Author Topic: Knee Dilemma  (Read 1604 times)

JaniceandHarliedog

Knee Dilemma
« on: 09:48:49, 04/09/20 »
Hi,

I am walking the Pennine Way with my dog next May.

I shall be 66 and my dog will be 11, so we are taking 25 days to do this, and are doing it for charity (I am a member of our local mountain rescue team and we need a new Base, and also the local Animal Rescue Centre). It is all booked.

Unfortunately, my new knee of 4 years old has moved and I have been told I now need a revision replacement. This came as a complete shock because although at times I have pain and discomfort, it certainly does not seem to warrant another new knee, as most of the time it is fine and I am only taking medication when I go out for a long walk. I have been told that prior to my first op, this was arthritic pain and was different. I still go out for about 3-5 hours in the fells and enjoy the walks.

I have a dilemma now as I can have surgery within the next two months and hope I recover and get fit in time for next May, or leave it and hope it doesn't get worse before next May and equally, collapse during the walk. I know only I can make this decision, but I would like to know if any of you walkers have undergone replacement knee REVISION surgery and how long did it take you to be up and walking well again. I recovered quickly after my original replacement but I worked really hard, and really do not know if I have the energy to do all that again. I am aware it takes longer to recover after a revision as well.

However, please do NOT send me any horror stories!!! I am distressed enough at this news and want to try and remain positive.

Thank you.

Janice

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Knee Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: 16:30:00, 04/09/20 »
I'm sorry I can't help with knowledge about your knee but is it worth looking at your problem another way, namely, we are now in the Covid-19 era, and would you create future problems for yourself by not getting your operation done when it is being offered? If you cancel this operation would you then have problems getting a new date, especially knowing that a backlog of other people may then be competing with you for surgical time? My only other thought is if you are going to hike the Pennine Way this will make further demands on your knee, between now and May next year your knee condition might deteriorate further, perhaps even to the point where you couldn't hike the Pennine Way anyway?

I can only say that if it was me, I would prioritise myself.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:39:31, 04/09/20 »
Sorry, also cannot help about the knee but to cheer you up, I did meet someone walking up Glaramara just 3 weeks after a double hip replacement - he did ask me not to tell hos surgeon though.

You must discuss your problem with your doctor/surgeon.  For what is is worth, my advice would be go for the surgery. It is not going the get better and may get worse.  Your well-being is more important than a sponsored walk.
Solvitur Ambulando

Rivingtonboots

« Reply #3 on: 18:44:46, 04/09/20 »
Hi,

I am walking the Pennine Way with my dog next May.

I shall be 66 and my dog will be 11, so we are taking 25 days to do this, and are doing it for charity (I am a member of our local mountain rescue team and we need a new Base, and also the local Animal Rescue Centre). It is all booked.

Unfortunately, my new knee of 4 years old has moved and I have been told I now need a revision replacement. This came as a complete shock because although at times I have pain and discomfort, it certainly does not seem to warrant another new knee, as most of the time it is fine and I am only taking medication when I go out for a long walk. I have been told that prior to my first op, this was arthritic pain and was different. I still go out for about 3-5 hours in the fells and enjoy the walks.

I have a dilemma now as I can have surgery within the next two months and hope I recover and get fit in time for next May, or leave it and hope it doesn't get worse before next May and equally, collapse during the walk. I know only I can make this decision, but I would like to know if any of you walkers have undergone replacement knee REVISION surgery and how long did it take you to be up and walking well again. I recovered quickly after my original replacement but I worked really hard, and really do not know if I have the energy to do all that again. I am aware it takes longer to recover after a revision as well.

However, please do NOT send me any horror stories!!! I am distressed enough at this news and want to try and remain positive.

Thank you.

Janice
What exactly have you been told has moved ?
I'll be having a full or partial knee replacement in the near future and uptil joining this forum, didn't know of anyone who was so active.

JaniceandHarliedog

« Reply #4 on: 13:02:15, 05/09/20 »
Hi,

Thank you for your replies.

My consultant has said that both parts of my new knee has moved ie. at the bottom of the thigh bone and top of the shin bone, to keep it simple, possibly because it was not cemented at the time, and consequently it is now not housed as it should be, thus causing pain and thinning of the bone. Recovery from revision surgery will take longer than the original knee replacement because of scar tissue and less to work with. He said it should take 4-5 months, but we are looking towards the end of October to have the operation. Will I recover in time? I did very well with my original surgery and surpassed my consultant's and physio's expectations, but it was hard work!

I agree it can only get worse, although it has settled at the moment, but I would be worried about it failing during the walk if I did not have the surgery. I was hoping someone who has had knee replacement revision could let me have their experience. However, it is helpful that you guys all opt for surgery now rather than after the walk. It makes my decision easier, thank you.

Janice

Eyelet

« Reply #5 on: 11:51:24, 06/09/20 »
Hi Janice

If both the components of the prosthesis have migrated to the point your surgeon has offered you a revision I would also recommend you get it done as early as possible and don’t put it off. Aseptic loosening only gets worse, if you tripped over later you could even fracture the bone around the prosthesis which would make the surgeon’s job much harder. Future delays to elective surgery might also change in future due to COVID-19, so get on the list for October.

You have two advantages: you are fit now, so your soft tissues are in good condition which will help your rehab compared to many patients, I also suspect you are a determined sort of a person who has the right mindset to get through the revision procedure and get back on the hill. Good luck! O0

JaniceandHarliedog

« Reply #6 on: 12:34:03, 06/09/20 »
Thank you for yours response Eyelet.

I understand completely what you say about the bone issue and I think that is what the consultant is most concerned about.

And yes you are right, I am very determined but it’s very difficult physiologically to gear myself up so soon after the original surgery, for the hard work ahead. And I did work seriously hard.

But every one makes sense and I shall have the op at the first opportunity. If I’m not 100% before the walk, as long as I won’t be doing the knee any harm, then I’ll just get a stock of pain relief just in case.

Thank you all for your very welcome comments.

Janice

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy