Author Topic: Snowden vs Skarpel vs Ben nevis  (Read 14794 times)

mikefromEngland

Snowden vs Skarpel vs Ben nevis
« on: 19:14:41, 23/05/07 »
Hi all,

I'm relativly new to this hiking and hill walking lark (about 8 months) but have managed to get Snowden (Pyg pass) and Ben Nevis in my portfolio.  I've also done Pen Y Fan a few times.  I've become quite addicted and disappointed that its taken me 37 years to discover this pastime.

I was warned that nevis would be 10 times harder than Snowden, but after completing it last Saturday, I disagree.  I think I found it easier in terms of the walk although the weather conditions were pretty grim on the way down.

My next venture is obviously Skarpel - how does this compare to Snowden and Ben Nevis?  Some people have told me that it is the hardest although not the highets walk.  What can I expect?

Thanks

Mike

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
Re: Snowden vs Skarpel vs Ben nevis
« Reply #1 on: 20:13:46, 23/05/07 »
Hi and welcome to the forum. I must agree with you on this one Ben Nevis is easy compare to snowden i done Snowden  twice now one by the Llanberis path and the other one by Horseshoe route which is a good route up and hands are required and a lot of nerve as the route is riddled with steep drops.  Where with Ben Nevis we just went up the normal route via the Bridge.  still a good route a bit easier thou. But i think it depand's on went you like.  And find hard to do i never done Skarpel so i could'nt compare this with the other two.

peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

mikefromEngland

« Reply #2 on: 20:29:01, 23/05/07 »
Thanks for the reply Walkinggirl.  I was becoming quite anxious before flying up to Scotland as so many people told me I'd bitten off more than I could chew. 

When I do Skarpel (hopefully nefore August), I'll post how I found it.

Bye

Mike

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:54:13, 31/05/07 »
If you mean scarfell pike. Yes sorry i have done this one a couple of times i also got Vertigo up here as well as snowdon which makes it still done it made it tro the summit. and back.
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

nickson71

« Reply #4 on: 20:49:06, 04/06/07 »
If you do mean Scarfell pike I've done it twice ........... both times followed a two year break and the last time all of us were hung over and the weather was poor ... abit of low cloud and plenty of moisture! so it was a bit challenging ...... good fun though

we even saw some idiot in flip flops ???

titaniumdude

« Reply #5 on: 21:44:33, 04/06/07 »
Those flip flop dudes always make me smile.   :)  Sca Fell pike, choose an interesting approach, great mountain.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

didge666

« Reply #6 on: 10:03:40, 20/06/07 »
SNOWDON is steep if u go the wrong way .The train line is long but not steep................north ridge is crazy 1000 ft drops both side i had verticgo.

NEVIS has the name coz of the height and of course the scottish whether which is very dangerose and the snow the top of nevis is a trap with hidden holes covered by snow and dont fellow the wrong path 1 leads to 5 finger gully need i say more ...............

scarfell........IS the best of them all. Camp at angle tarn ...it steep ruff paths do not go up the summit path in high winds u will see the summit path when u near top u will know this when u see it i was knocked off my feet by a gust of wind must have been 140 easy and am 25 + i had a full burgen on my back coz the wheather so bad ..i take every thing i need to sleep there IF i have too .......but wow that the best i been on in uk ......GO FROM ANGLE TRAN IT THE SAFEST SOME OF THE PATH ARE NUTTS SO BE CAREFULL...and have fun

kirbstones

« Reply #7 on: 08:53:01, 07/09/07 »
Sorry to be blunt but if you don't know the proper names of the mountains you want to climb you might be better (and safer) going for a walk in the park.  You sound more like a 'list ticker' to me than a real walker.
Phil
www.lakeland-walks.co.uk - guided walking in the Lake District and beyond.
www.windermere-way.co.uk - a walk around England's largest lake.

Feriol

« Reply #8 on: 10:54:54, 07/09/07 »
Sorry to be blunt but if you don't know the proper names of the mountains you want to climb you might be better (and safer) going for a walk in the park.  You sound more like a 'list ticker' to me than a real walker.

Since when is knowing the names important to enjoying the experience? I have been on top of dozens of peaks on the way to my goal without caring what they were called. Besides, he/she knew the name, just not the spelling.
sun dogs fire on the horizon
meteor rain stars across the night
this moment may be brief
but it can be so bright
(Rush - Chain Lightning)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy