Author Topic: Stiles  (Read 2097 times)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: Stiles
« Reply #15 on: 11:36:01, 24/09/19 »
The style below Pen yr Helyg Ddu and Pen Llithrig Y Wrach, above the Eigiau valley, is so rickety that its almost not safe to use.
A lot of the wooden steps are so rotten, that its a wonder of nature that its still standing.
I don't understand the almost bit about safety, it either is safe or it isn't. If it is not then report it to your local  authority dept. that deals with ROWs., stating that it is unsafe. Keep a record if who you spoke to and when you told them, making sure, of course, that you let them know you are keeping a record.  O0
Too little, too late, too bad......

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 11:40:09, 24/09/19 »

It would also be useful to know people's preferred type of stile if possible.
Thank you!
  Ladder type stile but they can be a bit difficult balancing at the top and turning around when carrying a heavy pack.The most annoying are the squeeze type when carrying a pack.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 11:45:13, 24/09/19 »
Its safe if your of a certain weight and build.
I could see a person carrying too much weight, crushing the steps.
When i put my feet on the middle rungs of the ladder, coming down the other side, they flexed terribly,obviously a sign the wood has dried out, and got a soaking so many times, that the wood was about to give way.

I weigh just over 11stone, but someone of a heavier build would have probably broken through the wood.

Due to the peaty ground, the style is positioned on, the style also sways side to side as you grab hold of it.

They have obviously been there a considerably time, and probably due to the very remote location, have escaped the notice of the park rangers.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 11:48:10, 24/09/19 »
Just report it Dyffryn. As you describe it, it is patently unsafe, unless they provide a set of scales at the side of it.  :)
Too little, too late, too bad......

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 13:08:05, 24/09/19 »
Filled in your survey, Ella, a couple of days ago. Little difficult to see the purpose from the questions asked but some points that might be helpful.Having served on a Local Access Forum, the access network in many counties is prioritized on level of use; A - B and C. The A stream obviously gets the prime investment, and the C stream is pretty well ignored.

Kissing gates, a fave of my wife and I are the top of tree, in walk furniture parlance, in the minds of the local authorities and their commitment to equal opportunities tends to put the additional cost of the wider variety, which allows wheelchair access, as a budgetry quandary.

Personally the stile I love to find are those pieces of historical evidence, probably in the C stream or those lost ways that connect to these lesser used routes that prove an old way. Sometimes a well preserved antique wicket or wrought iron kissing gate, so deeply embedded in a hedge that there is no chance of using it. It does so often show that the countryside community of 1819 did not run on one man, his dog and a combine harvester as the landowner of 2019 would like us to think.

There is another sorts, one is the Hunting Wicket, doubt any are actually on rights of way, but they do create access access through holding boundaries. Do I hear a gate is not a stile, well the propensity of local authorities to replace stiles with kissing gates might lead us all to some confusion.

Another is the the Fence; this you will find under a mature Oak, spreading Chestnut or other. So often the ways created in the past were driven by changing times and new needs, a holding boundary will not have a field gate. Hedges rarely grow under the canopy of a tree, so the fence that stock proofs this gap became a stile. The tree survives, the way does not get on the Definitive Map, who might use it............ :D
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 14:21:04, 24/09/19 »
Kissing gates are my favourites provided there is room for me and my pack as i swing the gate.  The best stiles have a grab pole to help you balance - also shows somebody cares.
Solvitur Ambulando

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 14:30:09, 24/09/19 »
I've been stuck in both kissing gates and those squeeze stiles when I've had a rucksack on.
And yes, the ones with a grab pole to help you balance are the best!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 15:41:59, 24/09/19 »
I get stuck in squeeze-stiles without a rucksack on  :-[

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 16:48:54, 24/09/19 »
Offas Dyke national Trail once famous for its number of high barred stiles, is now devoid of them, almost all have been replaced with identical metal gates, easier to negotiatte but very noisy.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 16:55:42, 24/09/19 »
Offas Dyke national Trail once famous for its number of high barred stiles, is now devoid of them, almost all have been replaced with identical metal gates, easier to negotiatte but very noisy.

I like noisy gates - I use them to let cows know I'm there!
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 18:46:51, 24/09/19 »
I like noisy gates - I use them to let cows know I'm there!
So they all know to come and investigate you?
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 13:03:37, 25/09/19 »
So they all know to come and investigate you?

The way I see it is this... if they do, then I've still got the option of another route. If they just glance my way and carry on chewing, then I reckon I'm good to go!

I prefer cattle know I'm there rather than notice me when I'm already halfway across the field.

But each to their own of course.  ;)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Stube

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 15:04:00, 26/09/19 »
No one has mentioned the collapsing fence stiles.

They are like a squeeze stile, but the two halves separate, folding outwards like an expanding V as you operate them. I've found them occasionally in the Midlands - but I can't remember what triggers the separation mechanisim.
The other oldball is the stone step stiles with a sprung gate at the top. Common around Keld & Muker on the PW. The gates became essential when the local sheep learnt how to negociate the basic step stiles!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy