Author Topic: Scarpa Ranger 2 Any experience of the new ranger boot or alternative suggestions  (Read 27127 times)

lostme1

• Veteran Member
Has any one any knowledge or experience of these boots. I can only find offical reviews of them, no actual user comments. I am looking for a leather boot, 3 season for use in the White Peak and South Downs and thought thses seemed quite good.

I have looked at the Scarpa Terra, I like the weight but I can feel the stones through the soles which on the flintly South Downs makes it hard on the feet.

Any suggestions other boots, fabric or leather, with well cushioned but not too stiff/inflexible soles as I don't do really hard walking across trackless terrain would also be appreciated. I don't mind paying the price if the boots meet my needs. I know those with lower prices don't always last.

Any help/comments appreciated. Thanks
« Last Edit: 19:01:30, 20/03/12 by lostme1 »
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
Standard advice: Go to a good outdoors goods store with a proper boot fitting service. Tell them type of walking you do. Then try on boot after boot of ones they confirm are appropriate for type of walking you do. Buy when your gut reaction is "that's perfect".

It might still go wrong... but at least you will have nudged odds heavily in your favour. Don't buy a boot because somebody else finds it a good fit.... feet aren't standard issue.

Seriously.... suggest you just let us know region you live in, so that people can recommend good shops.

Paulr

• Veteran Member
I have looked at these in Cotswold Outdoors as a possibility for my next boots.  Feel nice & comfy - they have a moulded & padded heel area which is lovely - but only if your heel fits well within the padding.

As paul said in previous post the best thing to do is try them (and as many others as you can) on before you make your choice.
The worlds most boring blog : http://fatscotsgit.blogspot.co.uk/

lostme1

• Veteran Member
Paul and Paul

Thanks for your advice. I tried the shop advice route and thought I had got a good pair but they turned out to be too stiff and I can't walk more than 2-3 miles in them which is why a I looking for an alternative.

I have tried on the scarpa ranger 2 and they felt good. But having made one poor decision I am trying to get as much information as I can get before spending my money again. I don't want to get it wrong twice.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
Paul and Paul

Thanks for your advice. I tried the shop advice route and thought I had got a good pair but they turned out to be too stiff and I can't walk more than 2-3 miles in them which is why a I looking for an alternative.

I have tried on the scarpa ranger 2 and they felt good. But having made one poor decision I am trying to get as much information as I can get before spending my money again. I don't want to get it wrong twice.

Sorry to hear about shop experience. As I mentioned in first posting, even if you use that route.... it doesn't guarantee success. Leather boots especially seem inherently just a bit chancy, however careful you are in original selection, more so than fabric boots, or walking shoes. So much so that next time I find a pair I really take to, I'm going to buy a second pair almost immediately before model is improved.

Had a look at Trail reviews of Scarpa Ranger 2.... doesn't say much. But confirms it is suitable for general valley, and hillwalking... would be fine for White Peak and South downs. In general Scarpa have a good rep... suspect any boot they make will be at least sound. (I've used Scarpa Infinity boots for last year, mostly in White Peak with no real problems... though they are not as comfortable for me as my old Brasher Supalites.)

Returning to issue of shop... one I normally use is pretty helpful with boot problems. They always say go back if any issues... different lacing methods/ different socks can make a surprising diff. And if worse comes to worst, they take boots back, giving at least some trade in value against new pair. So may be worth contacting shop you used, and certainly worth asking on this forum for views on best shops in your vicinity.

Paulr

• Veteran Member
Paul and Paul

Depends what you mean by shop advice of course.  The old adage is let your foot choose the boot - ie go for what is the most comfortable.  The shop can advise you on the types of boots they stock that matches the type of walking you want to do (eg will you ever use crampons) and then let you try on the potential boots - but ultimately its you that has to decide which is the most comfortable. 

Should you have any concerns about the comfort/fit then keep the labels on and walk about the house in them for about a week or so - going up & down the stairs a lot in them helps too

lostme1

• Veteran Member
Just to thank Paul and Paul for the advice and here's update on my decision.

I purchased Scarpa Ranger 2 GTX from Go Outdoors, the attraction not only being price but the fact that they had a 90 days returns policy so I could give them a good try out in the house first.

I have now taken the plunge and worn them outside and have worked my way up to 6 miles on flat Essex walks. The right boot is great but the left I need to soften the top forefoot at the base of  my toes where I flex my foot as the boot digs into the top of my foot slightly where I have the start of a bunion.

I did wonder if I stood the boots in water for an hour or so and then went for a walk with damp leather if this would ease the leather. I have used nikwax leather conditioner twice but the boots need more softening.

Has anyone any other suggestions for breaking in the boots without breaking my own foot.

Paulr

• Veteran Member
I know someone who gives his new leather boots a couple of applications of olive oil which he insists not only soften the leather but it helps it keep supple for a long period.  His current boots are 5 years old and have only just started to crack - he walks about 3 times a week at about 8-10 miles a walk, so there is maybe something in that

Trampilot

Tried on Scarpa Ranger 1 & 2 recently - both were ok but didn't quite fit as well as the Scarpa ZG10s I ended up with. They were on sale for £125 but got another discount on top of that too. Worth a look. Feel very strong and could take some abuse I think.

Wayne s

• Veteran Member
How did you get on in the end with the rangers, I just got a pair and they feel OK around the house.

lostme1

• Veteran Member
How did you get on in the end with the rangers, I just got a pair and they feel OK around the house.

Wish I could give you a full update but unfortunately since my last post I have only done one short, flat walk as I picked up an bug and was allergic to the antibotics :( . I am only now getting back on my feet :) . I was hoping to have got them worn in by now as I am off to the Peak District this weekend.

The 5 mile walk I did they seemed ok apart from the left one where I have the tender area of my bunion. It's a shame I couldn't walk in all the recent wet weather we have in May as it may have helped ease the leather.

yamyam

• Veteran Member
Tried on Scarpa Ranger 1 & 2 recently - both were ok but didn't quite fit as well as the Scarpa ZG10s I ended up with. They were on sale for £125 but got another discount on top of that too. Worth a look. Feel very strong and could take some abuse I think.
Excuse me for butting in but i purchased a pair of ZG10s 4 weeks ago from cotswold and they cost £110.00. So far 40 miles walked and the boots are perfect although not much lighter than my scarpa,s and my feet dont seem to sweat in these. O0
Every journey begins with a single footprint.
Nuts about walking.

Wayne s

• Veteran Member
Thanks for the reply. HoPe you are better and the boots work out for you.

Wayne s

• Veteran Member
Took mine back in the end, just did not feel right. I have made  a expensive mistake before with boots.

Trampilot

Excuse me for butting in but i purchased a pair of ZG10s 4 weeks ago from cotswold and they cost £110.00. So far 40 miles walked and the boots are perfect although not much lighter than my scarpa,s and my feet dont seem to sweat in these. O0

Well butted! Actually I think they were £110... I bought a lot of stuff that day!!

I actually prefer them to my ZG65s - though I think they will be better in hot dry weather ... whenever that might appear again.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy