, 31/12/19 »
You could try dropping a little vinegar on them, leave it for a few minutes before  trying the zips again.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:16:52, 31/12/19 »
Two things to try. Since the usual cure all WD40 didn't work.

1 use a small hard brush (maybe toothbrush) and use ordinary vinegar in the areas you notice the build up. Brush it in and it may dissolve the gunk that has formed.
This shouldn't damage any material as long as you apply it in the right places and rinse off once finished.

2 Very risky. Dissolve a dishwasher tablet in small amount warm water and brush the resulting paste into the area. If it does free up rinse it with copious amounts of water immediately.  This makes a weak ish caustic solution  so could damage the material unless you are extremely careful to catch the zip/ puller only.  Have plenty of ckean water to hand in case you catch hge material.
Edited:writing this while Owen posted. I agree Vinegar is the safest bet.
Too little, too late, too bad......

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:08:27, 01/01/20 »
You've been here before over 4 years ago  ::)   http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=30155.msg437678#msg437678

A quick Google search will provide you with a multitude of methods and household substances to try (NB white vinegar rather than malt vinegar is recommended on numerous websites).

I would suggest it's either been caused by saltwater corrosion or more likely is that the zip teeth are aluminium and not plastic as you think and it's aluminium corrosion which is very common when an item is either stored away damp or stored in damp conditions. Change the place where you store it to avoid future problems.

Patience and allowing sufficient time for any substance you try to soak in and work is probably key.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:16:48, 01/01/20 »
Well, I never, must be my age, I didn't remember something I'd identified 4 years ago. I had a look in daylight and yes, what I thought was plastic is aluminium. I going to try to release the zips today.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:41:08, 01/01/20 »
I like using small amounts of 3-1 oil.
Just apply small amounts of the thin oil along the length of the zip, and try and manipulate the zip, so that it works loose.
It may take some time, but just work the zip up and down the serrated edge.

I used this on a very old purse, that had a zip fastener that over time had become rusty and just would not move.
After around three hours of trying to work the zip loose, it eventually became operational again.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:50:04, 01/01/20 »
Pencil lead is good for helping metal zips move more freely,  though it sounds like you need something stronger first 

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:30:38, 03/01/20 »
I've tried all of the suggestion, thank you for them just not the dishwasher tablet yet. So far nothing has worked but I'll carry on trying.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:42:15, 03/01/20 »
Thank you I'll have a go at that tomorrow  morning.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy