Author Topic: [Trip Report] Rushup to not quite Lose Hill  (Read 2045 times)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
[Trip Report] Rushup to not quite Lose Hill
« on: 17:59:41, 13/08/09 »
Not quite Lose Hill? Yes one little soldier couldn't go all the way....

Date of Walk - 8th August 2009
Conditions - Sunny, sunny with a side helping of Scorchio!
Distance - 7.8 miles over good clear paths
Sunburn factor - Minor. Silly rave style hat saw to that. Need something with a wider brim for full coverage.
Dog factor - Present.
Max Factor - not until the evening dahling  ;)

This is the third time on this ridge within the forum for me, so I won't go into much detail as a brief search should find mine and others reports. For example Radders who did the whole circuit, cos he can, the same day I did this walk.

Simply because I can't think of anything better to do, the OS Map, courtesy of Crown Copyright.

If theres one thing to be said for the Chapel Path its that you see Kinder and the valley from a different angle. Chapel is meandering and contantly uphill, but like us you can cut part of it by taking the road. I hadn't been out for ages so thats my excuse out of the way nice and early.

Anyway, as I say you do get a different slant on things.

The weather and visibility was excellent today. As the day wore on the air seemed to get clearer so you felt you could reach out and touch objects miles away.

Even if we didn't appreciate the rain it's obvious the local plantlife did. This was one of many beside the path. Nice though they are, these attract Bees. I don't like Bees so this walk may have 7.8 miles but I did at least double that running away from Bees and Wasps.

Still eventually we get to the top and ignoring the sign head off towards Rushup Edge. Which would normally be replete with hang gliders but was deserted today.

To give you some idea of the clarity of the sky, heres a shot where you can just about make out Win Hill.

Despite having been here many times before I've never given Winnats Pass much thought. Here though it looks marvellous. Almost like someone has pulled the plug and the landscape is sinking into the Pass.

Now we were nearing the end of our walk. The views towards Hollins Cross were exceptionally clear.

Beyond that you can see the valley, Back Tor and Lose hill in all their glory.

As you can see from the GPS track, we didn't make it all the way. One short, hairy legged fellah couldn't take it. Despite drinking gallons of water, the lack of shade did for him. Eventually he asked if we could go home.

With only 2 miles to go as well. So we head down, through some disconcerting but passive cows.

Obviously we carried the dog through as letting him walk on the ground would probably have resulted in Dog and Walker pâté (the cows were biiiig). Still we got to the end of the footpath in one piece. Not our usual route down but a nice one, cows aside.

Pausing only to rest our weary paws in the water, we headed back to the car and home.

Even though we didn't get exactly where we wanted to it doesn't really matter. It was a good walk in hot conditions. This weekend looks a little cooler...

© Dazza 2009
« Last Edit: 23:16:36, 02/10/09 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

genji

• Account Closed
Re: [Trip Report] Rushup to not quite Lose Hill
« Reply #1 on: 18:06:54, 13/08/09 »
Your reports are ace, Dazza. I like the description of Winnats Pass and I also like seeing pictures of places we recognise. I thought that view of Winnats Pass was a good one. I don't think the brakes on my car enjoyed getting down it but the excitement of the drive to Castleton and our walk up Mam Tor to Cave Dale will forever define the Peak District to me and your photos capture a lot of that sentiment.
"pain is your bodies way of telling you that it is hurting"

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:21:03, 13/08/09 »
Thanks Genjii.

It's a cracking part of the world. I like Winnats Pass, though I haven't actually walked through it for years. it's a crying shame there isn't a footpath on the top - that would make for an excellent walk - Castleton, Cave Dale, Top of Winnat pass, Mam Tor, Hollins Cross, down on the old ruined road back to Castleton.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:31:51, 13/08/09 »
Thanks Genjii.

It's a cracking part of the world. I like Winnats Pass, though I haven't actually walked through it for years. it's a crying shame there isn't a footpath on the top - that would make for an excellent walk - Castleton, Cave Dale, Top of Winnat pass, Mam Tor, Hollins Cross, down on the old ruined road back to Castleton.

Yomper

• Account Closed
« Reply #4 on: 19:17:09, 13/08/09 »
Nice report & photo's - thanks for sharing  :)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:02:55, 13/08/09 »
Theguyuk,

Thats the area but there isn't actually a Right of Way across the top of Winnats I'm aware of. You can walk through it 'til you're blue in the face but not around the top edge as far as I know.

I was thinking something along the lines of.

Ofcourse it's possible the farmer doesn't mind people walking through his fields.
Dazza
--------

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:19:48, 13/08/09 »
Theguyuk,

Thats the area but there isn't actually a Right of Way across the top of Winnats I'm aware of. You can walk through it 'til you're blue in the face but not around the top edge as far as I know.

I was thinking something along the lines of.

Ofcourse it's possible the farmer doesn't mind people walking through his fields.

If you stand outside Speedwell Cavern and face up winnats pass then travel up, on the right hand side just past the carpark some people see to have created their own path upwards. You do not see it till you are past the carpark. 
If you are a passenger in a car travelling up Winnats it is easier to see.

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:54:20, 13/08/09 »
Ahh all is now clear.

I think we may have to wander up there.

Thanks for that! O0
Dazza
--------

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:21:18, 13/08/09 »
Great report, but you shouldn't be scared of bees, they won't get you, its those pesky wasps that'll do the damage. At the moment we need bees more than ever, so the more you see the better.
here ends today's nature report  8)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:37:08, 13/08/09 »
I'm not afraid of Bees as such, I just don't want to get stung.

So to prevent any problems I pay them a respectful distance.

I like Bees as generally they're not aggressive and would rather fly off. There are loads of Bee friendly plants in the front garden and they seem to appreciate it considering how many there are flying about. Bees tend to be passive, but wasps aren't.

Wierd really. I'm almost 6ft and scared of something barely an inch in size.

Dazza
--------

Walking Mummy

« Reply #10 on: 23:08:39, 17/08/09 »
Excellent report, great pictures and fabulous descriptions.
The Peak District is so beautiful and accessible, I am lucky to live only 40 mins or so from it.
Also, your dog is such a cutie  :-*

www.thats-perfect.co.uk - the perfect advertising solutions for you!

StephB

« Reply #11 on: 11:25:37, 19/08/09 »
Fab report and the pic and description of Winnats Pass is great O0

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 22:13:09, 19/08/09 »
Thanks, I just saw the various pics I had of Winnats and thought it looks like the landscape is draining away.

The dog? Well he's actually my walking mates brothers. They don't walk like we do so we take him out from time to time. He's a sweet little guy when he's not tripping you up ofcourse. He'll be after an agent soon  ;)

Even though he didn't manage this walk he did do 9.5 miles last Sat. Walking report coming soon(ish).
Dazza
--------

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy