Author Topic: Advice on winter hiking gear  (Read 4037 times)

Maggot

Re: Advice on winter hiking gear
« Reply #45 on: 08:45:19, 26/10/19 »
I'm still waiting to hear why we shouldn't buy gaiters from a charity shop but everything else is fair game  :(

... and to see the fantastic video he's working on ...

::)

Clearly the subtlety of the English language is lost on you.  I wasn't saying you should avoid gaiters from charity shops, I was saying avoid gaiters.  I'll try and use fewer letters in the future if that will help you  O0

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 10:11:51, 26/10/19 »
Rather than being sarcastic, perhaps you should consider reading and understanding the reasons why many chose to wear gaiters, particularly in wet/snowy conditions.

Pitboot

« Reply #47 on: 11:05:44, 26/10/19 »
The OP, Barmy Army, seems to have tired of this thread.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 12:03:24, 26/10/19 »

... I wasn't saying you should avoid gaiters from charity shops, ....

Are you sure? ...

Just avoid gaiters, even cheap ones from a charity shop   O0

Pretty much word for word, that's exactly what you did say.  So I will ask again.

Why?

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 14:51:24, 26/10/19 »

Are you sure? ...

Pretty much word for word, that's exactly what you did say.  So I will ask again.

Why?
Reads like gaiters in general to me Mel. ;)

Me I wear gaiters a lot.  Absosutely essential clothing for winter moorland walking.  They keep your feet dry fording streams too.  O0

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 15:28:57, 26/10/19 »
But I have no grasp of the subtleties of the English language...

Barmy_Army

« Reply #51 on: 17:03:44, 26/10/19 »
The OP, Barmy Army, seems to have tired of this thread.

I've just checked for the first time since earlier in the week  ;D  Turning into Gaitergate the last couple of pages. Thankyou for all the wonderful advice, some baselayers and gloves were purchased yesterday and going to stick with the current midlayers  O0

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 17:25:20, 26/10/19 »
Gaiters? ;D

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 18:15:42, 26/10/19 »
I'm pleased your still with us Barmy_Army  :) Please be assured that most of us on here have grasped the subtleties of being polite and one post on this thread is totally out of order.

This one:

I'll try and use fewer letters in the future if that will help you  O0

I wondered how long it would take for you to start flaming since you came back on the forum. Not very long then.

Hate will never win

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 09:07:26, 27/10/19 »
In the meantime, I've been having lots of fun improving the 'keeping dry' qualites of my £15 long waterproof coat. When purchased the flap over the long front zip was secured by 3 x 1.5" strips of Velcro. This soon wore out and lost all of its grip. I took the Velcro strips off and replaced them with sew-on magnets (which worked well) but then, upon reading the warning leaflet that came with them about possible damage to mobile phones I decided to try large press studs instead.

I dropped into a local haberdashery shop and the lady there found me some large ones. I then spent yesterday afternoon (it was raining hard) sewing them on. They work well too. My wife came back from visiting her mother and was AMAZED that I had actually used a needle and thread! I did tell her I looked up how to do it first on YouTube. So as a reward she gave me a large triangle of coffee and walnut cake.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 09:41:38, 27/10/19 »
I looked up how to do it first on YouTube.

;D ;D Just like me when my OH went away, telling me there were two eggs left in the fridge for me to boil.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #56 on: 10:53:17, 27/10/19 »
Me I wear gaiters a lot.  Absosutely essential clothing for winter moorland walking.  They keep your feet dry fording streams too.  O0

O0
Where there's a will ...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: 10:59:27, 27/10/19 »

I've just checked for the first time since earlier in the week  ;D  Turning into Gaitergate the last couple of pages. Thankyou for all the wonderful advice, some baselayers and gloves were purchased yesterday and going to stick with the current midlayers  O0

Glad that you are still with us, Barmy Army. Let us know how you get on. :)

PS - I bought myself a new base layer top in a Mountain Warehouse sale for £5.99.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy