Author Topic: Hi, I'm new  (Read 1019 times)

thecornflake

Hi, I'm new
« on: 16:33:53, 10/02/09 »
Hi,

I'm from Kent. I have for quite a while had an obsession with hiking the Appalachian Trail in America at some point in my life, I love the outdoors and have been camping a few times before but not really in conjunction with hiking as well. Also I have two kids and one has hayfever so it's tricky to go on family camping trips.

I recently quit smoking and I'd like to reward myself by going on a few weekend trips to start gradually building up to doing the AT in a few years time.

I'd like to hear any suggestions of where to go, I'd prefer to wild camp or at least camp somewhere very basic and combine it with a short hike of say 5 miles or so to start off.

It would need to be somewhere within decent travelling distance of Kent so I could fit it in over a weekend.

radder

• Veteran Member
Re: Hi, I'm new
« Reply #1 on: 20:00:56, 10/02/09 »
Hi Thecornflake

With having a brother that lives in the U.S.A (New Jersey). I try to get over as much as I can. He lives about a hours drive from the Appalachain Mountains. So with each visit knock sections of it off. I hiked sections of the Appalachain mountains in Pennsylvania, Most of new Jersey and new York state. If you plan to do this walk in the futrue you will need a lot of planning it's going to be tough. The three states above that I have hiked contour around the 2000 feet mark but the downside to the Appalachains is that there are alot of trees and views are non existent at times which can be frustrating.  The other danger to watch out for is Bears. A few year ago at the Delaware Water Gap in Pennsylvania A bear attacked four people at the time and rangers was out hunting for it. Later found out in a local paper they kept provoking the bear with food and it attacked them. So they decided to let the bear go.
You will need a lot of preparation as the Appalachain Trail is 2,155 miles and could take up to 5-6 months to walk it.
I bought a book over there that is a very good read and can get it from Amazon for around a tenner. It's called "there are mountains to climb" by Jean Deeds and is about a 51 year old woman that had never took up  walking before but decided to walk the Appalachain Trail on retirement. Camping the whole way it took her six months to complete.

Me on the Appalachain trail somewhere in Pennsylvania

If you decide to do it in the futrue good luck to you. Its a walk I would love to do.

Mark

thecornflake

Re: Hi, I'm new
« Reply #2 on: 22:32:32, 10/02/09 »
Thanks. I've done a lot of research on the trail and read half a dozen books, including Walking with Spring, As Far as the Eye Can See, A Walk in the Woods, etc. I'll have a look for the one you mentioned.

I've wanted to do it for about three years now and I reckon I've got another five before I will get a chance, what with getting time off work and funding it. That gives me time to get fit and get the necessary gear sorted out. I was thinking it should take about 6 months, hopefully a bit less.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy