Author Topic: Dogs - how to deal with unaccompanied dogs?  (Read 6099 times)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
Re: Dogs - how to deal with unaccompanied dogs?
« Reply #45 on: 10:03:23, 11/01/18 »
Agreed, I couldn't drink gin for nearly fifty years  :(

Now that is serious.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 15:45:47, 11/01/18 »
Agreed, I couldn't drink gin for nearly fifty years  :(
Wow, that's some hangover :buck2:

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 16:03:33, 11/01/18 »
As a student I consumed far more whisky than was wise one night then went for a walk the following day not feeling at all well. To give my headache a rest I stopped on a bridge over a beck to watch the soothing waters rush by and ended up hanging onto the edge convinced that the bridge was hurtling upstream.  Didn't touch whisky for years after that!
Solvitur Ambulando

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 16:59:49, 11/01/18 »
Now we've got onto the hair of the dog, I call that really airing the subject  ;D
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 17:35:16, 11/01/18 »
That, more recently, is one thing this forum excels itself in, whether intended or not  :(

.... shortly followed by it going (sometimes wildly) off topic .... usually  ::)

There was this cat I saw on a walk once....

:D

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #50 on: 17:39:30, 11/01/18 »
As a student I consumed far more whisky than was wise one night then went for a walk the following day not feeling at all well. To give my headache a rest I stopped on a bridge over a beck to watch the soothing waters rush by and ended up hanging onto the edge convinced that the bridge was hurtling upstream.  Didn't touch whisky for years after that!

That is very similar story to one of my friends. He drank large quantities of whisky to celebrate his 21st.

Feeling very ill, he still got out of bed next day, and tried to plough a field. Having got to other side of field, turned round and noticed furrow wavered 50 yards from the straight. Went back to bed, and stayed there for over a day.

Many years later still not drunk any more whisky..but not averse to other strong drink.

Doddy

« Reply #51 on: 20:13:51, 11/01/18 »

[font=]My worst experience was with five Pyrenean Mountain Dogs in the French Alps, they guard a sheep flock and are raised with the flock and not trained to many commands, if any. They surrounded me and whichever way I went one of them lunged. Eventually the shepherd shouted to keep walking but that was easier said than done. They were distracted by him and I moved off very slowly turning around and around. Fortunately the night before in the mountain hut I had seen a leaflet on the dogs so I did know what they were when they ran up.

On my  Pennine Way at trek I was surrounded by several sheep dogs, puppies some of them and one of the dogs nipped me. Later I was more worried about infection than the wound. I knocked at the farm door the fellow said it wouldn't be his dog-the dogs were about 10 metres away at the time. I said I would hardly make the effort to ask him about it if it hadn't happened. I reported it to the Police so it could be logged in case it happened to others.The PW went right through by the farm and passing the dogs was unavoidable.
Over the years growing up we had three dogs and enjoyed then immensely so I appreciate them and don't fear them.

robb

« Reply #52 on: 16:31:07, 27/02/18 »
The best way I feel is to 'name and shame,' you can argue with people who have their dogs off-lead but it's like talking to a brick wall until they're called out on it by social-media means. I always keep my dog on lead and it's mind-boggling as to how many idiot-owners you see letting their dogs off lead just because they're out on a field, the law states that in a public area a dog must be controllable at all times and on agriculture land with livestock this is especially true.

I came across this village idiot today whose golden-spaniel was running around my leashed dog and causing aggravation, uncontrolled and rather than being apologetic the idiot was having a go at me  ??? 

https://imgur.com/a/8CRWF

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 19:19:41, 27/02/18 »
The best way I feel is to 'name and shame,' you can argue with people who have their dogs off-lead but it's like talking to a brick wall until they're called out on it by social-media means. I always keep my dog on lead and it's mind-boggling as to how many idiot-owners you see letting their dogs off lead just because they're out on a field, the law states that in a public area a dog must be controllable at all times and on agriculture land with livestock this is especially true.

I came across this village idiot today whose golden-spaniel was running around my leashed dog and causing aggravation, uncontrolled and rather than being apologetic the idiot was having a go at me  ??? 

https://imgur.com/a/8CRWF
I don’t keep my dog on a lead ALL the time, but I do when it’s appropriate, so I must be one of your idiots, having said that I pity your dog if it’s on the lead all the time as you said.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

robb

« Reply #54 on: 19:28:35, 27/02/18 »
He's well fed, he's well exercised and happy wagging his tail. The reason he's always on a lead is because he's a rescue dog and because of his past-history is not 100% trustworthy to be controllable off-lead with commands. And because where he's walked is land where livestock (sheep and horses) graze, it's a public right of way but by-law ALL dogs should still need to be leashed when out in this kind of environment.

Even though I know the landowner I still set an example by following the law. Unlike the majority of gormless idiots on the same field who let their dog/s run-loose and often any command for them to 'come back' simply gets ignored. Its not only about the lack of control, it's about the lack of respect for other people (dog walkers, walkers, cyclists, the farmer) when these people think that the field is there for their own personal use.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #55 on: 19:37:04, 27/02/18 »
You seem to be quite insulting towards other people there,  but whatever turns you on I guess. I won’t justify myself to you or anyone else, because I know how responsible I am as an owner while still allowing my dog the freedom he loves. Have you considered walking elsewhere? Maybe where gormless idiots don’t roam  :)

robb

« Reply #56 on: 19:49:11, 27/02/18 »
So because a handful of people can't take the responsibility for keeping their dog on a lead, even when it's written into law that they are required to do so, i'm suggested to walk elsewhere? We walk all over the countryside without any problems as the majority of people also leash their dogs out of courtesy. It's quite amusing as to when you get closer to civilization there's always the village idiot whose letting their own dog/s run loose and suddenly because i'm there i'm in the wrong for telling them to keep their own dog/s under control.

I'd say 90% of owners are responsible and know that any kind of dog, no matter how much social training it's had, is still a animal and must be treated as so. When you become complacent and think of the dog as a child is when the problems begin. I have just as much right to walk my dog on the field as anyone else, without fear of either of us being attacked, intimidated, or threatened.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #57 on: 20:05:38, 27/02/18 »
Oh dear you really do have an issue don’t you  ::)  I was merely suggesting if it bothers you that much what other people do in your area, then you have another option, walk elsewhere, or don’t and put up with it, makes no odds to me. But calling people juvenile names will only get you wound up, not them. Not every owner who has their dog off the lead is an idiot, it’s all about being responsible and appropriate.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #58 on: 21:08:40, 27/02/18 »
I've had my fair share of dog problems. I try SIT!, I've tried growling at them, putting my rucksack in between them and me as a shield (was effective!) I've done the occasional kick, I've poked a couple of times with my hiking sticks and last year I even punched one on the nose! More of a panic on my part but it worked. One bloke I met on the Pennine Way even suggested I should try weeing on them. Never had the nerve to try that! A couple of years ago I met a bloke in the Lakes who had bought a lazer pen to try to disperse cows, told me he hadn't tried it on dogs, again never tried that, seems a bit high tech to me?

My primary gripe is with owners, I've rarely met an unnacompanied dog. Why do some owners think their dogs speak English, I've seen no evidence of it. I really hate it when they shout from 200yds back "Its allright he/she won't hurt you" One owner shouted that to me when her dog, a red setter jumped up and gripped my wrist between his teeth. I kneed him in the chest and he let go, the lady then blamed me! I just walked off and ignored her.

I had a situation in Kent a couple of years ago. I was on the footpath, this blokes fence backed onto the field I was crossing, he let loose 5 small dogs who charged at me and tried to nip at my ankles. When I shouted out a protest he just went back into his garden and left me to it. When I finally got over the stile onto the road I was furious and marched up to his front door and banged the door with my hiking stick handle. He never answered! I complained to Ashford Council but they did nothing, one of their pals no doubt?

I agree with Doddy, those French sheep dogs can be really scary, I've only met one at a time, five would really freak me out!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #59 on: 21:10:19, 27/02/18 »
... because where he's walked is land where livestock (sheep and horses) graze, it's a public right of way but by-law ALL dogs should still need to be leashed when out in this kind of environment.

That's not exactly right.  Dogs may have to be under close control, but that's different to saying they must be leashed
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy