Author Topic: Which GPS  (Read 19842 times)

FOX160

Re: Which GPS
« Reply #30 on: 22:25:28, 20/12/14 »
I am sure it will all go ok for you as you have done some ground work already, I started using mine on local walks to get confidence in it as well as learning how to use it before I ventured further afield using it. I have read on previous posts people just put them in sealable bags as well but haven't tried that yet myself. One of the reasons I was looking at a dedicated GPS was because of the time it takes to put in and out of the case in the post above.

On my last 2 walks ive been trying a new case which is real easy to put the phone in and out and use and only cost £6
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271319504695?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
so far I am impressed its straight in and out compared to the other one with little alan key bolts to undo but I cant plug my charger in or ear phones while its in the new case.

Best of luck with your walk and phone

Picture of my simple but effective phone/GPS holder

That case I have that the clip falls apart at the Bottom.   But was a good idea and the receiver of the call can barley hear you.  shame 

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 15:37:47, 21/12/14 »
My case is working fine inc the clip maybe you should send it back for a new one if yours has broken. I agree on the calls which is a good thing shows how protected the phone is in the case and why I use Bluetooth headset or ear phones when in the case. I have used the case today as I wanted ear phones to listen to music and I've had it about 10 to 11 months. It's still as good as it was the day I got it.
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

Bradders

« Reply #32 on: 22:37:03, 27/12/14 »
I'm thinking of getting a garmin etrex 30?
Anyone tried these??
Want to get out of this concrete jungle!!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 23:01:54, 27/12/14 »
No, but many of us have an Etrex 20 and it gives a very good 'bang for the buck' ... all I suggest is you think seriously about whether the (few) additional features of the 30 are worth the extra over the Etrex 20.
Where there's a will ...

Bradders

« Reply #34 on: 00:10:24, 28/12/14 »
Appreciated.
Yes, good point as the extras are already built into my watch
Want to get out of this concrete jungle!!

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 08:13:00, 28/12/14 »
I know someone with the etrex 30 and whilst it is a nice device I agree that the extras are not worth the additional cost.The 20 is the one to buy in the etrex range I think and does enough for most people.I have the 62s and this definately has features which I am unlikely to use.Like the robust feel of the unit though.

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 10:56:48, 28/12/14 »
I think I must be missing some points with dedicated GPS units.
I totally agree with that they are robust, designed for the use etc. But the screens are small, and they have only one use. I presume that like any electronic item they can fail?
1. Maps. My phone has the 1:25 maps of the whole of the north of England. A second cheap phone can have the same. (With or without GPS). Though in the event of catastrophe I can always just go back.
2. Screen size. I understand that the typical size is 2.5". I started with that size screen years ago, its ok, but now my screen is twice the size. Which means that even without my glasses I can still see enough.
3. What information do I want? Grid ref I have but don't need. I can see where I am at a glance and my direction of travel.
4. Robustness. Dedicated unit wins, though not always. Plus I can add robustness for a small cost. (Rhino has the perfect one)
5. I can call for help, call home, get weather info, get advice, etc etc. I also have a camera and many other things.
6. My GPS is free. and will act as a satnav in the car, and play music in the car. I can watch BBC news in the car while waiting. Or films or whatever.

Also, there are now very cheap tablet devices that also have GPS built in. For anything between £50 and £200 you can have a 7" screen and backup. Typical weight 160 grams.
Sorry, I yabber on after taking pain meds.  :-[ 
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 11:41:31, 28/12/14 »
I'm not sure for your use you're missing anything, at the end of the day if it works for you then go with it  ;)
Where there's a will ...

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 15:28:24, 28/12/14 »
Ive just started using my phone as the satnav in the car after my tom tom broke, it cost me £5 for a windscreen mount and a free App that works fine and the cheapest tom tom was about £100
I am really pleased with it so far and just another money saving aspect and versatility of the smartphone  ;)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 17:24:59, 28/12/14 »
Ive just started using my phone as the satnav in the car after my tom tom broke, it cost me £5 for a windscreen mount and a free App that works fine and the cheapest tom tom was about £100
I am really pleased with it so far and just another money saving aspect and versatility of the smartphone  ;)

You mean there are cars that don't have a map display?  How quaint.   ;D
Solvitur Ambulando

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 17:27:17, 28/12/14 »
You mean there are cars that don't have a map display?  How quaint.   ;D

;D

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 12:51:11, 29/12/14 »
No, but many of us have an Etrex 20 and it gives a very good 'bang for the buck' ...

Not if you are wanting OS mapping and on a dedicated GPS unit the Memory map units are the best value.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 13:19:36, 29/12/14 »
You can add OS mapping should you want it to the Etrex 20/30 models in various ways, just like you can with most Garmin GPS, or buy it bundled with them.  If you want OS mapping then a bundle invariably works out cheaper.  Good deal on the 62 with full UK OS 1:50K mapping here, and included is the full UK road map so you can use it as a car satnav also:

http://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/63007199-garmin-gpsmap-62s-gps-discoverer-bundle-with-gb-1-50-os-map.html

Having said that I've navigated for years simply with free OSM mapping.

Garmin also provide a way of creating custom maps, so you can scan and load any OS paper maps you happen to have at no cost.  Here's a portion of one I made earlier

Where there's a will ...

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 14:08:14, 29/12/14 »
You can add OS mapping should you want it to the Etrex 20/30 models in various ways, just like you can with most Garmin GPS, or buy it bundled with them.  If you want OS mapping then a bundle invariably works out cheaper.  Good deal on the 62 with full UK OS 1:50K mapping here, and included is the full UK road map so you can use it as a car satnav also:

http://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/63007199-garmin-gpsmap-62s-gps-discoverer-bundle-with-gb-1-50-os-map.html

Having said that I've navigated for years simply with free OSM mapping.

Garmin also provide a way of creating custom maps, so you can scan and load any OS paper maps you happen to have at no cost.

I know OS mapping can be added to the range at an extremely high price as my research demonstrated and the 62s bundle is still £30 more expensive than the Memory map option without a trade in and £80 more expensive with a trade in.

People may be happy to navigate with OSM mapping I certainly learnt it was better than I thought but I still prefer OS mapping and a lot of it does come down to preference and personal choice and what you are comfortable or used to. 

I don’t buy anything without doing my own research but some people don’t and when they ask for advice I think its important that the advice given is the most accurate it can be at that time so they can make the right decsion for them. Don’t get me wrong I am not debating your experience, knowledge, opinion or preference on the use of GPS and different devices but when you say it gives a very good bang for the buck when it isn’t in some circumstances this gives people the wrong impression and as a result they could end up paying more in the long run if they for example say wanted to start using OS mapping.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 14:22:50, 29/12/14 »
Well I agree that facts are important but you seem to overplay the cost of Garmin OS mapping.  For example in your price matrix in your first post you quote £199 for full OS UK mapping, yet the link I posted above offers that bundled with the 62 for £230, given that the device itself is generally a few hundred pounds the mapping is almost free  ;)

I'm also not sure where you've seen a comparable Memory map device for £200 with full OS mapping, but that too would be a good deal.

I don't believe though they have the ability to add (for free) scans of your own mapping, be it OS or any other 'map', something I've used on Garmins to great effect.  Here's a cycle map I was able to copy and overlay onto my OSM map when the family went cycling in Wales:

Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy