Author Topic: Etrex H keeps shutting down  (Read 24593 times)

geordie33

• Veteran Member
Re: Etrex H keeps shutting down
« Reply #30 on: 17:12:07, 13/05/11 »
So much for that theory!
Unit failed today 2 miles into a walk-good paths so no climbing etc.Switched it back on and it stayed on for 9 miles.
Have tried shaking it etc but this does not cause a failure
No reply from Garmin so I am contacting Amazon who sold me it (2 actually -the other is faulty as well)
Guess you get what you pay for

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 17:37:26, 13/05/11 »
You said the batteries were still OK after your first walk with them and you weren't changing them as plenty of use still in them.  Perhaps what's causing it is the problem outlined by Scarface above?  Maybe you should try recharging them ... especially if they're not new so may not be as good at holding a charge as you think  ;)
Where there's a will ...

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 19:10:09, 13/05/11 »
Though the batteries don't actually fell unduly loose, I'm going to try mine for a few days in the Lakes next week with the bits of rubber band under the contacts (as in the 3rd link above), and with some self-adhesive green felt strips on the inside of the battery cover.

If it doesn't shut-off at all then I'll probably not send it to Garmin. If it does - even once - then I will.

I'll report back  :)

I used mine for a couple of days in The Lakes as planned...

I put bits of rubber beneath the battery contacts and self-adhesive felt on the inside of the battery cover.
I put brand new Duracell batteries in (have never used rechargeables btw).
On the 2nd day the unit shut off - once.
I sent it back to Garmin yesterday.

I'm absolutely convinced that it's a problem with the Etrex H and it's pot-luck whether you get a good or a faulty unit. When I mentioned as much to the chap at Garmin on the phone, he didn't seem to go out of his way to convince me otherwise.

I hope to receive my 4th unit in 9 months sometime next week - hopefully the law of averages holds out!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 00:32:02, 14/05/11 »
Good luck, hope it's sorted for you.  When it works the Etrex is a great piece of kit  O0
Where there's a will ...

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 07:31:31, 14/05/11 »
...When it works the Etrex is a great piece of kit  O0

I totally agree, had it been anything else I'd have asked for a refund long ago.

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 08:26:23, 14/05/11 »
Got an immediate reply from Amazon with a free return label and the offer of a full refund-absolutely first class customer service

Fleegle

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 08:57:49, 14/05/11 »
Have you tried hitting it with something hard ?              ;D

While I don't advocate (I'm sure that you're the same) physically knocking any equipment hard, basically, what was most likely happeneing was, the batteries were being shaken and just one break of a contact, immediately switched the GPS off.

Its a case of getting that right amount of shake to momentarily break the contact to replicate the fault.

I guess that's what you actually meant.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 09:17:23, 14/05/11 »
I suspect the 'break' in the circuit is internally, not the contacts in the battery compartment as I've tried practically everything short of soldering the batteries in!

...though I might be wrong

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 10:26:07, 14/05/11 »
I think it is an internal break-perhaps a dry joint.Like Glymo I have tried everything with the batteries
Does anyone know if this is only an Etrex H problem as I would like another GPS but Garmin seems to be the only real supplier of affordable units

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 11:33:18, 14/05/11 »
While you and glyno seem to have had problems it's not wide spread, and later Etrex's seem much better in that respect.  As glyno agrees, it is a great piece of kit and mine has worked flawlessly ... if I were you I'd give it another try.
Where there's a will ...

dellwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 11:43:38, 14/05/11 »
I agree with sussamb, give Garmin another go. Perhaps you should ring them about your problem, Garmin had a very good reputation for after-sales service.

I have two Garmin 12s, a 1996 model and a 1999 one. They have both been used on my boat since purchase and still work as if they were new. I also use one of them when out walking. I am sure the new models have more features and aren't as heavy on batteries, but I only use mine to confirm my position.

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 12:02:38, 14/05/11 »
My Etrex was only bought in January so is a later model.Amazon are fully refunding so no need to contact Garmin again (e mailed them a while ago-no reply)Cannot decide what to do about a replacement

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 12:17:16, 14/05/11 »
While you and glyno seem to have had problems it's not wide spread...

Mention of the problem does crop up on several other forums (as I've previously linked to).

...and later Etrex's seem much better in that respect.

All of the faulty ones I've owned have been less than 9 months old. I had an older Etrex a few years ago which worked perfectly.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 12:23:03, 14/05/11 »
My Etrex was only bought in January so is a later model.Amazon are fully refunding so no need to contact Garmin again (e mailed them a while ago-no reply)Cannot decide what to do about a replacement

Geordie, if the problem persists, just keep returning the unit until you get a satisfactory one.

Manufacturers often know when there's a fault/quality issue with a product but are often prepared to persist in the knowledge that the customer will tire of complaining.

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 13:46:58, 14/05/11 »
I own a Etrex H

Not a clue what is causing the problem.

Myself I have experienced it on occasion.

I have used several types of battery, chargeable and none chargeable.

Glyno has posted he uses only quality non chargeable batteries.

Could it be a sensitive PWR button? Turn on your Etrex H, let it start etc. Then hold it in your hand and slightly push in the PWR button and hold for 5 sec. See how lightly you can press and hold the PWR button while still having the off effect. 

If anyone solves this problem I hope you post the answer to Re: Etrex H keeps shutting down

Jim  :)

« Last Edit: 14:15:11, 14/05/11 by Theguyuk »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy