Author Topic: The do's and dont's of hiking as a group?  (Read 6642 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: The do's and dont's of hiking as a group?
« Reply #15 on: 09:51:05, 25/11/17 »
I tried to write it for amusement. The Pebbell can be useful as a safety tool if an older person has dementia and is a wanderer out into the streets. Once outside of a programmed geographical area it can set off a Carers alarm. My wife is amused by the whole idea of keeping me contained. ;D

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 11:11:50, 28/11/17 »
For many years I belonged to a large social organisation of walkers. It was REALLY fun and I miss its demise.
I was a walk leader and guide.
Today I walk alone mainly because I'm a billy no mates, couple with decisions on walking are made very last minute.

There are many issues around walking in groups especially when it is not a regular group.

One really important thing I can try to impart to you all. Waiting for those less able to catch up.
If you need to do this at all you have already failed.
They should be ahead of you and you should never catch THEM up.
The mental state of anyone who is slower becomes very poor. Not only are they battling their own physical distress but it is being made worse by knowing they are slowing you down. It is AWFUL.
The reverse is that by you being a ways behind encourages them, you lift one of the burdens which helps a lot.

I have been on group walks where a killing pace was being maintained by the obvious 'macho' men, I slowed down on an ascent and was abandoned. The leader RAN back to say I was slowing them down and 'this is an A group walk, we have a reputation to maintain'..
I was then 'left'. I later saw the group on the wrong path some way off. I was back at the car park after doing the full route waiting for them for over an hour.

Talking.. there are those who cannot shut up. I've led walks and brought people to fantastic view points. The 'talkers' arrive and stand facing each other utterly oblivious to the view. Takes all sorts :)

Also it is worth understanding that a 'walking' group are meant to walk not climb. Little scrambles are often inevitable, but choosing routes that are all about exposure and scrambling are not walks and should be announced as such. I know its a thrill, so is mountain biking and paragliding but they are not 'walking'. If you are leading a walking group and need to reach for crampons and ice axes, you really are in the wrong place.

Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 13:19:34, 28/11/17 »
Speaking of slowness, you should try leading a botanical group. Every single species of flowering plant, grass and tree is ticked off, while interminable discussions take place over the precise determination of difficult ones down to subspecies level. Sometimes it can take half an hour just to get out of the car park, and a further hour to cover the next hundred yards!

Chris954

« Reply #18 on: 17:07:05, 28/11/17 »
As you usually walk alone, you will know to close a gate behind you. What if a gate was open when you came to it, how would 'tail end Charlie' know if the gate was opened or closed when the leader went through it. So who appoints a back marker, does there have to be a leader?

When I used to go out on my bike in a group we used to adopt the second man system, the second man in the group would wait at junctions/roundabouts for the last one to catch up so nobody got lost then he would take his place at the back of the group till the next junction then the second man would wait again. This system could be adopted for gates when out walking as the second man will  know whether the gate was open or closed.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 18:22:59, 28/11/17 »
Well said Peter  O0

Aside from the things Peter mentioned, my pet peeve about group walks is that, if you are in group and the faster ones stop and wait, as soon as you've caught up, they're off again (they've had a nice breather whilst they wait).  No breather for the slowcoaches then.

By the sounds of it, I need to take up Botany fernman  :D

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 19:30:53, 28/11/17 »

Walking with botanists is great.  When the going gets tough and you want a wee rest there is always a sedge to look at however far up the hill you are.  Though, as Fernman says it can take a while to get out of the carpark.
And yes, Mel, you are quite right about the slower ones not getting a rest.  Occasionally, in desperation, seeing the leaders stopping to wait, I simply to stop where I am, and get a rest at the same time if not in the same place!  I have noticed that this annoys them a bit though....

themeone

« Reply #21 on: 07:53:42, 23/12/17 »
I often lead walks of about 10-15 people.  I like the idea of having the slow walkers at the front, and shall have a think about that.

I usually do the walk solo a couple of times beforehand, so I know the route, and in some ways enjoy the solo walking just as much, if not more.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 23:03:37, 23/12/17 »
Still don't know how to delete a double post.  :-[
« Last Edit: 23:09:50, 23/12/17 by BuzyG »

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 23:08:09, 23/12/17 »
Some differing opinions and advice in this thread, which is a good thing on occasion.

I'm not sure I agree with some of Peter's points.  Though I think that is down to context.   I walk regularly with a very active ramblers group, several of whom are also LDWA members and ex fell runners.  When I joined the group I could barely keep pace with them, despite being one of the youngest members and a fit surfer.  I would say all of the group are fit active competitive people.  The eldest in their mid 70s.  I'm in my mid 50s.   We push the pace hard every time we are out, we sometimes get stretched out over 100s of yards.  The group works well operating that way.  It's seldom the same person first to the top of each Tor and there is plenty of conversation. 

We always have an experienced back marker and the quicker members are very happy to drop back and chat at the back.  But once the ground steepens uphill it's usually a friendly race to the top.

One thing this does appear to do is filter the sort of members that join the group, after trying a few walks out.  I tried a few other local ramblers groups before choosing one and I enjoy the way our group operates.  Just hope I can stay with them tomorrow.  ;)

PS I see I just became a veteran.  :)
« Last Edit: 23:12:59, 23/12/17 by BuzyG »

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 02:02:34, 24/12/17 »
It was that double post that did it  ;)    :D

Lemmy

« Reply #25 on: 13:17:12, 24/12/17 »
The best precaution when hiking in a group is to hike alone.

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 15:51:19, 24/12/17 »

One thing this does appear to do is filter the sort of members that join the group, after trying a few walks out.  I tried a few other local ramblers groups before choosing one and I enjoy the way our group operates.  Just hope I can stay with them tomorrow.  ;)

PS I see I just became a veteran.  :)

Ok, you and your friends want others of a  similar ability. No problem with that, anymore than with a group that wants to go rock climbing or something else. But be fair and state you want an exclusive group.
It may well be a 'friendly' race, but it is still a race.
My suggestions are for inclusive groups, where the fun is simply walking and completing the walk is the only objective.

I enjoy walking in groups because I enjoy sharing. These days I tend not to do so for fear of slowing people down.

Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 21:16:31, 24/12/17 »

Ok, you and your friends want others of a  similar ability. No problem with that, anymore than with a group that wants to go rock climbing or something else. But be fair and state you want an exclusive group.
It may well be a 'friendly' race, but it is still a race.
My suggestions are for inclusive groups, where the fun is simply walking and completing the walk is the only objective.

I enjoy walking in groups because I enjoy sharing. These days I tend not to do so for fear of slowing people down.

So I went out with the group today.  Turns out my injury started playing up about 6 miles in.  As a result I simply informed the walk leader and headed back to the car.  No big deal.  though in was thick fog and  my mobile refused to play ball until about a mile from the car. So I was glad I had a map and compass with me, after we split.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 10:23:51, 26/12/17 »
Just had a read through this thread, and my view of making group walking enjoyable compared to solo walking is all in your mindset.

I’ve learned group walking is all about flexibility. The bigger the group the more flexible you need to be.
Being prepared to turn back and abandon a walk when you feel fit and fine but a group member or members are struggling for whatever reason.

Being prepared to change a route and miss out that beautiful spot you were so looking forward to getting to see, due to pace, or an inability by another walkers. But rather than be disappointed, be content to do so for the safety of the group as a whole.

This is where trust and friendships form, walk together, finish together.
In regular groups you learn what the general abilities are and what is likely to be achieved, and choose a route according to those abilities.

Solo walking is complete freedom, governed only by your own limitations  :)

Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 15:00:29, 26/12/17 »
Another thing to think about is why are people there, I've never walked with a 'walking group' and I guess even they vary tremendously.

Today we went for a walk with a group of friends and the reason was to meat up and get a bit of fresh air. It didn't matter how far we went or how long it took so long as we ended up at a cafe for a coffee. There were probably 25 of us ranging in age from 8 to late 80s, some were way over dressed for the proposed walk (yes, of course me) others had wellies on. If I had been on my own then I would have gone twice as fast and 4 times as far but that isn't what today was about. It was lovely strolling along and chatting to people most of whom we hadn't seen since, well yesterday actually.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy