Author Topic: Kinder Scout from Hayfield  (Read 3872 times)

nesty

Kinder Scout from Hayfield
« on: 22:24:19, 08/09/17 »
I am going to Kinder scout in early October. Be staying in Hayfield at the CCC site.
I am doing some research on Kinder Scout.
Never done peak district before, but do walking generally.
I will be armed with a compass and OS map & can orientate quite good.
Doing research for some walks. Is the path fairly marked out from Hayfield to Kinder summit? I see there is a circular walk. Though I assume would have to divert somwhere to the summit?

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Kinder Scout from Hayfield
« Reply #1 on: 11:14:46, 09/09/17 »
Very clear paths Hayfield to Kinder which way are you thinking of going?

nesty

« Reply #2 on: 00:37:23, 10/09/17 »
This route. My campsite is based at 2.  I was thinking of going north east of the kinder reservoir then to william clough, sandy heys, kinder downfall route then on to the kinder summit. If possible?

« Last Edit: 00:42:04, 10/09/17 by nesty »

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:00:11, 10/09/17 »
The walk you've marked on the map is all on clear paths and in OK weather you won't have any navigation problems.
The top of Kinder is a mass of peat hags and bogs, your call if you head off path to find the true summit or not.

I will try to link link to a trip report from when I walked all the paths on your route earlier in the year, though I didn't do them in a sensible order.

TR here http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=34836.0
« Last Edit: 18:05:34, 10/09/17 by Ridge »

nesty

« Reply #4 on: 18:06:19, 10/09/17 »
Where is the official summit on Kinder Scout on that map.
Is it near where the 636 is (say 2 o'clock from number 8 ) ?

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:15:56, 10/09/17 »
It is at 636 but it is not very exciting when you get there.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:06:38, 10/09/17 »
And it's not easy to tell when you've reached it either.. Unless you just happen to spot the cluster of maybe 3 small rocks when you do get there.. Unless I've been landing up at the wrong spot of course!  ;D

nesty

« Reply #7 on: 20:28:04, 10/09/17 »
Ok cheers might not be a miss if don't do it then!

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:33:29, 10/09/17 »
In my opinion, the detour really isn't worth the effort, except for purist bagging reasons of course. O0

nesty

« Reply #9 on: 20:44:14, 10/09/17 »
In my opinion, the detour really isn't worth the effort, except for purist bagging reasons of course. O0

OK thanks. I am looking for some good walks from point 2 on that map. No more 12 miles round trip as well. If people know some!. 

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 08:33:58, 11/09/17 »
OK thanks. I am looking for some good walks from point 2 on that map. No more 12 miles round trip as well. If people know some!. 

I did a circular one from Hayfield earlier this year, which I enjoyed: leave Hayfield west along Sett Valley trail, then head north over Lantern Pike and across Matley Moor before heading east down to A624. Go east from the road up to Harry Hut, carry on over Mill Hill and come back down via William Clough. It was around 10 miles but you could probably shorten it slightly by cutting off some of the loop I did and heading down north-east earlier from Lantern Pike and returning via Burnt Hill and Mill Hill, a variation that's on my to-do list.

You could also follow the Pennine Bridleway south from your point 2 in Hayfield, down to Peep-o-Day Farm and then up to Cracken Edge from there; loop around Chinley Churn and back north to Hayfield via New Allotments. That's just under 7 miles and the walk up to and along Cracken Edge provides great views over to Kinder, the Downfall, and the Blackbrook Valley. (Cracken Edge is one of my favourite local spots for a short evening walk, from Chinley, because the views are so good.)

I agree with Ridge and Hillhiker about the Kinder "summit" by the way, nothing to see and time could be better spent exploring elsewhere.

nesty

« Reply #11 on: 20:32:36, 11/09/17 »

I did a circular one from Hayfield earlier this year, which I enjoyed: leave Hayfield west along Sett Valley trail, then head north over Lantern Pike and across Matley Moor before heading east down to A624. Go east from the road up to Harry Hut, carry on over Mill Hill and come back down via William Clough. It was around 10 miles but you could probably shorten it slightly by cutting off some of the loop I did and heading down north-east earlier from Lantern Pike and returning via Burnt Hill and Mill Hill, a variation that's on my to-do list.

You could also follow the Pennine Bridleway south from your point 2 in Hayfield, down to Peep-o-Day Farm and then up to Cracken Edge from there; loop around Chinley Churn and back north to Hayfield via New Allotments. That's just under 7 miles and the walk up to and along Cracken Edge provides great views over to Kinder, the Downfall, and the Blackbrook Valley. (Cracken Edge is one of my favourite local spots for a short evening walk, from Chinley, because the views are so good.)

I agree with Ridge and Hillhiker about the Kinder "summit" by the way, nothing to see and time could be better spent exploring elsewhere.

Ok many thanks for this. Looking forward to it!

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:17:31, 12/09/17 »
Ok many thanks for this. Looking forward to it!

No worries, there are quite a few footpaths around there to pick an exact route that suits you. Enjoy your trip!  O0

nesty

« Reply #13 on: 23:03:38, 29/09/17 »
Cheers many thanks.
One strange question I know on a walking forum! Though, does anyone know of bus routes from Hayfield to Crowden and Edale?
I want to explore a bit further afield from hayfield, but rather than keep unpacking the campervan for driving etc. I might take a bus to one of these locations and then walk back to Hayfield (doing the 1 leg trip as such)! 

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 23:24:46, 29/09/17 »
I don't think Edale is served by any buses (though I may be wrong). Certainly not from the Hayfield side - High Peak Buses serve this area.

You can walk the Sett Valley Trail to New Mills and catch a train to Edale. It adds a couple of miles but it's easy walking.

I haven't yet used it but I think High Peak Buses have a route that connects Hayfield and Glossop, which you could use to do a walk back over the moors to your starting point, perhaps the Doctor's Gate Path to Pennine Way south, and then down to Hayfield via Mill Hill.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy