Author Topic: What peice of gear or clothing are you buying next,and why.  (Read 16368 times)

kkm

fleece that zips into my waterproof.......

oh and another sealskinz hat for mr kkm, as he lost his last one.... ::)

of course, actually being able to do some walking at the moment would be a bonus, and would justify new items........ :o

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Well I was not planning to buy anything but I was walking past Millets and they were having a sale. For a while I've had either a tiny sack or 55l which normally meant that I carried the large one when out with the family with everyones belongings rattling about in it. So I've invested in a new 25l from Eurohike, I've heard mixed reports of them but both my children have them and the quality looks OK, and at £24.99 that is about 50p a pint :)
Its having a trip out tomorrow so we shall see.

al green

iv just bought new boots and a jacket as they were badly needed.

salomon alp 7 gtx boots by far the comfiest boots iv owned. :)

berghaus mera peak xcr jacket , iv not tested this yet but it was a bargain so i thought why not.

next on the never ending list is a decent rucksack.

Gizerd

I have a pretty extensive shopping list, but that's because 1. I'm not used to backpacking where you are walking every day. Normally I get up to a location in one day and stay a week, come down at the end. 2. When you do a trip like that, and you backpack arid regions, you almost never encounter rain and you certainly don't HIKE in it if it does. You hole up in the tent with your favorite person and play cards :)

So...

1. New pack...I have an old external frame, not good for carrying around for 2 months--REI has a decent 65L Osprey on sale 99 dollars
2. Rain cover for pack
3. Rain gear: jacket, trousers, gaiters, poncho? Not sure which combination will be best
4. New thermals for sleeping and chaffing :)
5. Maps maps and more maps...books

Lizzie

the coot

I'd like a Montane Atomic DT Jacket and possibly the trousers also, want a nice set of light-weight just in case waterproofs.

Ian s

• Veteran Member
Gizerd,
I'd go for jacket and trousers rather than poncho. Ponchos work well in warmer, less windy climates but in the UK 's changeable conditions it's good to have a flexible system.

With that in mind, think about waterproof overtrousers with zips at the bottom of the legs (if not full leg zips-the best option) so you can put them on and of several times a day without fuss!

If you're looking for good quality lightweight then I'd think about Marmot Pre-Cip stuff. Not too expensive, light, small pack size, full zip option for the trousers. Should be easily available over there! The sizing is on the small side though so bear that in mind.

My own shopping list?
Well, the hip flask is empty :(

Ian
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

muymalestado

She says I look a fool walking along beside her in her Cascada jacket and me in a 17 year old Jack Wolfskin.  See where this is going?  Yep.  I guess I need a new Alta II or similar.  Now; who's payin?
I think this next one will be the top ...

pete

Gizerd,stay clear of a poncho unless you only walk in calm weather,I tried one years ago ,from F&T I think,the idea being to cover up a large pack in the rain.It was as bad as the old bike cape I used 50yrs ago when I first started rambling.No stick to a decent wareproof jacket and cover your pack with a pack cover if necessary.
It must be tea time by now

Gizerd

Rockin, thanks for the advice. I'm going to do just that....jacket and backpack cover.

My only question is about gaiters/trousers...should I just buy overtrousers? or both?

I can imagine wearing shorts and wanting gaiters for the mud when its not raining...but I am trying to conserve weight.

blue

hi darksy. posted a few whw snaps in the photo section. hope you like em. :)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
Just bought and tested in the rean recently Montane Atomic waterproof shell. Excellent and cant recommend Montane high enough these days. Very imptressed.

Next on the list is some Scarpas and Seal Skinz gloves.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

the coot

Just bought and tested in the rean recently Montane Atomic waterproof shell. Excellent and cant recommend Montane high enough these days. Very imptressed.

Next on the list is some Scarpas and Seal Skinz gloves.

Thanks, as this will be my next purchase. I've been pretty impressed with Montane also, as a spec wearer though, the hoods could be better (Paramo have better hoods but are too warm for me, though the Fuera with a T shirt is just about okay).

Skinny Walker

I'll be buying a light tent and a new waterproof soon

Tent - Probably Vango Spectre 300
Waterproof - Marmot Shell (any further ideas would be welcome, as light and thin as possible)

Recently bought
Seal Skinz gloves - Simply brilliant!
Vaude Arcanda 30 - Best fitting pack I have ever had!
New boots - Brasher Trailmasters  - Taking a while to break in...ouch! :'(
You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well.  ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

cragster

• Veteran Member
I'm going for a pair of socks but am looking around for a cheap pair as I think they are expensive for what they are.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

pete

Chubbywalker,you wanted info on Marmot waterproof jackets,I have been using a Marmot Precip waterproof for about 18mths now and have been very pleased with it.Last summer was a good test for any waterproofs and the Precip passed ok in my mind.It is light,reasonably breathable,very waterproof and the pockets easily hold an OS map,making it a good buy for 3 season work and maybe more with the milder winters we have had here in the Yorkshire Dales.
It must be tea time by now

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy