Author Topic: Hard Walk for Madmax  (Read 2556 times)

Granty

• Veteran Member
Re: Hard Walk for Madmax
« Reply #15 on: 19:25:58, 11/11/09 »
The trouble with the Kinder Cairn is that it is forever changing, most places say it will have stakes in it (which yours doesn't) but the cairn i got to looked nothing like the pics I had seen, which are hard to find.

However I do believe I got there and when I went it was back in march when they were doing a lot of work around there with A LOT of fresh peat around and dug up.

We'll see what it looks like this week when we go eh :)

Interestingly look at this:
http://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/News-Landing/Search-Results/Outdoor-headlines/Kinder-Scout-has-a-new-high-point/

See what I mean about it looking different to yours too?
Check out SLP Photography Derbyshire Wedding Photographer

radder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 20:25:37, 11/11/09 »
See what I mean about it looking different to yours too?

So how do you know mines not right and there cairn is wrong  ;) trouble with Kinder's summit there is cairns dotted all around, the one above is the only one that come out on the GPS at 2088 feet the others were either 2087ft, 2086ft etc so took this as the true summit  O0

Granty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 21:24:42, 11/11/09 »
Like I say, its always changing, yours could have been right at the time of taking :)

Best thing to do is we'll get memory map on my PDA and when we're stood at the magic 636m mark on the map we'll know :)

Pearsy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 22:26:57, 11/11/09 »
I had the same trouble this year.  i'd navigated to a cairn which should have been the summit but there was no stake.  it took me a good hour rooting around before it was obvious to me that the wood had been removed from it.  I triple checked by taking a bearing to the pym chair and noe stool.  (I took the bearings and walked on them till they were visible and returned.)  Its not quite GPS accurate but I'm 100% convinced that when i went up there i was on the summit cairn. Without stakes..... 8)

Granty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 22:48:22, 11/11/09 »
Even GPS can be out by 5-10m and height wise its not going to be spot on either.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy