Author Topic: sleeping bag wet at foot area problem  (Read 1254 times)

humansnail

sleeping bag wet at foot area problem
« on: 18:15:17, 23/02/19 »

A few times when camping I've woken up to find the foot area of my sleeping bag wet. I'm guessing this is due to me sliding down the tent and the bottom of my bag pushing the inner and outer together. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and has any advice on how to stop this happening or tips/tricks to get around it. I'm guessing that if this happens regularly my down bag will suffer.

Thanks again,
HS

Ralph

Re: sleeping bag wet at foot area problem
« Reply #1 on: 18:44:54, 23/02/19 »
Using the down bag inside a lightweight bivi bag works for me.

humansnail

« Reply #2 on: 19:28:19, 23/02/19 »

Thanks, I don't own a bivvy, but was thinking of looking into getting one for nice summer nights ( all 3 of them ;D ).

Do you use a "proper" bivvy - alpkit hunka type thing or one of those emergency bivvy bags? I'm guessing the emergency ones would just make you sweat?

Ralph

« Reply #3 on: 19:42:13, 23/02/19 »
I have the Alpkit Hunka XL into which I can fit a 72in long x 2.5in deep mat & 3 season down bag with comfort.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:10:20, 23/02/19 »
Tip 1, try and find a more level pitch! (Yes, I know it can be difficult.)

Tip 2, go to Wilko or a hardware store and buy a roll of antislip matting.
It's like a sort of black rubbery-feeling mesh, the one I used until recently is 100cm x 30 cm (40 in x 12 in) and weighs 96g (3.4 oz). Rolled up it takes no space in your pack. I used to put it under my self-inflating ground mat and it was very effective at stopping it sliding around the tent.

Tip 3: Not really recommended. Last year I bought a can of spray-on antislip designed to be applied to the underside of rugs etc. I thought it would put a rubbery surface under my groundmat, but it has remained sticky, and while it does the job really well of stopping the groundmat moving, it has resulted in little bits of dead grass and heather stuck over it, also when I fold the mat down the centre to roll it up the two halves stick to each other.

humansnail

« Reply #5 on: 20:44:29, 23/02/19 »

Thanks Ralph and Fernman.
Ralph:
The alpkit hunka xl was what I was thinking of getting nearer to summer so when I get it, that should be problem solved. When sleeping in a bivvy, does it add a noticeable amount of warmth? Just wondering if I could get away with a lighter bag to cancel out some of the bivvy weight!
Fernman:
I'll make a trip to wilko this week O0

Ralph

« Reply #6 on: 21:06:10, 23/02/19 »
In the warmer months a lightweight synthetic sleeping bag is fine in the bivi. Just weighed the Hunka, it's 460g, so not too bad anyway.

zuludog

« Reply #7 on: 21:50:03, 23/02/19 »
Spray the outside of your sleeping bag with a solvent based aerosol spray like Fabsil
It will not make the bag absolutely waterproof ( and nor do you want that) but it will make it more water repellent

Pull something like a zipped up fleece jacket; microfleece top; or windshirt over the foot of your s/bag

Pitch the foot end of your tent tauter, so you don't push the s/bag, the inner, and the outer all together 

Pitboot

« Reply #8 on: 22:28:58, 23/02/19 »
Thanks Ralph and Fernman.
Ralph:
The alpkit hunka xl was what I was thinking of getting nearer to summer so when I get it, that should be problem solved. When sleeping in a bivvy, does it add a noticeable amount of warmth? Just wondering if I could get away with a lighter bag to cancel out some of the bivvy weight!
Fernman:
I'll make a trip to wilko this week O0

I found in the forces that the use of a bivvy bag gives you extra warmth, you are trapping an extra layer of air. On many occasions I slept in a bivvy bag in my clothes and was easily warm enough.
I take a Hunka XL with me on winter trips now just in case, but I haven't used it yet as my sleeping bag seems to handle our temperatures with ease.
Your plan to get a lighter sleeping bag and use the bivvy bag when needed is a sound one.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 07:24:20, 24/02/19 »
I get this. If it's just one night I don't worry and I just air the sleeping bag well when j get home.

But if I'm doing more than one night I stick a bin bag over the foot.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:31:34, 24/02/19 »
I have an Alpkit Bivi, what it needs is a zip down one side! Getting in and out of it is a pain! I have a Stratosphere, much better design, but heavier!

humansnail

« Reply #11 on: 19:44:28, 24/02/19 »

Thank you, nice to know it's not just me! I also don't mind too much if it's a one nighter as my feet haven't got wet in the bag yet but the outside has been wet a few times and that's a real pain when out for a few nights.

Thanks for all of the great ideas! O0 I'll be spraying my bag, checking the end is pitched tautly, getting some of that anti slip material and taking an extra bin bag on my next camping trip! If that doesn't sort it, I'll go down the bivvy route.

Litehiker

« Reply #12 on: 02:34:13, 25/02/19 »
My solution to prevent this problem, especially in winter when the bag's foot can melt frost off the walls, is to zip up my GTX parka, cinch down the hood and slide it over the end of my sleeping bag. Problem solved and foot of the bag is a bit warmer.

Eric B.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 09:17:54, 25/02/19 »
My solution to prevent this problem, especially in winter when the bag's foot can melt frost off the walls, is to zip up my GTX parka, cinch down the hood and slide it over the end of my sleeping bag. Problem solved and foot of the bag is a bit warmer.

Eric B.

The simple ideas are the best!  :) 

A gore tex waterproof jacket would do the job just fine too.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy