Author Topic: South West Coast Path..Stories and Companions..  (Read 1944 times)

lisab

Hi,
I've just started walking the South West Coast Path, I've done the Minehead to Porlock leg, and will be continuing it in manageable bites of at least 12 miles a day, whenever i have some time at the weekends. It could take a while!
I'm interested in hearing of anyones experiences along this path, and am also looking for a walking partner who lives in Somerset or Devon who would like to join me on this route, or any other.
Lisa

Snowman

Re: South West Coast Path..Stories and Companions..
« Reply #1 on: 10:29:47, 18/09/07 »
I've not done the path but when I did the 2 Moors Way a few years ago I left my car at Barnstaple station.   The 2 Moors ends at Lynmouth, so the plan was to walk back along the path to Coombe Martin and then get a bus back to Lynmouth.   We weren't chickening out, but the section from Coombe Martin to Barnstaple didn't look particularly interesting, and after walking across Devon we weren't into walking just for the sake of it.

I did enjoy that section, but found out how difficult the path was.    I thought it was simply walking along cliff tops, but every time you come to a river or stream the path plumets to sea level and then back up the other side.   Thankfully The Hunter's Inn is at the bottom of one of these descents and worth a stop.

The only problem I had was that one of my walking companions was a beautiful German Shepherd, and I had visions of her chasing birds over the edge of the cliffs.

The other thing I liked about the path is that because it is in 'holiday' country, places to stay are plentiful without having to prebook everything, so you can plan on a trip that doesn't involve taking tents, sleeping bags etc.   Having crossed Dartmoor and Exmoor we had full packs, but I would expect it to be even more enjoyable without them.

This is a LDP I intend to do one day when I've got plenty of time.    I love the West Country so would like to savour it, so although I can't join you, have a good time.

S.

alexw123

Re: South West Coast Path..Stories and Companions..
« Reply #2 on: 17:32:44, 24/11/08 »
I completed the South West Coast path in October last year.  I loved it.  As Snowman says it involves a lot of climbing - in its 630 mile length you will climb about 4 times the height of Everest.

Having said that it is a walk.  Anyone who is reasonably fit should be able to do it - even the strenuous sections on the North Devon coast from Hartland.

I completed it in 5 stages over 2 years which was 41 days walking in total.

Most of the path is exhilarating.  The views down into deserted coves with turquoise water have to be seen to be believed.  There is ample accommodation and some great coastal pubs on the way.  In planning the route I used both a map and the Good Beer Guide.  It was a successful combination  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy