Author Topic: A good torch for walking/hiking  (Read 23831 times)

wintonian

Re: A good torch for walking/hiking
« Reply #30 on: 02:27:23, 05/09/13 »
A vote here for the Zebralight H51, I don't have one but it's on my list of things to buy it has very good reviews and seems like it could have been made for Hiking/ backpacking.

I currently use a Petzl tikka 2 which lives in my day sack as a just in case and a Mayo RXP  if I go out at night or expect to still be out during the evening in winter. I also carry an ITP A2 SS on my keyring which in itself is more than adequate for getting me out if darkness suddenly descends.

One light I don't suggest you take is the Sunwayman D40A - Not too long ago I was walking home in the dark along a fairly new tarmacked cycle path that is also popular with dog walkers etc. anyway I was walking along in the dark with the torch turned off in my hand and I heard a noise so pressed my finger on the button to turn the thing on. Unfortunately the sight of me and this thing sending out 980 lumens and turning darkness into daylight absolutely terrified this couple, to whom I just appeared to from out of nowhere.  :o I also had the pleasure of bemusing a cyclist who's (fairly bright) light was rendered pointless for several meters  ;D

The moral of this story - if you go out walking at night without a torch then don't be surprised is other pepole do to and suddenly appear.

cbr6fs

« Reply #31 on: 09:32:02, 05/09/13 »
A vote here for the Zebralight H51, I don't have one but it's on my list of things to buy it has very good reviews and seems like it could have been made for Hiking/ backpacking.

I think you are going the struggle there as the H51 was discontinued a few years ago

wintonian

« Reply #32 on: 14:13:49, 05/09/13 »
I thought it was discontinued more recently? Either way you can get the H51 from Flashaholics still, but I'll admit I am holding out to see what any replacement might look like.

Kev627

« Reply #33 on: 14:43:10, 05/09/13 »
About 15 years ago I worked in an outdoor shop in Salisbury and the only torch ever talked about was the Maglite range. Reliable, durable (several people claiming to have driven over theirs without any damage), waterproof and certainly the larger ones were very bright.
Is Maglite still considered as one of the better brands to buy today?

MJH

« Reply #34 on: 14:43:58, 05/09/13 »
I have a ultrafire wf502b, claimed 1000 lumens on full whack, been using it for about 18months and its been great. Pretty cheap too.

cbr6fs

« Reply #35 on: 15:37:09, 05/09/13 »
I thought it was discontinued more recently? Either way you can get the H51 from Flashaholics still, but I'll admit I am holding out to see what any replacement might look like.

The replacement was/is the H502, been using one pretty much daily for around 1 year now for reading my Kindle at night.

It's a ok torch.
Decent output and light weight and great for close up work.

It's a terrible hiking torch though as the beam is THAT diffused and spread out that it's tough to see anything more than say 2 meters away.

The H600 on the other hand is a fantastic night hiking torch, great run time, great beam pattern, still fairly lightweight and because it has a more focused beam it allows you to see clearly where you are putting your feet.

About 15 years ago I worked in an outdoor shop in Salisbury and the only torch ever talked about was the Maglite range. Reliable, durable (several people claiming to have driven over theirs without any damage), waterproof and certainly the larger ones were very bright.
Is Maglite still considered as one of the better brands to buy today?

Hi Kev,

The Maglite range are pretty much useless these days.
You can find torches with higher output, better built, lower weight and just as tough for less money.

They have started moving over to LED's in the past few years, but they are years behind companies like Fenix or Zebralight.

You can also get LED upgrades for most Maglite torches, but unless you change the entire head the beam quality is shocking, there are more dark spots than not.

wintonian

« Reply #36 on: 16:06:42, 05/09/13 »
I was thinking more of the H52w, allegedly due for release at the end of the month - which might prove a better choice for these things.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 19:36:29, 05/09/13 »
As mentioned previously in this thread, I have an LED Lenser P7. It gives very good light output with a strong full beam, but it does have an issue with the switch (I'm on my 3rd). The shop replaced them but that's it if this one fails and I'm now in the market for a good quality head torch.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 20:25:06, 05/09/13 »
Switch/contacts on the Lenzer can stick ... I've always managed to resolve it with WD40.
Where there's a will ...

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 20:37:45, 05/09/13 »
Switch/contacts on the Lenzer can stick ... I've always managed to resolve it with WD40.
.  The fix anything fluid  O0

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 20:51:57, 05/09/13 »
Yeah  ;D

Often with the Lenzers like the P7 it's the sprung contacts at the end of the battery pack that stick, thus not making contact.  A lot of us in the SAR team I'm in have Lenzers and they are great when they're working, just occasionally they need a bit of liquid persuasion ... bit like most of us  O0
Where there's a will ...

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 21:10:43, 05/09/13 »
Yeah  ;D

Often with the Lenzers like the P7 it's the sprung contacts at the end of the battery pack that stick, thus not making contact.  A lot of us in the SAR team I'm in have Lenzers and they are great when they're working, just occasionally they need a bit of liquid persuasion ... bit like most of us  O0
. Yes it always seems to be the half beam works but the main beam won't stay on unless you hold the button in. Incredible beam in pitch darkness  O0

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 21:21:02, 05/09/13 »
That almost certainly is a sticky contact. I now squirt mine with juice every few weeks. Not had an issue since doing that.
Where there's a will ...

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 21:23:43, 05/09/13 »
I'll be sure to give mine a squirt of juice if it happens again  ;D

AndyD

« Reply #44 on: 18:15:40, 07/09/13 »
I quite fancy this torch...it will even toast you some marshmallows:

http://www.wickedlasers.com/torch

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy