Author Topic: Baggage Transfer - Positives and Negatives  (Read 7964 times)

Deolman

Baggage Transfer - Positives and Negatives
« on: 18:18:31, 27/09/19 »
I have used a baggage transfer service each time I walk a LDW. Walking Hadrians Wall for the second time recently  I experienced my first problem when the hotel staff were not available to hand over my suitcase to the Baggage Handling courier. It got me to thinking how many others have had problems with using these services and wouldn’t it be useful to have others opinions of either the B&B’s they have stayed at and/or the baggage companies they have used.

In my case the Kenilworth Hotel, West Jesmond, Newcastle - negative. Once a member of staff had been found was totally indifferent with respect to where my suitcase was and the driver initially went away empty handed. Would definitely  not stay there again.

Hadrians Wall Baggage Transfer Service, Corbridge. Positive - went well beyond what they needed to do in order to retrieve my bag from the Hotel and Mark couldn’t have been more helpful

harland

• Veteran Member
Re: Baggage Transfer - Positives and Negatives
« Reply #1 on: 18:44:26, 27/09/19 »
With one exception I always carry everything myself.  The exception being when I walked the Camino Frances this year I used Camino Ways to transfer some of my "stuff" daily.  They were excellent, as were all the accommodation providers, with nothing going wrong although I am sure that with the number of pilgrims who walk this path the system is very well established.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:38:11, 27/09/19 »
When I do a LDW I carry all my kit, I'm not going to a fashion show so don't need anything that won't fit in 45L  O0
Where there's a will ...

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 07:15:15, 28/09/19 »
I usually carry my stuff and just don't take much. However, when I did the Robert Louis Stevenson trail everything including baggage transfer was booked through Sherpa. It all worked very smoothly, and I have to say I thought the baggage transfer idea was brilliant.
I went back to packing light and carrying everything for the next ldp, but I can see there will come a time

Deolman

« Reply #4 on: 07:20:22, 28/09/19 »
I have found Sherpa to be a tad more expensive than others and on some trails they charge for a minimum of two bags even for solo walkers.

ron6632

« Reply #5 on: 07:35:48, 28/09/19 »
Used baggage transfer on the Cleveland Way last year with a mix of hostels, hotels and campsites.  Everything ran like clockwork, although we did contact all our accommodation well in advance to let them know that the bags would be arriving. 

Can’t remember which company we used though, although I think the transfers were all done by cab rather than their own van. 

Generally book all our own accommodation then the transfer on the side (if at all).  Used several different companies (throughout the uk) over the years and never had any problems. 

Deolman

« Reply #6 on: 07:45:22, 28/09/19 »
I also plan my walks well in advance booking my own accommodation. This can not only save you several hundred pounds but accommodation can generally be booked on, or near, the trail. I always check prior to booking that the accomodation providers are OK with baggage transfers then just prior to my walk will advise them which Company I will be using.
« Last Edit: 09:18:49, 28/09/19 by Deolman »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:47:16, 28/09/19 »
I went back to packing light and carrying everything for the next ldp, but I can see there will come a time

Yes, if that time comes I'd rather use a baggage transfer service than stop walking LDPs  O0
Where there's a will ...

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 14:38:20, 28/09/19 »
Following this topic with interest for when I've saved up enough money to do the West Highland Way - so looking out for possible pitfalls to bear in mind with using such companies.  I'll be paying someone else to sort out all my accommodation and baggage transfer so I can just enjoy the walk and look forward to lots of creature comforts at the end of each day. 

Deolman

« Reply #9 on: 15:15:37, 28/09/19 »
[size=0px](Following this topic with interest for when I've saved up enough money to do the West Highland Way - so looking out for possible pitfalls to bear in mind with using such companies.  I'll be paying someone else to sort out all my accommodation and baggage transfer so I can just enjoy the walk and look forward to lots of creature comforts at the end of each day. )  

Hi Mel

When I walked the WHW in 2017 I used AMS Scotland (  www.amsscotland.co.uk  ) and had no problems with them.  Regarding 'creature comforts, one site I stayed at on the WHW was a mixture of Glamping, B&B Chalets, and campers.  The rain was coming down like stair rods and I have to confess I felt a little smug in my warm chalet with all my kit drying nicely near  the radiator and a hot drink in my hand watching all the campers doing their best to get their tents up and get their kit dry. Shame!  
« Last Edit: 15:27:13, 28/09/19 by Deolman »

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:05:01, 28/09/19 »
Haha.  I think I'd feel sorry for them....from the comfort of my nice, warm room.... in my nice, dry clothes  :D

But in all seriousness, that's exactly why I'm looking at luggage transfer and stay in B&Bs - so I at least know if the weather is grim on the walk I've got somewhere warm and dry to go and some warm and dry clothes to change into at the end of the day. Oh, and escape the midges  ;D   

... Actually, escaping the midges is probably the most important bit  :-\

Sorry, thread hijack.  Back to the pros and cons of baggage transfer ....  O0

Deolman

« Reply #11 on: 20:07:56, 28/09/19 »
I was also concerned about midges and took various repellants and even bought a face net but the little blighters didn’t turn up!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:26:07, 28/09/19 »
What month did you do it?

Deolman

« Reply #13 on: 20:27:30, 28/09/19 »
Beginning of July

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:37:53, 28/09/19 »
Oh, that's interesting.  I'd have assumed it would be a midge-fest then too.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy