Author Topic: Choosing footwear  (Read 20965 times)

Phil32

Choosing footwear
« on: 21:53:56, 20/01/15 »
Hi folks

I've just joined and said hi on the newbie board and figure now is the time to ask my most pressing question...

How do i go about choosing footwear??

I'm new to the hiking game and my aspiration is to do a trail hike, camping over a few days as I move. This would mean a backpack and preferably some mountainous terrain. I cant help but feel this question is a can of worms?? All advice and tips appreciated!

altirando

• Veteran Member
Re: Choosing footwear
« Reply #1 on: 23:13:02, 20/01/15 »
I am afraid you will get a lot of advice - but not necessarily everyone will agree - so you might be more confused than before and wish you hadn't asked!  We all have our own approach, likes and dislikes.

Lazar

« Reply #2 on: 01:27:34, 21/01/15 »
The only advise i would give is to go for an out and out boot maker i have meindl's and a pair of Hanwag's.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 06:34:30, 21/01/15 »
First set a max budget for boots you're happy to pay...bearing in mind its most important part of your kit...the one that if wrong will make practically all your walking miserable.

Beyond that...I'd say find a good shop near you. (One that has qualified boot/ shoe fitters, a wide range of footwear, a walking slope, and the time and enthusiasm to spend as long as it takes to identify sort of walking you're doing and send time helping you try as many boots as it takes.)

Then make your choice primarily on how comfortable boot feels...your instant gut reaction on trying boot on and walking in it should be "Wow, that's really comfortable". Do not fall for line that "it will bed in with use"...most modern boots don't, not really.

It can still go wrong after all that...but doing that nudges odds in your favour. Seriously don't buy a set of boots via internet because some "oracle" tells you they are a good make and a bargain.

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:13:40, 21/01/15 »
Agree with everything said so far. I have always liked Scarpa boots, both summer fabric and winter leather. When buying, take with you whatever socks you usually wear and buy in an afternoon when feet are slightly larger. A general rule is that you need a size larger than shoes but the fact is that footwear sizes vary so it is best to buy from somewhere with one of those slope things so you can check that toes will not stub on descents.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:24:43, 21/01/15 »
I absolutely agree with Paul's post above so long as you know that you are going to keep walking. If you are really just starting out I would say go to Sports Direct, take some walking socks with you, and buy some Karrimore fabric boots for £40. Once you've done a few walks and decided that you are hooked then invest in a good pair of boots and use the Karrimores for walking the dog.

I love my Meindl boots but what suits me may be agony for you.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:23:34, 21/01/15 »
... so it is best to buy from somewhere with one of those slope things so you can check that toes will not stub on descents.

Vital IMO ... nothing worse than stubbing toes on descents  O0
Where there's a will ...

chrisj

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:34:01, 21/01/15 »
As others have said get to a store with a good range and try on LOADS. Take the socks that you are going to wear in them with you.  If you can go in when they are quiet so much the better, and most decent shops will be quite happy for you to spend a long time trying on many pairs to find the right ones. The best pair of boots are the ones that fit you the best. Walk around the shop for a while in them. If they have a slope stomp down it for a while and check that you don't slide to the front of the boots and make your toes sore. Walk up the slope and make sure your heels don't slip up and down, as this will lead to blisters. When you stand sideways on the slope do you slide about sideways in the boots or are your feet nicely supported? Check with the shop, many will let you return them for a full refund or exchange as long as they haven't been worn outside. If this is the case wear them round the house for a few hours to make sure that they are still as comfy after wearing them for a while.
Everyone has different feet so what suits one person may not suit someone else at all. Personally I'd rather have a cheaper pair that I had to replace more often but were as comfy as a pair of slippers than a top of the range pair that lasted for 20 years but were pergatory to wear. By the same token I'd rather stretch my budget for the right pair than get a less comfy pair in order to save a few quid. At the end of the day, the comfort of your boots will have more of an impact on your enjoyment of the day, than pretty much any other piece of kit that you own.
www.chrisjacksoncoaching.co.uk
From Mountain Summit to River Bank

Charlieslater

« Reply #8 on: 12:10:55, 21/01/15 »
I had Berghaus boots which seemed to fit fine in the shop. Planter Faciitus ? nearly crippled me, amost had to stop going on the hill. Changed to Altbergs, Planter cleared up almost overnight (had it for three years previously) but now my big toe  hurts. (one foot only) Cant win !
53 years old=only 4 more world cups/Olympic games.

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:22:14, 21/01/15 »
I absolutely agree with Paul's post above so long as you know that you are going to keep walking. If you are really just starting out I would say go to Sports Direct, take some walking socks with you, and buy some Karrimore fabric boots for £40. Once you've done a few walks and decided that you are hooked then invest in a good pair of boots and use the Karrimores for walking the dog.

I love my Meindl boots but what suits me may be agony for you.

I did the same started off cheap not wanting to spend serious money thinking £100 for a pair of boots no way and i didnt know if it was a fad or something i would take up as a hobby  ;D   As my walking got more serious and longer duration i was wearing out/splitting cheap boots really fast, started to spend a bit more and wore them out as well and eventually invested in some Meindl and eventually heard about Altbergs as ive wide feet and havent had to buy any other boots for over a year now. You really do get what you pay for with all walking gear but you can find the odd good pair here and there that suit your particular style of walking and are cheap, the trouble is you generally dont find out how good they are until youve bought and used them.

True about the going to the shop and getting a fitting, once youve found your boots why not buy them from the internet? generally cheaper or if sold at Go outdoor get the price match and save some money. Dont feel obliged to buy from the shop just because they told you what size foot you are or let you try them on thats what shops are for, the internet is where to buy or use to your advantage and save money on price match to save on your hard earned cash.

Every time i go in Go Outdoors/Craghoppers etc i try on everything i would like to buy make a note of the sizes and items and then if at some point i want to buy or they go on sale at a great price i use price match if possible or buy from the internet if cheaper knowing the size and fit is good  O0 

Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

Phil32

« Reply #10 on: 20:36:28, 21/01/15 »
Folks,
Fantastic set of answers thank you, really the sort of tips I was looking for, especially the 'if it feels right' comments. I went to Blacks the other night but none of the boots I tried on felt good, so I walked away and joined this forum ! The lady in the shop couldnt answer my questions (and fair play to her, was completely up front about this), so I came away to research.

I did find a nice Jack Wolfskin 3 in 1 though... jackets I guess were always going to be less of a minefield than feet!

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:41:40, 21/01/15 »
Hi Phil
There is a video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ9hb65XfIs by the guy who runs Go Outdoors for some basic guidance.
Regards Keith

Phil32

« Reply #12 on: 20:44:10, 21/01/15 »
A further query there as well... do you tend to go for thick socks or thin? Im guessing breathable is a must but dont know if sock choice is affected by any factors?

Phil32

« Reply #13 on: 20:54:13, 21/01/15 »
Just had a watch of that Keith thanks, my suspicion is 'middle of the road' for me. Hopefully will get back to a shop late tommorrow!

cbr6fs

« Reply #14 on: 23:33:53, 21/01/15 »
Do yourself a favour and try a decent set of lightweight trail runners before you hand over your hard earned.

I wear them all the time now, you couldn't pay me enough to go back to heavy sweaty boots

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy