Author Topic: Whitby to scarborough  (Read 1533 times)

nodiseos

Whitby to scarborough
« on: 20:38:22, 12/09/18 »
I have a couple days and was thinking to go from London up to Whitby and walk down to Scarborough with one stop on the way. My question is what’s the best way to go by train from London. What’s the easiest way for connections.  And any recommendations for stops along the way are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: Whitby to scarborough
« Reply #1 on: 20:55:10, 12/09/18 »
To get to Whitby by train from London, go to Kings Cross and get a train to Darlington (usually LNER) and then one to Middlesborough, from there you can get a train to Whitby. Getting back from Scarborough is easier as you get a train to York and then one to London.

As for the walk, Robin Hood's Bay is probably the nearest to half way and has plenty accommodation. Ravenscar is about the halfway mark and it has a Hotel but it's pricey. A regular bus service runs between Scarborough and Whitby passing through Robin Hood's Bay so you could stay at either of them and then get the bus to and from Robin Hood's Bay at the end of the day.

I guess it depends how far you want to walk each day.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:41:53, 12/09/18 »
There are two routes from Whitby to Scarborough. The Cleveland Way Coast route and the Cinder track ( a disused railway line). Both pass through Robin Hoods Bay. It is possible to do two circulars using the cinder track as the final part of the circle if using Robin Hoods Bay as your base. ( being a railway line it is fairly flat and really easy walking).RHB -Whitby- RHB AND RHB -Scarborough- RHB
Too little, too late, too bad......

andybr

« Reply #3 on: 10:27:57, 13/09/18 »
Jimbob is correct about the possibility of using the old railway track but there are a couple of issues with this. The first (minor) problem is that the route passes through a housing estate at Scalby where it leaves Scarborough and a lot of people seem to have difficulty finding their way through this. The second more important thing to bear in mind is that the railway track loops inland between Ravenscar and Robin Hoods Bay and is much longer than the Cleveland Way route here. As it is a fairly boring trudge as well you might want to consider just reversing the outbound route from Ravenscar.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:15:12, 13/09/18 »
Sorry my language may not have been clear. I was trying to show that circular routes are possible and that half of the circle ( approx ) was a dead easy walk. I usually do these routes annually when on my annual pilgrimage to Whitby Folk Week. This year I left my rainjacket behing in RHB chip shop, so was forced to walk back agin next day to pick it up and eat more Fish and chips.

I used Viewranger and never got lost in Scalby. Didn't even realise that thee is a problem there. But hey that was me I tend to wander about blindly anyway.

andybr

« Reply #5 on: 11:24:41, 13/09/18 »
Jimbob. I live close to the railway track near Scalby and the main issue is where the route passes a sheltered housing site and it looks like private property.
ps. If you meant the fish and chip shop next to the Cleveland Way "alley" I would say that you fell on your feet.  :)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:38:59, 13/09/18 »
Small world!  This weekend I'm up at Cloughton  :)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:44:15, 13/09/18 »
Jimbob. I live close to the railway track near Scalby and the main issue is where the route passes a sheltered housing site and it looks like private property.
ps. If you meant the fish and chip shop next to the Cleveland Way "alley" I would say that you fell on your feet.  :)
That is the one. Huge long queue in the alley and only me climbing the stairs to the empty dining room upstairs, extremely quick service. (Mariondale Fisheries) asked for Cod got a whale.

Had a great time in Whitby this year. Mrs Jimbob playing her fiddle all day, me out walking every day. Think I may try the whole of the Esk Valley walk next year. On one day I walked to Grosmont via the road this year then back to Whitby via the Final stretch of that route.

andybr

« Reply #8 on: 12:31:34, 14/09/18 »
That is the one. Huge long queue in the alley and only me climbing the stairs to the empty dining room upstairs, extremely quick service. (Mariondale Fisheries) asked for Cod got a whale.

Had a great time in Whitby this year. Mrs Jimbob playing her fiddle all day, me out walking every day. Think I may try the whole of the Esk Valley walk next year. On one day I walked to Grosmont via the road this year then back to Whitby via the Final stretch of that route.

The Esk Valley Walk is lovely. A bit of a hidden gem. My wife and I did it a few years ago stopping at the Lion Inn and the Board Inn at Lealholm (a long day but well worth it). I took some video footage of our final day which is here:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNDDj5Eazjo

Oldtramp

« Reply #9 on: 13:17:17, 14/09/18 »
In answer to the original question.  Getting to Whitby by train is scenic but slow.  As an alternative, consider train to York, then bus.  It doesn't take any longer and will give you more options.

http://www.yorkbus.co.uk/cmsUploads/route/files/CoastlinerJUNE18WEB-11.pdf

Return from Scarborough by train via York, is easy, with lots of services.

I've done Scarborough to Whitby in a day twice.  About 20 miles, but not desperately hard, so you'll do fine over 2 days. Last time I tried to cut a mile by staying the previous night at the northernmost hotel I could find in Scarborough -- the Clifton.  Bad mistake- on arrival found it belong to Britannia Group.  Tatty and tried to add assorted extra charges for any sort of card. So I paid paid cash and they looked resentful.  Food poor; ambience worse.  Only merit was a vertical view down onto the North Beach. 

Apparently these shysters --- who've won the accolade of being the worst hotel group in the UK and ruined the Adelphi in L'pool ---- also control the Grand in Scarborough. So avoid that too.  (https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/britannia-hotels-worst-uk-premier-inn-best-hotel-chains-guests-judge-a8017041.html). 

There's a big hotel at Ravenscar, which is about half way, and the bar, at least, is more welcoming to walkers than the outside grandeur might suggest.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy