Author Topic: Flapjack  (Read 1550 times)

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
Flapjack
« on: 11:28:42, 27/07/20 »
Anybody got any recipes for sugar free flapjacks?
several online recipes say Sugar free, but then have loads of honey etc.
So far I can make flapjack, that is solid from the fridge, but no good to take on a walk.
Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: Flapjack
« Reply #1 on: 13:04:34, 27/07/20 »
Hi
I understand that honey is sugar by any other name but are fruit (raisins, apricots etc) or fruit purees with their sugar content acceptable?
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:09:48, 27/07/20 »
Hi
I understand that honey is sugar by any other name but are fruit (raisins, apricots etc) or fruit purees with their sugar content acceptable?

Yes they are fine, it seems that getting something that binds it all together, that isn't sugar based is the problem. I can use butter but that isn't any good when out walking.

Van Morrison

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:06:45, 27/07/20 »
Sugar is a generic term.  Which of the  -oses are you trying to exclude?  Is it a diabetes or "refined" sugar issue?
Solvitur Ambulando

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:08:36, 27/07/20 »
Found this - haven't tried it but, if peanuts are ok, it might be suitable for you

Instructions
Pre-heat your oven to 180C (fan oven)
To a large mixing bowl add 2 peeled bananas and mash with a fork
Now add 125g gluten-free oats (I reckon ordinary oats would do - Jacquie) and 65g peanut butter and mix together
Line a baking tray with baking paper and roll into 6 balls placing onto the baking tray
Lightly press down with a fork into cookie shapes and place in the oven at 180C for 20 minutes
Allow to cool for 5 minutes before eating this helps them to firm up more!

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:32:36, 27/07/20 »
I thought the whole idea of a flapjack was the sugar.
If you take out the syrup and cane/beet sugar, you are left with oats and butter.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:52:09, 27/07/20 »
I don't have a recipe to hand, but I did make some cheese flapjacks once for my toddler grandson. I looked a recipe up online.I think it was just oats, cheese, butter and egg. My daughter makes some with apple. I’m guessing if you leave out the sugar, egg may bind it together.

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:59:45, 27/07/20 »
I am a diabetic, hence why I want to cut down on the sugar. I will give that recipe a try, thank you Jac.

I am a bit funny about egg. Not allergic, just don't like the texture. Some some cooked things with egg I am OK with, but not others.

Van Morrison

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:41:59, 27/07/20 »
Try
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/recipes/flapjacks.html
The agave nectar element looks a bit exotic but no doubt the internet sells it.

This one looks tempting
https://wholesomeireland.com/sugar-free-flapjacks/

See also https://www.greedygourmet.com/recipes-by-national-cuisine/english-recipes/sugar-free-flapjacks/#tasty-recipes-55490
Uses artificial sugar - whatever that is.
« Last Edit: 18:56:05, 27/07/20 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:13:53, 27/07/20 »
thank you for that ninthace, will give them a try.

Looks like I have a few recipes to try, thank you.

Anybody else got a recipe I can try?

Van Morrison

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:25:27, 27/07/20 »
I'm diabetic, type 2 but using insulin. Well I say diabetic, after losing 25kg I'm barely diabetic at all now.

What I will add though is that artifical sweeteners can be a curse as well as a blessing. A lot of people find that they give you a much closer relationship with the toilet than you may want. Which isn't ideal for walking (or a lot of things really!). So I'd see how you are with them first as you may be better with some brands than others.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:35:44, 27/07/20 »
I'm diabetic, type 2 but using insulin. Well I say diabetic, after losing 25kg I'm barely diabetic at all now.

What I will add though is that artifical sweeteners can be a curse as well as a blessing. A lot of people find that they give you a much closer relationship with the toilet than you may want. Which isn't ideal for walking (or a lot of things really!). So I'd see how you are with them first as you may be better with some brands than others.

Agree, always try to be careful with artificial sweeteners.

For those of you not familiar with the effects of artificial sweeteners, I suggest you goggle Haribo sugar free gummy bears, Amazon customer reviews. Even if you do know the possible effects it is worth a read, but please don't be drinking whilst reading them.

Van Morrison

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 23:08:11, 27/07/20 »
I would have thought that peanut butter or another nut butter might be a good base for a flapjack. Some of the brands such as Whole Earth or Meridien have no added sugar, but the consistency of some can vary from very dry to very oily with a solid block of nuts in the middle. Any dried fruits will have quite a high sugar content.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 00:16:37, 28/07/20 »
As the subject of artificial sweeteners came up just a reminder that such as Stevia, Truvia and others containing Xylitol are POISONOUS to dogs.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 08:52:01, 28/07/20 »
As the subject of artificial sweeteners came up just a reminder that such as Stevia, Truvia and others containing Xylitol are POISONOUS to dogs.
Worth knowing.

Had a small dog try to eat my burger one day, asked the owner if I could throw it a bit.
She said 'yes'.
So threw the dog to the other side of the fence.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy