Author Topic: Wild Camping  (Read 8384 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Wild Camping
« Reply #15 on: 11:07:00, 07/07/20 »
When I've taken my car I never park and camp in isolated places overnight, just bring attention to yourself. I always park in 'plain sight' on housing estates, for example, been to Keswick a few times and have had no problem finding a spot. I've found the Streetmap system (the app Windy) the most useful for this, unlike OS maps the streets I believe are more clearly displayed and they are named as well.

In the morning I just get into the driver's seat and drive to somewhere else to organise myself.

RockPenguin

« Reply #16 on: 12:49:34, 07/07/20 »
Many thanks for the info Karl. I've checked and as you say, there is no overnight parking at the YH or Slate Mine. However, the small parking spot you posted looks great, I reckon you'd have to arrive pretty early (or late) to guarantee a space though. Definitely going to give it a shot. Thanks again.

RockPenguin

« Reply #17 on: 12:56:22, 07/07/20 »
When I've taken my car I never park and camp in isolated places overnight, just bring attention to yourself. I always park in 'plain sight' on housing estates, for example, been to Keswick a few times and have had no problem finding a spot. I've found the Streetmap system (the app Windy) the most useful for this, unlike OS maps the streets I believe are more clearly displayed and they are named as well.

In the morning I just get into the driver's seat and drive to somewhere else to organise myself.

RockPenguin

« Reply #18 on: 12:58:26, 07/07/20 »

Cheers gunwharfman....

Fair comment, the fells around Pillar and the Gables are pretty isolated though so an isolated overnight park seems unavoidable in this case. Unless you know of a plain sight location within reasonable distance to these fells?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 14:22:55, 07/07/20 »
For the past couple of years, I've climbed to the top of Great Gable on November 11th for the WW1 commemorations. I've driven up both times and parked and camped at Chapel House Farm, at Rosthraite, only £6 a night, a bit rough and ready, just a field adjacent to the road, but I like it. Good sized car park. Two good pubs and the YHA hostel are all within easy walking distance. It's also next door to the Coast to Coast and Cumbria Way walks as well. Keswick not far either if you have a car.

Great Gabel is fairly near, a 'good enough,' scenic and easy walk to its base.

RockPenguin

« Reply #20 on: 16:39:03, 07/07/20 »
Thanks for the info gunwharfman. £6 for the night seems very reasonable indeed and obviously my car would be more secure parked there overnight, even if I didn't actually pitch a tent. Any idea whet time you need to vacate the by on the following day?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 19:59:18, 07/07/20 »
When I stayed there I spoke to the owner and said I didn't know what time I could get back to the site he said "no problem stay as long as you like." I left the site at about 4.00 pm in the afternoon. Mind you, because it was November I was the only person there. Most places I've stayed at suggest between 12.00 and 2.00 pm but if you think you want to stay later in the day I can only suggest you have a word with the owner first.

I camped two nights, slept in my tent night one, but it was so cold on night two I grabbed my mattress, etc, and slept in my car.

Re: The two drinking places, both good. From the field, though the farmer's yard, turn right and onto the pub, both times I visited it was packed. They had also put their food prices up from the previous year. The other place, out of the site onto the road, turn right and keep straight on to the pub/hotel in the village. I enjoyed the food. Again packed. Their selling point is chips made from real 'fat,' is it called dripping, I'm not very knowledgable about such things? I don't eat meat and their products but the tourists around me seemed to love them. Both pubs sell good beer.

I don't think I've eaten at the YHA? Lots of beer but my memory doesn't recall food?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 20:10:16, 07/07/20 »
There's also Wasdale Head. A longer drive to get there, and a bigger ascent, but the campsite opposite the pub is cheap, and there's plenty of free parking 1/4 of a mile away if you don't want to camp. Not secure but the very remoteness of the valley is reassuring.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 11:59:11, 08/07/20 »
When I did my X Wales walks I intended to camp high to avoid the fields of lowland farming. I made better time on one day and overran my intended overnight spot.
This has given me some ideas I should have planned for. Nowadays walking mostly in farmland, I still, instinctively size up possible emergency overnight stays. This advice is strictly for the 'camp late/strike early' discipline.

Thanks vghikers. So I’m assuming when you are on someone land, like farmland, best not to set up. I was hoping to be very remote.

Definitely leave no trace. Why do people dump their rubbish everywhere?!??
Many farmers leave wide field margins, ostensibly for conservation, more for collecting additional value on Single Farm Supplement payments. These are usually fully subscribed to by the large estates and are plainly visible on google earth. A bit of pre-planning and good judgement of terrain should give you some ideal spots. Another tip is to seek local advice; indirectly questioning local householders can be a rich source of info. As a general rule large land owners are not overly popular nor are their game keepers.
Bear in mind that the majority of 'farm workers' are now more likely to be self employed, if not independent contractors. Walkers usually manage to 'get up their nose' more because they do not stop and take time to talk, but scuttle by avoiding eye contact. This is not a countryman's way, meet eye contact give a hand salute and be willing to talk and it is surprising what you may learn. I have been told of great places to walk that are off the righteous way, of hidden beauty spots and amazing places to explore, (often with advice on who to duck and dive away from)

If you are walking as a pair then you may have 4 walking poles, lots of reduntant electric fence wire lying around the countryside a few meters, enough for two strands, can make a psueudo electric fence around your tent, especially combines with GWM tips of using gates.Discreet use of sheep hurdles, borrowing if replaced 'as was', provided they are not in use will never be known, provided you are up and away before all others. I prefer to breakfast at least 2 miles from my wild camp. (fill a flask, last thing, with hot water or drink, pack - coffee - and away)

During an emergency hitch hike between the Lakes and Snowdonia, I did a quick hop over a wall on the N.Wales coast road in the early hours. Landed in some thick dark bushes, blundered around a bit and found a flat bit of grass, up with the mountain tent and into the pit, tout de suite. Morning light revealed Rhododendron bushes either side of a perfectly mown square of grass. I was in the middle of a rather up market Caravan site. In a flash my pack was packed, my immediate flight arrested by a call from one of the caravans, where a couple were sitting at a table enjoying an early al fresco breakfast. They pointed to a third chair. Whilst I was enjoying a full English, regaling my generous hosts with mountaineering exploits, the site factotum was scratching his head over a small depressed square of grass on one of his expensive lets, much to our combined amusement.
« Last Edit: 12:07:43, 08/07/20 by barewirewalker »
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

RockPenguin

« Reply #24 on: 06:46:08, 12/07/20 »
Thank you everyone who shared advice on overnight parking options for my camp on the fells around Great Gable etc. I opted for the small, free parking spot on the Honister Pass just below the YH and Slate Mine. Camp was just below Pillar overlooking Wasdale and toward Scafel and Scafell Pike.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 07:36:38, 12/07/20 »
Thank you everyone who shared advice on overnight parking options for my camp on the fells around Great Gable etc. I opted for the small, free parking spot on the Honister Pass just below the YH and Slate Mine. Camp was just below Pillar overlooking Wasdale and toward Scafel and Scafell Pike.

Lovely - glad that your trip was a success. Any photos?

RockPenguin

« Reply #26 on: 16:55:40, 12/07/20 »

Lovely - glad that your trip was a success. Any photos?

Yes I have a few. I'm a newbie here and I'm not entirely sure how to post them though??

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 19:25:05, 12/07/20 »

Yes I have a few. I'm a newbie here and I'm not entirely sure how to post them though??

You need to upload them to a 3rd party image hosting side, and then copy and paste the 'Direct Link' for the image into the pop up box that appears when you press the image icon that appears above the smiley emoji when you make a post.

I use imgbb.com - very simple and free. I also reduce the image size to 800x600 using Microsoft Paint.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 11:23:44, 17/07/20 »
My wife noticed a 'wild camping' site online, www.nearlywildcamping.org so I Googled it, then I noticed there are similar sites as well. Might be useful information if and when needed?

daniel22

« Reply #29 on: 11:30:55, 17/07/20 »
Aye I'll take a gander! Thanks :D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy