Author Topic: Record depth of Snow recorded on slopes of Benn Nevis  (Read 1045 times)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Just read an article in my paper, which say's that Benn Nevis has some of the deepest snow ever recorded on it's northern slopes.
According to Park wardens, some of the snow is an incredible 15meters in depth, and has been there many year's.

alewife

• Veteran Member
Re: Record depth of Snow recorded on slopes of Benn Nevis
« Reply #1 on: 20:55:28, 10/08/16 »
So if its been there 15 years have they only just got around to recording it? :-\ I did see something on TV recently about how the snow is monitored each yearn-though I thought the suggestion was there is leess this July than previous years, but I wan't fully engaged in the program so may have got that wrong ???
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: Record depth of Snow recorded on slopes of Benn Nevis
« Reply #2 on: 21:30:07, 10/08/16 »
I saw a picture somewhere of this year's relatively clean snow melting to reveal last year's dirtier snow. There's certainly less snow on the hills this summer than last year - I visited Killin in July 2015 and there was significant bands of snow at quite low levels - about 2400 feet and a lot bigger bands on higher hills.  And there was still large bands of snow on the Munros around Newtonmore and in the Cairngorms in August last year.
On recent trip to the Southern Highlands there was none at all at that altitude. So, I think there was less snow in 2015/6 winter than in 2014/5 - in fact I seem to remember pics of the Glencoe ski buildings completely covered and having to be dug out early in 2015.
But even if there was less snow gathering last winter to the winter before, it could still add to a build-up in the high gullies...
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy