Author Topic: Working out where to hike with my son next week for 3 days Glen Coe/Rannoch  (Read 1231 times)

JohnHyperActive

Hi all.
Input much appreciated from people who know Rannoch and Glen Coe like the back of their hands!

We're from the far south east of England and I've been desperate to get to the wilds for ages and now finally have the opportunity for 3 days.

Myself and 14 yr old son are coming up  - not sure if by car or train yet - to spend 3 days hiking and camping in the wild. I'm partially inspired by Robert McFarlane's book The Wild Places. In a nutshell I'd like to spend a night on Rannoch Moor, a night atop a Munro and a night in the forest.

Thinking of perhaps getting train to Rannoch then traversing the moor towards Glen Coe then climb B Etive Mor. Possibly then find some remote woods to camp. OR camp on Rannoch then head towards the Black Wood or Ben Alder.

Either way we have 3 days and 4 nights out and about. So if any of you guys have any recommendations it would be much appreciated!
If you dont often get the chance to get to Scotland....where would YOU trek over 3 days?!

Thanks..john
« Last Edit: 13:22:17, 23/08/16 by JohnHyperActive »

sparnel

• Veteran Member
Hello  -  you could get the train to Rannoch station. No shop there so make sure you have the supplies you need.  Walk across the moor to King's House Hotel. Food stop there (meals, not purchases!). Carry on along the West Highland Way to Altnafeidh then ascend Buachaille Etive Moor by the big corrie.
Overnight on the summit ridge if weather ok. Traverse the ridge next morning and descend into Glen Etive.
Return to Altnafeidh via the Lairig Gartain and over the Devil's Staircase to Kinlochleven.
This is assuming the weather is fine, you have some mountain walking experience and can carry all the kit you need. You could omit the Buachaille and head for K'leven from King's House. Trust this helps.............

MoelPysgod

• Veteran Member
I was in that area in May, or June, can't remember, and had a superb time. This incomplete blog post may be of some use (or not, as so far it only describes two stays in bothies - which I would totally recommend by the way).

https://summitstupid.com/2016/06/05/a-week-in-the-highlands-part-one/

As for a Munro camp - the hills are pretty spiky round there but one that I would guarantee would be a great place to camp is Ben a' Chrulaiste, just opposite Buaichaille Etive Mor. Not a Munro (Corbett, I think) Great big grassy plateau on which to pitch, and utterly astonishingly super-duper and extensive views, most notably of the Bookle itself. Seriously, if you got the weather that would be an amazing place to wake up.

Don't recall seeing much forest in the area that you could camp in, maybe Glen Etive would be best for that sort of thing? I camped in the woods behind the Kingshouse Hotel but not sure that counts...

Oh, I know where has some good inspiration for this area:

http://v-g.me.uk/TripsPhotos/TripsPhotosArea.htm

Those good old V-G Hikers! The three most recent trips in the Scotland section all pertain to the area, including Rannoch Moor, Glen Etive and Ben Alder.

Hope this is of some use.

JohnHyperActive

Thanks Sparnel.. that confirms to me that the rough route I planned was do-able. I was half expecting a 'you can't cross the moor easily' comment when I posted this...

MoelPysgod.. the corbett spot sounds great and I'll read through your blog later.

Thanks guys

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy