Author Topic: Cumbria Way  (Read 3737 times)

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
Cumbria Way
« on: 22:42:09, 03/04/19 »
Just hada few days walking from Ambleside last week and decided to summit Red Screes with the great weather. Finding I'm fitter than expected I've decided to start wainwright bagging again,  while I'm doing the Cumbria Way North to South in May. I'm doing it over 9, spare day at Borrowdale, so fairly short distances.
Comments please
Caldbeck to Skidaw House via High Pike, Knott and the Calvas
Skidaw House to Keswick via Sale How and Skidaw
Keswick to Borrowdale via Walla Crag,  High Seat and High Tove
Borrowdale to Elterwater via Glaramara and Angle tarn
Thanks
Rachel

Great things are done when women and mountains meet.

ron6632

Re: Cumbria Way
« Reply #1 on: 23:34:09, 03/04/19 »
Looks good.  Would love to stay at Skiddaw. 

Made the mistake of walking from Keswick to Elterwater - boy, that was a long day, and that was without deviating from the route.

Is there a bunkhouse at Caldbeck now?

IMHO north to south is the better walk, and if the weather’s good going over the tops will be fantastic.   O0

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:37:27, 04/04/19 »
Looks good.  Would love to stay at Skiddaw. 

Made the mistake of walking from Keswick to Elterwater - boy, that was a long day, and that was without deviating from the route.

Is there a bunkhouse at Caldbeck now?

IMHO north to south is the better walk, and if the weather’s good going over the tops will be fantastic.   O0
Yes Hudscales Farm at the bottom of the fells Hesketh Newmarket lovely old stone barn with fridge, kettle, microwave, shower and a wood burner. Book through Lakelands camping barn.
I walked from South to North last year but did low level, except Cat Bells, because I was recovering from chicken pox. I missed the last bit couldn't be bothered with finishing at Carlisle. So I'm going to got that bit done when I arrive on the first afternoon.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:38:13, 04/04/19 »
I love Red Screes.

Looks like a good plan - on your Skiddaw day you could relatively easily add in Little Man, maybe Lonscale Fell and Latrigg too, for not a great deal of extra effort.  And on the Angle Tarn day, Rossett Pike is an easy catch too.

Have fun between High Seat and High Tove - it can be very very boggy.

Hope you enjoy - it's a lovely route.

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:31:20, 04/04/19 »
I love Red Screes.

Looks like a good plan - on your Skiddaw day you could relatively easily add in Little Man, maybe Lonscale Fell and Latrigg too, for not a great deal of extra effort.  And on the Angle Tarn day, Rossett Pike is an easy catch too.

Have fun between High Seat and High Tove - it can be very very boggy.

Hope you enjoy - it's a lovely route.R
Thank you I'll have a look at those too

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:58:37, 06/04/19 »
That at all looks very do-able.

I'd add my sixpen'th to pdstp's warning - Tove and the Pewits is a very boggy area.

If you walk north to south you will probably be walking into the wind and have the sun in your eyes.

Have a great time - it'll be a far cry from the Nene valley   ;)

Skip

eddycreative

« Reply #6 on: 21:12:57, 06/04/19 »
Definitely very achieveable! Good luck :)

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:05:51, 07/04/19 »
That at all looks very do-able.

I'd add my sixpen'th to pdstp's warning - Tove and the Pewits is a very boggy area.

If you walk north to south you will probably be walking into the wind and have the sun in your eyes.

Have a great time - it'll be a far cry from the Nene valley   ;)
Thank you Skip good advice.

Look like I'll need my hats then lol let's hope the sun is in my eyes that means it's not raining in the Lake District
I've already done it the other way.
« Last Edit: 13:23:35, 07/04/19 by madame cholet »

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:17:31, 07/04/19 »
... I've already done it the other way.
It is a truism but, of course, the views are very different depending on direction so it''ll be like seeing it for the first time again.

You'll enjoy the route up from Skiddaw House. I've passed it many times but never stayed thgere - it always strikes me as spookily remote in its grove of sombre trees (see the photo by - Dave - ).

Sale How to Skiddaw is a comparitively gentle ascent. - Dave - and I did it last year; here is his trip report:
http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.com/2017/11/sale-how-skiddaw-little-man.html

BTW, do you walk much in Northants?

Skip

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:10:51, 07/04/19 »
It is a truism but, of course, the views are very different depending on direction so it''ll be like seeing it for the first time again.

You'll enjoy the route up from Skiddaw House. I've passed it many times but never stayed thgere - it always strikes me as spookily remote in its grove of sombre trees (see the photo by - Dave - ).

Sale How to Skiddaw is a comparitively gentle ascent. - Dave - and I did it last year; here is his trip report:
http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.com/2017/11/sale-how-skiddaw-little-man.html

BTW, do you walk much in Northants?

Yes I've walked here all my life and bit  in Cambridgeshire too
I loved staying at Skidaw house.  Though I'd take advantage of tge height gain starting from Skidaw house. I did all the low level routes last time as I'd just recovered from chicken pox so the routes will be quite different too. I've done various routes from Borrowdale including the coast to coast but not Glaramara. Thank you the hlog looks interesting
« Last Edit: 20:21:57, 07/04/19 by madame cholet »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:44:23, 30/04/19 »
On the 14th April, I hiked from Rosthwaite to Carlisle. I hiked the whole of the Cumbria Way, north to south a few years ago. A few people have commented that the stretch from Carlisle to Caldbeck is rather boring, personally, I don't agree. I agree that the section from Carlisle to Dalston is a bit bland but from the Bridge End Inn, just beyond Dalston, when going south, the route I believe is fine and as you approach Caldbeck it gets even better. If you camp, there is a small campsite 5 mins from the pub, you walk past it on the way south, £5 a night.

As I walked this time from south to north, I chose when I got to Skiddaw house to turn to the right to get to Caldbeck. There is a choice if you want, you can go to the left, both paths get toi Caldbeck.

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:36:25, 30/04/19 »
Thank you I'm off on Wednesday morning hoping to get a few miles out of Carlisle Wednesday afternoon then get a lift to Caldbeck and finish the first section on day 2. We've booked into the camping barn at Hesketh Newmarket for 2 night then Skidaw house on the 3rd night.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 10:39:02, 01/05/19 »
It looks as though you will be following the route to Skiddaw House that I did. When I did the south to north route a while ago the Caldbeck to Keswick route was foggy and raining so I never saw a thing. When I did it recently from south to north I could see for miles. There's a hut at the top of the fells if you need it. Once past the hut, it 's mostly downhill or flattish to Skiddaw House. Have fun!

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:06:06, 03/05/19 »
Getting excited now stuff laid out on bed ready to pack, tried out new daysack,  boots trested and lots of  home dried vegetables in the kitchen.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 21:22:48, 03/05/19 »
Hope it goes well, enjoy O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy