Author Topic: Boot Expectations  (Read 4485 times)

peterhw

Boot Expectations
« on: 12:08:29, 01/02/18 »
I am new to the forum and not a great walker - merely someone disappointed with the 'sturdy' boots I purchased.

I came across a post about 10 years old with people referring to boots falling apart, fair 'wear & tear' etc. and just thought I'd add my story.

I purchased a pair of boots some 10 years ago for occasional use in bad weather. We just moved to Scotland and dug my boots out.  I noticed the sole was falling apart / disintegrating and just amazed at the mess.  I have never had this problem with other footwear.

I have probably used them 10 times or less and travelled considerably less than 10 km - hence £5-£10 per use or km seems extreme!

I have contacted the supplier and await a reply.
Am I expecting too much?
Is it so wrong to buy a pair of boots for occasional use and expect them to be serviceable when you wish to use them or does this fall outside the ‘fit for purpose’ phrase?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Boot Expectations
« Reply #1 on: 12:43:15, 01/02/18 »
Welcome to the forum.
Hard to answer your question without knowing what sort of boots they are, how they have been stored and how they have been cared for.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:46:18, 01/02/18 »
My wifes original walking boots, all leather, cheap ones made in Eastern Europe, they look like a pair of Brashers and have sat untouched in our garage for about 15 years and have never been moved since then. After reading your thread I decided to have a look at them again. No problem, they were covered in dust and are obviously in need of a good going over to try soften them up again, but they look almost as they did the last time they were used. The insides of the boots look perfect. I'm not gpoing to try to soften them for use again, my wife will never use them anymore. All that she remembers about them was how good they were at grip when crossing slippery rocks. The soles are well worn but in those days she wore them a lot.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:51:48, 01/02/18 »
I have contacted the supplier and await a reply.
Am I expecting too much?

Almost certainly but then it depends on the boots  ;)
Where there's a will ...

peterhw

« Reply #4 on: 12:52:11, 01/02/18 »
Thanks for swift response.
The boots have the name Rogerson with Vibram on the sole with suede / leather upper.  The boots have been stored in under bed drawer for most of the time.  The soles are clean. (PS tried to attach a photo - but too large)

Just seen a second post about 15 year old boots.  Yes I disposed of a pair of boots that I'd had as a teenager (now retired) not long before before I bought these boots 10 years ago - great condition but just too heavy.  I've had a pair of snow boots for many, many years which have shared the same drawer!
« Last Edit: 13:24:12, 01/02/18 by peterhw »

pilgrimgp7

« Reply #5 on: 13:00:40, 01/02/18 »

RUBBER PERISHES

peterhw, good afternoon Sir. I would not regard that as a total surprise & I would also not regard it as a total surprise to pull them out the cupboard looking wearable also but 10 years is a long time & rubber perishes. I assume your boot soles are rubber & not wood.

Rubber is a compound & a chain of something is only as strong as its weakest link which is the join. Anything that attacks that joint can have a devastating affect pretty quickly. Wetsuits go mouldy & rot in the right conditions. Rubber fittings designed to be used in water will crumble & break apart if left dry for example but another type of rubber won't. Car tyres get eroded by friction but if you have enough grip will work in the wet & dry.

In normal use you would probably worn the boots out a few years ago through friction & if they aren't re-soleable you'd have had to buy some more wouldn't you mate. I know they used to test rubber & the longevity of it with ozone as ozone attacks the sulphide which makes the elasticity & when that has happened it looks similar to what you describe.

Get some new boots pal, put the devastating discovery behind you & get out there for a walk.

10 years to not use boots is disgusting peterhw. The poor things have curled up & died in shame.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:08:18, 01/02/18 »
Google is not a lot of help on this brand - the only Rogerson I could find is a chain of shoe shops in Scotland rather than a manufacturer. I couldn't find Veram soles either - sounds like someone trying to rip off vibram soles - they are not made in China are they?
Solvitur Ambulando

peterhw

« Reply #7 on: 13:19:42, 01/02/18 »
Hi

Rogerson have a number of stores in Scotland.  The boots have the Rogerson name on inside of the sole.
The sole states VIBRAM / Verra Gomma / Made in Italy

peterhw

« Reply #8 on: 13:25:09, 01/02/18 »
....I couldn't find Veram soles either - sounds like someone trying to rip off vibram soles - they are not made in China are they?

Apologies ..Vibram

peterhw

« Reply #9 on: 14:38:14, 01/02/18 »
Wonderful news.
Rogerson still supply this product line, have the same size in stock and have agreed to replace.
Two or three exchanges of email with photos and they accept this should not happen

Excellent customer service - not just the outcome - polite , responsive and address the details of the query

Thanks for all contributions

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:22:56, 01/02/18 »
Good news - now try to wear the new ones out!
Solvitur Ambulando

peterhw

« Reply #11 on: 15:27:58, 01/02/18 »
Good news - now try to wear the new ones out!

I think I'd struggle to do that at my age !
Thanks again for comments and interest

KimE

« Reply #12 on: 13:09:57, 10/02/18 »
Swedeish military had a boot problem then they had maybee 50000 pairs in storage over 10 years then the soldiers used them the sole were sometimes left in their tracks. They are now replaced by new Finnish Seivi boots. The dryout sole problem seems to come then the boots not are used for a long time.

peterhw

« Reply #13 on: 13:23:59, 10/02/18 »
Interesting piece of information.
I suspect ..

The dryout sole problem seems to come then the boots not are used for a long time

..only happens with a specific type of rubber.  As previously stated in the thread I had an old pair of BOOTs from a teenager and got rid after 30 ish years(not least because they were 'heavy' and old 'looking'. I also have snow boots from my 20's skiing holidays which I use occasionally (we had snow a couple of weeks ago).  Both had a rubber sole and 30-40 years later with infrequent use were still very serviceable.

Thanks again for all contributions and full marks to Rogerson customer service

KimE

« Reply #14 on: 13:50:36, 10/02/18 »
Yes a part of the sole problem is what the boot manufactorers has to use new environment friendly materials such as new glue for the sole.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy