Author Topic: That's it! Gone back to tent...  (Read 7318 times)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: That's it! Gone back to tent...
« Reply #30 on: 13:35:08, 16/03/20 »
Looking at those pics.

I think I would be tempted to cut the aluminium tube about 6 inches down from the joint. Flare the cut end and insert a male to female connector with epoxy then the carbon fibre rod can easily fit into the female side of the connector. Aluminium is easy to work if you have patience and a gentle hand. If your skills are up to it you wouldn't even need a connector if you could flare 2" of the tube evenly enough to slide the fibre rod into it.
Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 13:55:40, 16/03/20 »
And if will fit, retie the bungee with a figure of 8 stop knot.
Solvitur Ambulando

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 14:37:02, 16/03/20 »
You can get CF tube, do can attach the same way.

I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

lightweightmick

« Reply #33 on: 14:45:52, 16/03/20 »
And if will fit, retie the bungee with a figure of 8 stop knot.
There will be room, yes as I'll be using the thinnest elastic available (about 1mm) - the knot goes up into tube first, not as is shown on pic where it comes to rest when end is taken out  O0
Use a smiley ...you know it makes sense

lightweightmick

« Reply #34 on: 14:47:24, 16/03/20 »
You can get CF tube, do can attach the same way.
Ah, well, now I thought that, but only Easton make CF suitable (bendy enough) to make the arch pole...  O0

lightweightmick

« Reply #35 on: 00:34:23, 17/03/20 »
Looking at those pics.

I think I would be tempted to cut the aluminium tube about 6 inches down from the joint. Flare the cut end and insert a male to female connector with epoxy then the carbon fibre rod can easily fit into the female side of the connector. Aluminium is easy to work if you have patience and a gentle hand. If your skills are up to it you wouldn't even need a connector if you could flare 2" of the tube evenly enough to slide the fibre rod into it.
Thanks Jimbob, I'll be wanting to keep the original pole intact, but this could well work with some alu tube offcuts. Cheers.

lightweightmick

« Reply #36 on: 10:08:36, 19/03/20 »
Can use Araldite on carbon fibre composites normally.
Pictures are useful here.
What's Delrin like with adhesives Steamy? A Delrin insert for CF is available and 9mm balls (for bearings I think..?) - thinking of drilling a matching hole in the ball and cementing them together...

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 10:44:33, 19/03/20 »
Delrin is a Polyoxymethylene I think. So naturally slippy.
May be to rough it up a bit to get a better mechanical fix.

Stube

« Reply #38 on: 13:13:49, 19/03/20 »
You may be spending a lot for very little weight saving and enhanced fragility.

I have a Nordisk Telemark 1 ULW which has a carbon fibre hoop pole. Very bendy and fragile and partial pole separation (while struggleing with a wet fly in strong wind) led to the end of one section splitting. Nordisk would only supply a replacement pole set - not a single section - for £180! Their LW aluminium pole set was £35 and only 25grams heavier.

I went aluminium and  replaced the titanium v-pegs (which also broke) with Ti Skewers to save weight and now have a lot more confidence in the tent.

I repaired the split pole with superglue and a brass wire strand whipping then laquered. Seems perfectly serviceable - but I'd only bother to use it in sheltered conditions if I was desparate to save every gram - which I'm not.

I find it interesting that Terra Nova have not gone for carbon fibre hoop poles even on their Ultra tents.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 13:19:18, 19/03/20 »
Delrin is a Polyoxymethylene I think. So naturally slippy.
May be to rough it up a bit to get a better mechanical fix.

Delrin is Du-Pont's trade name for acetal, which as you say is a Polyoxymethylene.
There are various types of 'fillers' (glass, high temp, low toxic etc) that are often used in Acetal products- these may / will affect the success of adhesives.

Araldite 2011 can usually be used to 'glue' Acetal.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 13:23:18, 19/03/20 »

I have a Nordisk Telemark 1 ULW which has a carbon fibre hoop pole. Very bendy and fragile and partial pole separation (while struggleing with a wet fly in strong wind) led to the end of one section splitting. Nordisk would only supply a replacement pole set - not a single section - for £180! Their LW aluminium pole set was £35 and only 25grams heavier.

I went aluminium and  replaced the titanium v-pegs (which also broke) with Ti Skewers to save weight and now have a lot more confidence in the tent.

I repaired the split pole with superglue and a brass wire strand whipping then laquered. Seems perfectly serviceable - but I'd only bother to use it in sheltered conditions if I was desparate to save every gram - which I'm not.

I find it interesting that Terra Nova have not gone for carbon fibre hoop poles even on their Ultra tents.
Yes, it does come down to how different materials fail.  CF my have better overall shear, tensile and buckling strength, but when it does fail, it becomes useless.

lightweightmick

« Reply #41 on: 15:34:11, 19/03/20 »

Nordisk would only supply a replacement pole set - not a single section - for £180!
Thanks for the input  O0

Indeed yes - the end result of keeping base weight down across the board when focusing on a specific objective.

It's 'horses for courses' - circumstances can dictate otherwise of course...

I looked into getting just the balljoint ends but it appears only full pole set is available at £80 (still an option)

It's same old same old I'm afraid - what I would refer to as 'rucksack syndrome' - manufacturers don't want you sending stuff back and wanting refunds so they make it stronger than it needs to be imo.
It's better now than it used to be but old habits persist.

lightweightmick

« Reply #42 on: 16:24:18, 19/03/20 »
Lawsuits may be another reason - carbon fiber woes re bike frames, still relevant though:

https://www.outsideonline.com/2311816/carbon-fiber-bike-accidents-lawsuits

lightweightmick

« Reply #43 on: 16:25:03, 19/03/20 »
Delrin is Du-Pont's trade name for acetal, which as you say is a Polyoxymethylene.
There are various types of 'fillers' (glass, high temp, low toxic etc) that are often used in Acetal products- these may / will affect the success of adhesives.

Araldite 2011 can usually be used to 'glue' Acetal.
O0

lightweightmick

« Reply #44 on: 16:31:32, 19/03/20 »

Nordisk would only supply a replacement pole set - not a single section - for £180!

If you wanted to repair your CF pole, although I could see why you wouldn't... check out ablain0 on eBay - he'd most likely be able to fix you up with a single section replacement - £25 minimum charge though - but he'd do you a metre's worth for that.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy