Author Topic: The Winnat's Pass 'Scrambles'  (Read 22715 times)

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
Re: The Winnat's Pass 'Scrambles'
« Reply #15 on: 15:44:07, 17/10/09 »
In fact I spent a lot of time looking for stuff to do in peaks only Winnats and Parkhouse came up, not even Bleaklows scramble you did!

There's a little, but not much, information about Wildboar Clough on this site.
Current Munro tally: 78 out of 282 completed so far.

All 190 Welsh Nuttalls completed.

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 16:22:12, 17/10/09 »
Here is another rated a scramble although having walked up The Nab I didn't know it was a rated scramble.

http://www.trekkingbritain.com/grindslowknollviaringingroger.html

P.s scroll right down the linked page and on the right are links to several other peak district walks and ratings.

joester

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 16:46:09, 17/10/09 »
I suppose the thing to do would be have a drive up and see.
It should be possible to hack up the grass alongside to the route to see for yourself how steep the rock really is.

I think the problem, certainly on the Matterhorn ridge, will be the fact it is so sustained, so any slip will result in a tumble down the whole thing.  There are no ledges, gulleys and blocky bits that break up the scrambles that we are used to, as in Wales, etc.
Roping up would certainly be the order of the day.
I seem to remember reading on one of the Internet sites that the ridge is 'rather airy' - this may well be an understatement!

On the Elbow Ridge however, you can apparently just step off the scramble to the side if things are getting a bit much.
solvitur ambulando

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 18:41:12, 17/10/09 »
Paragliding through Winnats Pass, Derbyshire, UK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6ZXUFFFlAQ

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 19:06:52, 17/10/09 »

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 19:37:41, 17/10/09 »
Always remember to treat heights with respect

Here is a lovely short video then afterwards read the full 5 comments right down to the bottom one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWHWvDIzX6U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgM_r4xdSc8&feature=related
« Last Edit: 19:49:54, 17/10/09 by Theguyuk »

radder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 17:59:02, 19/10/09 »
Cheers Jim, just been reading up on a grade 3 scramble I would like to do, The Wilderness Gully in the Chew Valley till I saw your videos  :o

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 19:41:04, 19/10/09 »
Cheers Jim, just been reading up on a grade 3 scramble I would like to do, The Wilderness Gully in the Chew Valley till I saw your videos  :o

Sure you could enjoy youself on some of the small ones in Winnats pass Mark O0

Stoke scrambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 20:15:46, 19/10/09 »
Hi Mark I don't want to sound stupid or patronising but have you done any climbing with ropes?

radder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 18:12:44, 20/10/09 »
Hi Mark I don't want to sound stupid or patronising but have you done any climbing with ropes?

No I haven't but have done Grade 3 scrambles without ropes before. I will never take on anything Im not sure about or put myself in danger.

Stoke scrambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 20:48:29, 20/10/09 »
No I haven't but have done Grade 3 scrambles without ropes before. I will never take on anything Im not sure about or put myself in danger.
Ok mate sorry if I sounded like an old nag.

radder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 20:20:25, 01/11/09 »
Been out to Castleton this afternoon and had a look at the Winnats Pass scrambles all I can say is "wow" these two routes look awesome and I never knew they was there. The first one Mattterhorn Ridge has a lot of exposure but is doable with a head for heights. The second one Elbow Ridge has even more exposure than the matterhorn but would feel this route would most defiantly need ropes to do this.
Also picked a excellent book up in Hathersage that has Peak District Scrambles in it  O0

TheGUYuk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 21:39:15, 01/11/09 »
Good to hear you enjoyed your trip around Winnats pass Mark.  I enjoyed my small walk around there a few weeks past too.

By the way I see the question of Peak districted scrambles as been asked before on one of the other site forums for walkers.

http://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/Answers/Search-results/Scrambling/Where-can-I-find-good-scrambles-for-beginners-in-the-Peak-District/

Stoke scrambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 21:45:24, 01/11/09 »
Radders: Did you take any pics. If I get a chance this week I'll pop over and have a look

radder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 22:49:09, 01/11/09 »
Radders: Did you take any pics. If I get a chance this week I'll pop over and have a look
Sorry no photo's I was in the car to wet and windy to be walking today so went to pub instead  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy