Author Topic: GAITERS  (Read 21050 times)

vinny

GAITERS
« on: 16:25:06, 25/01/15 »
Gaiters. I don’t like wearing gaiters but I will put them on when its muddy.    Anyone know which gaiters stay up because thats one of the most annoying thing I find with then,  always slipping down my leg.

geordie33

• Veteran Member
Re: GAITERS
« Reply #1 on: 16:30:29, 25/01/15 »
I agree with you.Bought some Spatz which are more rigid and stay up no bother.Plus with velcro fitting you can adjust them to you leg.

vinny

« Reply #2 on: 16:37:00, 25/01/15 »
Thanks for that geordie33 I'll go and have a look at Spatz. I'm doing the Pennine Way in April so I expect I'll need some for that.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:39:56, 25/01/15 »
I haven't worn gaiters for years having left my last pair on a hill. I never liked wearing them and find it is very rare that I miss not having them, I much prefer wearing my overtrousers with the sides open. Before you invest in a new pair try without them for a while.

My son and I are planning the PW for next year, I'll be interested to hear how it goes for you, what accommodation are you planning to use?

vinny

« Reply #4 on: 16:54:02, 25/01/15 »
I’ve heard of walker putting boot wax on the lower part of there trousers to keep them dry but I’ve never tried it.
I'm B&Bing the PW, going to start booking accommodation next weekend

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:58:40, 25/01/15 »
Thanks for that geordie33 I'll go and have a look at Spatz. I'm doing the Pennine Way in April so I expect I'll need some for that.
You are welcome.I have never seen them in shops.Just google spatz.I bought them on line -no problem-about £15 I think

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:03:08, 25/01/15 »
I'm B&Bing the PW, going to start booking accommodation next weekend
I'll await your TR with interest, we are planning to hostel and B&B.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:12:41, 25/01/15 »
I have a set of Rab gaiters with a draw string at the top to keep them up though, to be honest I have never had a set that let me down and I have worn out 4 pairs since I retired.  I would not dream of going out without them at this time of year.  Perhaps you can get away without them on the "manicured" paths of the Lakes but try the snow, fells and bogs of the N Pennines or N Dales at this time of year.
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:13:47, 25/01/15 »
... or the mud of the South Downs  >:(
Where there's a will ...

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:27:29, 25/01/15 »
I am doing the Pennine Way commencing on the 4th June. I have never worn gaiters in my life; preferring to walk in shorts wherever I can and put waterproofs over in the wet. Oddly; I have just got out a cheap pair of Hi Gear gaiters I acquired a few years ago and have been seeing how they go on. Gaiters and shorts may be my approach to fashion on the PW if the sun is shining!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:34:44, 25/01/15 »
I am doing the Pennine Way commencing on the 4th June. I have never worn gaiters in my life; preferring to walk in shorts wherever I can and put waterproofs over in the wet. Oddly; I have just got out a cheap pair of Hi Gear gaiters I acquired a few years ago and have been seeing how they go on. Gaiters and shorts may be my approach to fashion on the PW if the sun is shining!

Shorts and no gaiters - ever had trouble with ticks or do you not walk in tick country?
Solvitur Ambulando

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:41:08, 25/01/15 »
Shorts and no gaiters - ever had trouble with ticks or do you not walk in tick country?
Yes that would worry. E walking in the North Pennines.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:52:30, 25/01/15 »
... really disturbing mental image of shorts and gaiters  :-\

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:55:29, 25/01/15 »
... really disturbing mental image of shorts and gaiters  :-\

I was trying not to go there.........................  Just imagine it with hairy legs and knobbly knees (shudder)  ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:57:10, 25/01/15 »
 :o  I thought nobody could see me  ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy