Author Topic: TGO Challenge 2008 trip report  (Read 17832 times)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: TGO Challenge 2008 trip report
« Reply #15 on: 14:51:06, 25/05/08 »
In the morning, we cooked a big big breakfast and, as also arranged shared the vegetarian parts of it with Judith, who's other option seemed to have been to have bacon butties without the bacon (though I daresay she could have had a baked spud)
Anyway, it were grand.
I said farewell to my daughter, some socks and undies and other spare clothes, maps, food I didnt want, and Becky's boyfiriend and stomped off towards Glen Dye. On the way I was offerred some puppies for sale. I couldnt take these, obviously as I already had enough food for an evening meal.....
A bit of moorland and a found and very ancient compass later and I was brewing up at the head of Glen Dye. This Glen holds the Charr bothy where I turned up a couple of hours later for another brew and to write something inane in the bothy book.
I passed my originally intended campsite at Spital bridge (a great pity, this, cos its really nice) - and plodded on into Fetterresso Forest for a gamble on a reasonable pitch at a place called "The Builg". this, it appeared from the map had a small stream and no trees. The signs weren't very promising, though as all the other clearings I came across had either tussocky grass or deep heather, neither of which is too good for pitching tents on.
When I got there I found two other tents in residence, so I slipped my in between them.
Not much else happened to be fair - we were all a bit tired.  I dont remember much darkness, though....

17 miles (up to 186 miles now) and 2150 feet of climbing.
« Last Edit: 11:34:42, 26/05/08 by mike knipe »
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 17:54:56, 25/05/08 »
Some more fantastic reading mike, cheers.., waiting for more.......... O0
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 22:41:46, 25/05/08 »
Final walking day...... (but not necessarily the end of the event!!

Ate some rubbish for brekkies (meat paste and oatcakes and brunch bars...)  and set off for a long session of forest tracks. My original route had been changed because of various reports that my intended exit from the forest was blocked in various impassable ways. 

At one point, whilst stpping for a brew, I noticed out of the corner of my eye, a little deer tiptoing across the burn - followed by another one in a bit of a panic. I'm not sure what they were, but they were quite small - sort of medium-sized dog size.

After the forest, I had a few miles of road walking and I amused myself by shouting rude things at the cattle in the fields. These were mainly bullocks of various sorts and they all responded by bouncing around the fields and pretending to chase me. I think we all enjoyed it!

Eventually, I crossed the A90 and a few remaining lanes lead me to Dunnottar castle - a very dramatic ending to the walk. I went down to the beach and dipped me boots and rang various people to let them listen to the surf over the phone (!)
Apparently the Scottish crwon jewels were hidden at Dunnottar when the naughty English were after them...

Not quite the end of the walk, though - I had to follow a couple of miles of cliff-top path to get to Stonehaven for the bus to Montrose.  Incidentally, if anybody from Aberdeenshire public transport thingy reads this, nobody at the Stonehaven Transport Interchange (two bus shelters) could understand the timetables. All I could make out was that all the buses stopped at Stonehaven and that Montrose was out of the question. Some locals knew better, however and a bus eventually arrived.

Once at Montrose, I reported to the Control at the Park Hotel for my free cuppa and biscuit and to get my badge, t-shirt, certificate and RAB fleece..... and some beer.....then off to Montrose campsite

20 miles (total 206) and 1550 feet of ascent.

Still not the absolute final end of the tale, though.....

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 22:47:37, 25/05/08 »
Loads of other Challengers on the campsite and in the town.
Thursday, I entertained myself by having a full Scottish at Tescos (no alarms and no surprises) and sitting in my tent snoozing and eating smokies, hot smoked salmon, crusty bread with a bottle of plonk.
In the evening, I met Bob from Consett and we went along to the dinner and slosh-up at the Park Hotel - lots of speeches and jokes - and more filming.
Back to the campsite just (only just) before dawn...

Most walks just come to an end and sometimes it can feel a bit like an anti-climax.
The TGO has this big dinner where everybody gets together. There are smaller events on the Wednesday and the Friday.

Its all good fun and gives a nice, satisfying end - and everybody has on the same T-shirts!!

Home Friday on a train full of challengers...

The end.

I want to do it again next year!

In the pics below, by the way, my tent is the green one....
« Last Edit: 23:19:51, 25/05/08 by mike knipe »

Dizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 22:53:01, 25/05/08 »
Wow,thanks Mike...fantastic report and awesome pics.What stunning scenery,well done!

Claire p.s. I think I'm in  love with Bob ;D No seriously what a fantastic achievement,hope I can manage something similar one day.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 22:58:29, 25/05/08 »
Hmmm...thought certain peeps might like Bob. I understand he teaches yoga and is also a joiner (for those little jobs around the house) - I could probably..er......(koff) :-[
Just added a cuppla pics to the previous post....

Dizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 23:13:33, 25/05/08 »
 ;D Supple and good with his hands *swoons*

Sorry have completely lowered the tone of your fab post Mike!Off to sit in the naughty corner.

ogy

« Reply #22 on: 10:55:20, 26/05/08 »
Fantastic report Mike, well enjoyed reading that, good to have you back

Ogy

There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. - Sir Ranulph Fiennes

muymalestado

« Reply #23 on: 12:04:23, 26/05/08 »
Thanks Mike - been waiting to read of your Challenge.  Well walked   O0
I think this next one will be the top ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 13:08:55, 02/06/08 »
Great report and great achievement Mike.

I was away last week so I didn't read the first installments so that I could do it all justice at 1 go today, it was worth the wait.

Do you have any details about the documentary you mentioned being filmed?

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 22:24:40, 02/06/08 »
I must admit to being a bit confused as to the who's, why's and when's about this film. I'll keep my TGO ears on and if/when any more info pops up, I'll put  a post on here.  A few short videos of the dinner and peeps arriving at Challenge control are appearing on youtube at the moment and there was a link from the TGO challenge website to a Cameron McNeish website with bits of video on it - but my link didnt work and I got distracted by something else (I have a very short attention ......er...............                                        is that crimewatch on the TV just now....?)

Dave Wood

« Reply #26 on: 23:24:30, 02/06/08 »
Another entertaining TGO trip report Mike. I enjoyed your company over Cairn Bannoch and Broad Cairn in the snow flurries and also in the bar at the Park Hotel in Montrose.
Hope to walk with you again sometime.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 23:33:57, 02/06/08 »
Ah Dave, its yourself!  Didnt we have a bit of fun, though? I haven't enjoyed myself so much since the Titanic sank - no doubt we'll meet again on some wind-blown rocky and-ever-so-slightly snowy Scottish top... (Or maybe even in some dark and secret drinking den   ;) ;))
« Last Edit: 23:56:53, 02/06/08 by mike knipe »

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 23:59:09, 02/06/08 »
Wow what a Spectacular read very intoxicated, I must say pictures look grand as well.... And what an achievement Mike. This is one of the things I've really got planned for nxt year in fact I've book it off already!!! The one thing I like about this is making your own route up!!! and be spoilt for choice... That what I liked about the SUW... And the places to see and visit are unbelievable....  Well done Mike..
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 00:04:52, 03/06/08 »
I'd love to see you in your 2009 TGO T shirt at the Montrose "do" walkingirl.  You'd have no problem with it, what with your SUW experience ( I suspect the TGO might be a bit easier than SUW) - anyway, you should deffo go for it, I think you'd enjoy it..... O0 O0 get your application in in September/October - I'll be doing a bit of nagging just to make sure, mind!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy