Author Topic: TR 2 dayer from Patterdale Tue 4 Sep to Wed 5 Sep 18  (Read 1744 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Day 1
I got the bus to Patterdale for a solo overnighter. I was going over Beda Fell first and hoping to pitch on Sleet Fell or High Dodd. It was 12.20pm when I got to Patterdale. There were sunny spells and it was warm. I was regretting putting on a long sleeved base layer meant for colder weather, I was getting too hot. A lone Ranger was Fixing the Fells, the path up Boredale Hause is having some work done.

Looking back toward Ullswater from the Boredale Hause path

Boredale from the path to Beda Fell

Beda Fell summit ahead

The cloud had broken up and it got even warmer with the sun beating down

Beda Fell summit view

Hallin Fell and Ullswater from Beda Fell

On the way to Winter Crag

I had a break on Winter Crag and had some food. I said hello to a group of walkers who were near the seat on Howstead Brow as I dropped down to Garth Heads.

There seemed to be a few paths through the bracken up to Sleet Fell but I carried on to the finger post that said Place Fell 4 miles. I then left this path after a while to start the ascent of Sleet Fell.

On the way up Sleet Fell

A couple were descending and I agreed with them that it was very steep. I was pleased I wasn't descending, it was hard enough going up.

Sleet Fell cairn

There were loads of places to pitch here but I carried on toward High Dodd. It was hot hard work on the last climb up but I knew I would have to get water, another descent and then back up again.

The Drift on High Dodd

I'd spotted a possible pitch but had to go down to Low Moss Gill for the water first. I left my rucksack and took my bladder down to the beck to fill. I'd forgotten the Drift needs a bigger flat space to pitch as it is bigger then the MSR although a kg lighter. It took a while to find an area that was suitable. It was about 6.30 by the time I got set up and got some food on the go. I spotted some deer but the pics I took weren't great they were too far away, I hoped they would be about tomorrow.

The Drift on High Dodd

I had some tea and poured some wine. I'd sat outside to eat but it was getting chilly, a big cloud had hidden the sun, just in time for the sunset! I got inside the tent not expecting to see the sun go down.

I would get a sunset of sorts there was a gap below the cloud and Hart Side and the sun appeared.

The last sunset shot

Not a great sunset but at least I got one. Beefy called and I told him about the day. I finished my wine in the dark, I'd forgotten the lantern. The temperature had dropped too as it got dark. What a nice day out, I hoped it would be as nice tomorrow. The route was Patterdale - Boredale Hause - Beda Fell - Winter Crag - Doe Green - Sleet Fell - High Dodd. 12km with 883m ascent, 543 descent

Day 2
It had got cold overnight and there was a heavy dew too. The tent fly was wet inside and out, nowt you can do about this, there was no wind at all, any tent would be wet in these conditions. It was dry inside the inner, that is what is important. I was away before 8am and I could see deer about. I hoped I would get close to them so I could take some pics

Deer in view as I walked toward Place Fell

Two stags having a rut practise

I hadn't realised they were doing this at the time, I thought they were eating grass! I was spotted by a few deer.

This one spotted me too

I saw the deer running for cover, it was nice to see them while I could. I was sweating buckets, it was very warm, it was sunny with no wind and I regretted again wearing the long sleeved top

Place Fell summit ahead

Glenridding and Helvellyn range from Place Fell

Place Fell summit

I descended to Boredale Hause. I'd been alone so far but there were more folk about here.

Angle Tarn

I escaped from them all and diverted off the Coast to Coast path and went over Cat Crag to reach Brock Crags

For a second I thought Beefy was on Brock Crags summit!

Toward Brotherswater from Brock Crags

Toward Helvelyn from Brock Crags

Gray Crag from Brock Crags

I would be following that trod seen in this shot after I'd had a rest, I wanted to see where it went!

A baby deer and mother

I had some food and a brew watching these two from below Brock Crags. I sat too long, over an hour!

Mother and baby deer sunbathing

Gray Crag and Pasture Bottom

The trod led to the left of the outcrop with the sheep on. I zig zagged downward to the path proper. The trod I had followed had disappeared, or I might have lost it.

On the zig zag path to the filter house

The obligatory shot of Harstop Barn with some berries

At Hartsop I turned right on the lovely path to Patterdale, I never tire of it. I got to Patterdale about twenty minutes before the bus so I carried on walking to Grisedale Bridge. What a grand couple of days, shame the weather looks rubbish for the weekend.
Day 2 was High Dodd - Place Fell - Boredale Hause - Stony Rigg - Cat Crag - Brock Crags - Filter House - Hartsop - Crookabeck - Grisedale Bridge 14.5km with 572m ascent, 912m descent

I took some pictures with my eyes closed. Can anyone tell which ones?  :)
Some disability awareness info. Here is a link to an interesting article in The Guardian.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/oct/12/registered-blind-people-assume-things-dog-stick
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR 2 dayer from Patterdale Tue 4 Sep to Wed 5 Sep 18
« Reply #1 on: 22:48:50, 05/09/18 »
Great pics and tr Ape O0 
A shame I wasn't there to enjoy the nice weather
Interesting article that, I found this on YouTube

https://youtu.be/VN3U1MWJsdo

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 23:01:03, 05/09/18 »
Thanks beefy  O0 I wish you had been able to come, it was nice having sunshine again.

Interesting vid  :)
Hate will never win

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 07:20:30, 06/09/18 »
Excellent trip, clear sunshine at last and beautiful skies.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:13:53, 06/09/18 »
Gorgeous photos April 8)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:38:14, 06/09/18 »
Looks lovely, beautiful and clear.

Don't you take all your pictures with your eyes closed?  ;)
I think knowing someone in a situation is the only way to really appreciate the problems that they have. Even then everyone is different so one visually impaired person will be different to another not only in their impairment but also the way they deal with it and life.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:50:51, 06/09/18 »
Lovely couple of days by the looks of it - great photos of the deer, they really do make a day special when you can sit and watch them.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:02:10, 06/09/18 »
Excellent deer shots  O0 O0 O0
See how much better u do without beefy.............. ;D
Where is he? No point slagging him off if he's not reading this. :P
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Petrolhead

« Reply #8 on: 10:46:12, 06/09/18 »
Absolutely wonderful. So many glorious photos. Love the rutting one. And the little head popping up.

Great post April!

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:05:16, 06/09/18 »
Great photos April     :)     

You were lucky to get such good pics of the deer.  I always find they scamper away so quickly!

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:46:52, 06/09/18 »
Lovely pics April O0  Looks like you had the best weather of this week
Not sure about this going out in the week when the rest of us are working...doesn't seem fair to me :D

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:48:06, 06/09/18 »
Thanks vghikers, sunnydale, pdstsp, Petrolhead and Dovegirl  O0

Don't you take all your pictures with your eyes closed?  ;)

;D

See how much better u do without beefy.............. ;D
Where is he? No point slagging him off if he's not reading this. :P

;D
He had hospital appointments. Shame cos the weather isn't going to be great this weekend and he missed a nice couple of days.

Not sure about this going out in the week when the rest of us are working...doesn't seem fair to me :D

I just got absolutely soaked coming home from work today. And I mean totally drenched. I got caught in a biblical thunderstorm  ;D So I feel no guilt having had sunshine on Tue and Wed when you were working  :D

Hate will never win

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 00:44:09, 11/10/18 »
Wow !
Great post April. I know I've not been keeping up these past few months and your TRs remind me what I've been missing.
Thanks for sharing your special times with us.

All the photos, taken with eyes shut or open are all cracking ...and I was especially taken with ....." On the way to Winter Crag"
The article about sight impairment is very interesting and I understand the twin dilemmas of how people don't understand/perceive what the condition means to the individual and the isolation that having such a condition creates in that person.

I find it ironic that in such a PC state, we have to be ever so careful about who we 'exclude' (or don't) and it seems those that shout the loudest get the most attention ....... I don't need to state what groups within society have all the attention: But those with impairments, such as this, almost go under the radar.
Is it because they are more inclined to just get on with their lives and carry on doing what others in society do (like wanting a night out) rather than being more of an 'activist'  ?
I realise this may create a wave of accusations of prejudice, but I'm not. I may simply not be sufficiently articulate to say what I want to say without upsetting somebody. And that in itself isn't prejudice.
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 12:38:41, 11/10/18 »
The article about sight impairment is very interesting and I understand the twin dilemmas of how people don't understand/perceive what the condition means to the individual and the isolation that having such a condition creates in that person.

Thanks IM I had a good couple of days out.

It was in response to a post made on here by someone who works at an outdoor store (post now deleted) which highlighted the lack of awareness some people have regarding sight impaired people, I took some of those photos with my eyes closed. I posted the link about the visually impaired man on a night out too because he is a bloke like any other just trying to live his life despite his poor vision. I am very lucky that I was well educated in my previous life in Newcastle and disability awareness training was part of that education, provided by my employer, others are not as lucky it seems. Beefy posted a link to a video too that illustrated the levels of sight impairment people can have. I wrote to the outdoor store asking if they had a programme of disability awareness training for their staff but have had no reply as yet.

Like you say people with disabilities just want to live as normal a life as they can and some don't want to draw attention to their disability at all, they want to appear "normal". I certainly don't think your comments are prejudiced; they are insightful (pun intended!)
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy