Author Topic: Daily 20 minute walk outdoors boosts wellbeing  (Read 9180 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Daily 20 minute walk outdoors boosts wellbeing
« Reply #45 on: 17:42:45, 24/04/19 »

I lived and worked in Snowdonia for 17 years or so, and never encountered any real hostility. I suspect that a few people didn't want to know me because I was 'Sais', but they were very much in the minority, and most people were very friendly.

My wife and I once blundered into the pub in Tanygrisiau after a walk over the Moelwyns, rushing to catch last orders (yes, the pubs shut in the afternoon in those days). We were the only people speaking English in the place, but once we had broken the ice, the locals couldn't have been friendlier - we got 'locked in' and shared a taxi to an 'after party' in Dolwyddelan!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 17:44:46, 24/04/19 »
Last year sat in a cafe in Betws Y Coed with a friend we as normal talked to each other in Welsh, we became aware of an elderly couple next to us, looking rather annoyed and on leaving turned to us and proceeded to shout 'you polish lot should go home if you cannot speak English'...cafe owner apologised but I was not offended I found it hilarious.

Made me smile, but sadly an encounter like this is a sign of the times.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 11:15:33, 25/04/19 »
Yes a bit long winded but I do understand, it’s a countrywide issue. The farmer who had a go at us clearly disliked not just walkers, but anyone who came near her land uninvited, it didn’t help that the prow on her land ended at a river with no crossing to gain access to the road.
;) , I could have been a bit more long winded and gone into the underlying cause. It is rather good fun sifting out the elements of such dissension. This New years eve I got into such a discussion with a farmers widow, their farm had been sold up but she was adamant that walkers were a threat to a way of life that was their due to the value of their land.
Is this the new take on celebrity/elitism where wealth pushes people up the social scale? Over my lifetime the value of agricultural land has risen from under £50 per acre to over £10,000.

It is more an English trait to take 'Being Posh' seriously and in some peoples psyche owning land is the ultimate of being 'posh'. With targeted marketing, the CLA will enrol members with so few acres, just for the reward of being able to display their monthly Magazine Land and Business as essential coffee table adornment.
Probably the cause of many an experience trying to push ones way through the blockages thrown up around some scrubby little 'My Pony' setup, where the waymarks have been conveniently covered over or completely eradicated.

I had a delightful chance encounter with a Welsh farmer (owner/occupier), over whose land we had happily trespassed some years ago in the Cain Hotel, Llanfyllin, an area, I feel, should compete with the top walking destinations. His passing remarks to us, were,  "Hope you enjoyed it!". Wrote it up here some years ago.
I think the Welsh areas more more confined by geography, the Glynceriog Valley being notable and probably established by the McAlpine Shooting interest of 50 or so years ago, but there, still endemic.

« Last Edit: 11:23:25, 25/04/19 by barewirewalker »
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 13:31:30, 25/04/19 »
;) , I could have been a bit more long winded and gone into the underlying cause. It is rather good fun sifting out the elements of such dissension.

No no it’s fine honestly  ;D  I do enjoy a good debate I have to say, but when out walking all I want is peace and quiet, having said that, on that one occasion when “accosted” I was only too happy to oblige the lady and politely but determinedly argue my point.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Mark101

« Reply #49 on: 12:15:07, 02/12/19 »
 "A daily 20-minute stroll in the great outdoors has been found to dramatically lower stress levels and boost wellbeing."
It's been a life saver for me, over the years. I've suffered depression and anxiety from work and life events but being outdoors, in nature has always helped. The oft dreaded evening dog walk at the end of a hectic day always seemed so beneficial in lifting my mood, in retrospect.
A day fishing alone on a remote beach is nothing short miraculous for my spirit.
Walking for relaxation

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy