Author Topic: north to south....nice and slow  (Read 927 times)

stang

north to south....nice and slow
« on: 22:19:42, 29/01/13 »
Hey all,
In May i have a plan to take a couple of weeks out and walk/backpack around the western highlands. The idea is to take public transport from here in Northampton to Durness on the northern coast of scotland and basically just walk back south as far as my feet want to carry me. I may visit Skye whilst i'm there too.
I will travel as light as possible and carry everything myself. Plan on wild camping between towns/villages and b&b's for when i need to restock and clean up.
The first few days I would like to leave Durness and walk to Ullapool (about 68 miles via road). So far i have no further route planned, but obviously as i'll be doing this one on my own i won't be tackling anything too difficult (scrambles etc). The route doesn't have to tackle mountain paths every day as i'm happy just ambling along a quiet country road and enjoying the scenery.
So, has anyone any advise on this area of Scotland? ie: areas to avoid or visit, easy paths, fantastic views and lochs. Is there places where i can restock and launder clothes? Has anyone ever tackled this before?
Any comments and advise will be gratefully received.
Cheers
Steve.

NeedSleep

Re: north to south....nice and slow
« Reply #1 on: 22:52:49, 29/01/13 »
I've family in Poolewe and Achnasheen so I've played in that neck of the woods a fair bit and am planning on being back up there at the tail end of March.

Depends what sort of mileage you are looking to do on a daily basis but that part of the world is fantastic for walking. I've nabbed lifts on the post bus/van and one of the school coaches doing a run out of Gairloch before, friendly people will help you get where you need to be or a good bit nearer.

The route here www.greatwildernesschallenge.info/index.asp?pageid=63251 would get you in to Poolewe (camp site on the edge of Loch Ewe with a lovely vista to wake up to and Inverewe Gardens worth a visit if that floats your boat) from a little s/w of Ullapool and from there I'd head along Lock Maree (has an island with a loch with and island inside, a quirk I can't help but like) and camp on the beach at the south end of the loch for sure, I try and squeeze at least one night there if I'm up that way because it's one of my fave spots and not a man made object in sight, perhaps pop up Slioch if you fancy and you're only a short way from Kinlochewe then if you're after some more creature comforts.

If it were me then I'd be finding a route over the hills to Achnasheen then but it's equally beautiful to head further west and back to the coast which it sounds like you may prefer especially if you fancy heading on over to Skye. Whether you go Torridon way or Locharron way you're in for some stunning views.

Feel free to shoot me any questions if I've been to vague on anything and I'll try and help. 

stang

« Reply #2 on: 18:39:36, 30/01/13 »
Many thanks Needsleep,
I've had a good look at your suggested route on Google maps etc and think i'll probably add it to my plans. So far it's likely to be Durness-Ullapool-Poolewe-Achnasheen. As Achnasheen has a train station it gives me another option to travel on further via public transport or to carry on via foot.
I do fancy a visit to Skye so I'm considering the luxury of public transport from Achnasheen to get me there.
I'll keep planning and give you an update soon.
Cheers
Steve

Bradders

« Reply #3 on: 19:22:21, 01/02/13 »
Sounds like a challenging walk.
How many miles in total?
Want to get out of this concrete jungle!!

stang

« Reply #4 on: 20:49:40, 01/02/13 »
Sounds like a challenging walk.
How many miles in total?
Not sure on the mileage of this trip, but should be in the region of 200 or so on foot.
This trek is more about putting a few ghosts to rest in my personal life (another story) and what better way than exploring the west of Scotland. I'll take time to plan various routes on foot and by using public transport so i can have the freedom to pick and choose as i go.
One thing is for sure though the more i research and plan, the more excited i get about this trip.
Cheers

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy