Author Topic: My new boots caused shin pain  (Read 26320 times)

sparklebug

• Veteran Member
My new boots caused shin pain
« on: 20:23:41, 27/06/12 »
I wore my new boots today for a short walk, probably not even 3 miles and my shins are really painful this evening. The boots felt comfy in the shop and around the flat so I don't know why I'm in pain. My little pinkies also hurt and again walking around the flat this didn't happen.

Would inserts stop this from happening again. I've got Berhaus Explorer Ridge boots so not exactly cheap (to me anyway).  I got them from a shop that didn't measure feet so I was banana there wasn't I?

I don't think I'm ever going to learn where walking boots are concerned :(

Sparklebug aka Theresa

inline

Re: My new boots caused shin pain
« Reply #1 on: 20:43:52, 27/06/12 »
Hi Sparklebug
I had a simular problem earlier this year with a new pair of Scarpa ranger, was advised to replace the insole with a thicker/softer option. So i tried Brasher's 5mm footbed and they seem to have done the trick, maybe worth a try.
  :)
UTV-SOTC

Gary

« Reply #2 on: 20:46:42, 27/06/12 »
Inserts or footbeds are mainly used to reduce the volume of the boot unless you have issues with your feet when to can get specific inserts for different feet issues. Shins - is it that the boots are heavier than others and so using more muscle flex. Pinkies - have you enough room at the front of boot so your toes don't bash on declines and is the fit narrower on these boots than previous

sparklebug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:02:07, 27/06/12 »
The fit is narrower and is snug, I got them because of this, my other boots (2 pairs) are bigger and I found that walking down hills bruised my pinkies and turned the nails black and painful. The boots are a little bit heavier but not much.

If it's the weight that causing my shin pain, I'll try and toughen up, I am a bit of a wimp :)

Do you think I should try stretching/widening the toe part of the boots?

These are the last pair I can afford to buy so I really hope I can get around these issues :(
Sparklebug aka Theresa

walking-books

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:13:58, 27/06/12 »
The fit is narrower and is snug, I got them because of this, my other boots (2 pairs) are bigger and I found that walking down hills bruised my pinkies and turned the nails black and painful. The boots are a little bit heavier but not much.

If it's the weight that causing my shin pain, I'll try and toughen up, I am a bit of a wimp :)

Do you think I should try stretching/widening the toe part of the boots?

These are the last pair I can afford to buy so I really hope I can get around these issues :(

How long have you had them? I'd have a go at taking them back to explain the situation and get them to fit you for another make.
Mike

www.walking-books.com
Books, guides and maps on Britain's best scenic walks

Come and have a chat on Twitter - walkingbookscom

sparklebug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:20:42, 27/06/12 »
I've had them for weeks but haven't been able to get out walking until today.

This may be another daft question from me but as I'm losing weight will my feet get smaller? I don't mean in size but obviously as I'm very overweight I must have fat on my feet. I'm kind of thinking that if my feet shrink the boots may fit better or am I being silly?
Sparklebug aka Theresa

Gary

« Reply #6 on: 21:50:46, 27/06/12 »
Black and bruised nails are normally a sign of your toes hitting the front of the boot when going downhill. Do you have room to put your finger down the back of your boot without your toes hitting the front ?
Maybe try lacing them different to keep your feet from moving in the boot. Look at Google and run a search for different ways.

sparklebug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:11:07, 27/06/12 »
thanks Gary, I'll do a google search. My feet don't touch the front if I wear normal socks which is what I wearing when I bought them and around the house  :-[ but with my 1000 mile socks on they do touch the front with my fingers down the back.  I'm so bloody stupid at times, I can't believe I didn't try them on with my thick socks  :'( and I told a new member to get decent comfy boots and I've done the opposite  ::)
Sparklebug aka Theresa

Teadrinker

« Reply #8 on: 22:25:23, 27/06/12 »
Can I ask where you got them from?

sparklebug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:33:19, 27/06/12 »
It was a shoe shop when I was out for the day a couple of months ago, I can't even remember the name or what town as we went for a drive and was out for hours :( I haven't even got the receipt as I binned it when I tided my bag out.  I know I'm a numpty, I never learn either!
Sparklebug aka Theresa

nvl35

« Reply #10 on: 07:37:41, 28/06/12 »
Probably a bit obvious but have you cut your toenails ? slightly long nails can cause sore toes.
Don't wait for your ship to come in
Swim out and meet the bloody thing !

Barry Sheene

robstubbs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 08:13:11, 28/06/12 »
Are your shins painful from direct rubbing / knocking or is it more like a strain ?  Sometimes new boots do need a bit of wearing in and softening - and ditto your feet need to get used to them.  Walking around indoors will really only get the soles of your feet used to the boots.  My walking is generally pretty infrequent such that my feet have forgotten what the boots are like every time I wear them  :-\   But thankfully none of my boots have led to foot or leg pain.

Rob.

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:38:46, 28/06/12 »
i would have worn hiking socks to try them on, but you know that, have you tried merrell boots
you have 1 life live it

Gareth Sear

« Reply #13 on: 10:29:27, 28/06/12 »
Hi - have a look at this link it details some of the reasons that you may get shin splints. It appears that they can be casued by goign from hard to soft ground (changes int eh footbed of your boot?), pronation - again changes in the foot bed and can be corrected with insoles such as Superfeet. It may be that your feet are getting used to the new boots and your muscles are working differently so you may need to do lots of short walks to get used to the boots and how they walk.

Do a google search on shin splints and there are a number of sites that will advice on the problems and how to rectify this.

(I can't paste in a link!)

Hope this helps and let me know now you get on.

Gareth

sparklebug

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 10:36:28, 28/06/12 »
Thanks everyone, I know I should have tried them on with walking socks but we were in the shop and my mum said try them on I'll go half with you and the temptation was too much.

I'm going to google all the suggestions today and also going to put wet newspaper in the toe area to stretch them a bit.

I've now learned that temptation is bad :)

Sparklebug aka Theresa

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy