Author Topic: [Trip Report] Roaches and Luds Church  (Read 3963 times)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
[Trip Report] Roaches and Luds Church
« on: 22:50:16, 02/10/09 »
Ok this isn't Derbyshire but it's next door to the White Peak. I was born in Yorkshire, brought up in Derbyshire, now live in Nottinghamshire so who am I to complain?

Date of Walk - 16th September 2009
Conditions - A little bit cloudy but mainly good weather.
Distance - 7.4 miles, over good paths.
Dog factor - Not present any more.
Doctor Who Factor - So when is the next one on?

So as the proms have gone and they didn't play any sea shanties I feel honour bound to give you my traditional, and courtesy of Crown Copyright (ma'am), the OS Map.

This walk has often been described as minimum effort for maximum views. I'd have to agree, this is just the view from the car parking area. We used this walk a part of our walm up for the Lake District.

Essentially the roaches have a bit of climb early on with an interesting seat and a decent view of the way ahead.

We didn't go up the optional distant hill but continued on up the Roaches via the middle path. This was pretty impressive and busy with experienced and novice climbers.

After climbing a set of stone stairs we were on top. A pretty flat but rewarding walk from here on in. Most of the time you have good views all around.

Soon you come to Doxey Pool. A tarn of sorts and a nice place for a rest.

Still onwards we went approaching the Trig Point. Where a remote control glider pilot was present. He was excellent and we spent many minutes watching his acrobatics.

We wanted to visit Luds Church so onward and downwards. We'd be back this way later. Still some interesting formations.

Eventually we came off the Roaches and went ani-clockwise on our walking route. We were going to visit the Hanging Stone but decided against it this time.

Ahh now to Luds Church. A chasm and we'd heard so many things about it so were keen to crack on.

First appearances weren't impressive and slightly worrying. How would we get down?

After following the cravasse (well sort of) we found a way down. A couple were lost in there and we guided them out. Luds Church is a truly surprising feature and well worth the visit.

After leaving the church we settle down for a bite to eat. These rocks made a good seat and table.

After lunch we had a gentle walk back to the roaches. This sign obviously helped and has a personality of its own.

The lower path is pretty ferntastic and needs clearing (sorry Howard)  but it gave a few nice views and a bull stuck in a hole apparently.

We don't often walk the same way back as we walked in so it was nice to see things from a different angle. Glider man was still around.

The erosion on the rock was also very pronounced and interesting.

A great walk with some great views to the end.

An excellent walk suitable for everyone.

© Dazza 2009
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Dizzy

• Veteran Member
Re: [Trip Report] Roaches and Luds Church
« Reply #1 on: 23:30:18, 02/10/09 »
Nice pics Dazza O0 I'm always up the Roaches as they are the closest part of the Peak District to me and it's only half an hours drive, it's great for evening walks as the sunset over the Cheshire plain is lovely.For anyone who hasn't been it really is woth it as like Dazza says its minimum climbing for maximum views.Its a great place for anyone with kids too as there are lots of nooks and crannies to explore!

gotmeheadshaved

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 23:35:32, 02/10/09 »
Excellent photos Dazza. Like Dizzy I live close to the Roaches but it's ages since I've been up there. After looking at your pics I must remedy that. Luds Church here I come...  ;)

Steve
Steve (gotmeheadshaved)

'Brothers, what we do in life, echoes in eternity'

Dizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:42:53, 02/10/09 »
Excellent photos Dazza. Like Dizzy I live close to the Roaches but it's ages since I've been up there. After looking at your pics I must remedy that. Luds Church here I come...  ;)

Steve

Yes you must get yourself up there Steve!You might even see one of the ferrel wallabies.The last time I went to Luds Church I was walking alone and as soon as I descended into it I got the Hebe Jebes really badly!I ran all the way through it and couldn't wait to get out at the other end, was very creepy.I felt like I wasn't alone(even though I was).Great place though :)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:53:56, 02/10/09 »
Luds Church is strange as it seems so out place.

Great place to visit though. The roaches as well. Not much effort for a great reward.

In better conditions the views must be spectacular.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Sara

« Reply #5 on: 09:14:36, 03/10/09 »
I really enjoyed reading that trip report. Excellent photo's too.  :)
Sara

PistonPete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:19:06, 03/10/09 »
Great Photos, and it's somewhere I've never been.  Definitely on my list of places to visit now.

PP
Walk

radder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:05:12, 03/10/09 »
Another excellent report and Pictures again Dazza  O0
Must say your pictures taken inside Luds Church came out really well.

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:15:48, 03/10/09 »
Great photo's and report Dazza! O0 The Roaches and Lud's Church route is an out and out classic and personal favourite of mine. :)
Current Munro tally: 78 out of 282 completed so far.

All 190 Welsh Nuttalls completed.

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:41:27, 03/10/09 »
Another excellent report and Pictures again Dazza  O0
Must say your pictures taken inside Luds Church came out really well.

Thanks.

Ofcourse the ones that didn't come out so well have been stamped on, erased and told to sit in the corner.  ;)
Dazza
--------

gatebuilder

« Reply #10 on: 23:18:54, 03/10/09 »
Never been there but after reading your report and seeing your pictures its on octobers to do list

PistonPete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:35:36, 04/10/09 »
Gets better every time I look at it. O0  I had a look on the OS map 1:50000 scale and it is on there, but it's not until you go to 1:25000 that you can see the Lud's Church Chasm properly.  SJ 98752 65595
Walk

Stoke scrambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 15:55:22, 04/10/09 »
Great pics and report. I go up there a lot, even been known to climb there. Did any one see the nesting Peregrine Folcans last year? Sadly one of the Wardens was telling me there's only one wallabee left and that's probably died.

SteveInLeicester

« Reply #13 on: 19:07:59, 04/10/09 »
What a muppet I am. I've been to the Roaches a few times recently, on the spur of the moment with no planned route, and didn't even know about Luds Church! I've always got to the north end of the Roaches and then headed off to the east, doubling back to make a circuit. Duh.  After seeing those pics I'll have to go back again now. In my defence I only used a 1:50,000 map.

PistonPete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:17:09, 04/10/09 »
What a muppet I am. I've been to the Roaches a few times recently, on the spur of the moment with no planned route, and didn't even know about Luds Church! I've always got to the north end of the Roaches and then headed off to the east, doubling back to make a circuit. Duh.  After seeing those pics I'll have to go back again now. In my defence I only used a 1:50,000 map.

I think sometimes we think we have to walk miles and miles or it's not worth it, yet sometimes what we wanted to see is only a few hundred yards long.  Sometimes less is more, that's what I'm telling my girlfriends anyway  ;)
Walk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy