Author Topic: Pack weight for treks  (Read 6019 times)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Pack weight for treks
« Reply #30 on: 20:21:12, 12/01/18 »
Thank you.
For anyone who may be interested, here's my account of tackling the Pennine Way in 2015. The blog has lain fallow for a while, but I'll shortly take up tools again to give an account of preparations for both the SWCP and LEJOG.

Just spent an enjoyable 40 minutes reading your blog, brought back memories of last May/June  O0
Where there's a will ...

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 21:37:39, 12/01/18 »
I seem to average about 13 kg which  includes about 3 days scoff. This seems to hold good for the Pennine Way, various made-up routes and the TGO challenge. I have a fairly heavy tent - Hilleberg Akto which is 1.9 kg, but seems to be bombproof and quite roomy, and, if I have the dog with me (not allowed on the TGO chally), it adds a couple of kgs - mainly the dog's bed which is an old fowks woolly comfort thing and an old down jacket . The dog, though , carries his own food, collapsible bowls, security thingy  and so on.
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Doddy

« Reply #32 on: 23:09:00, 13/01/18 »

I enjoyed your account on the PW- brought back memories.
I have done the SWCP you will enjoy it.
Enjoy your hikes

AFANASIEW

« Reply #33 on: 08:30:13, 14/01/18 »
Interesting that you camped wild, Doddy. What did you do for water? Did you ever pay the landowners?
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 09:14:37, 14/01/18 »
Islandplodder..........it was John Hillaby's book Journey Through Britain which inspired me to do my LeJog in 2005.
Still think it is a masterpiece!  (Sorry for moving off subject!)

Doddy

« Reply #35 on: 15:57:16, 14/01/18 »

I try to be considerate and[/color]  
camp late and leave early and most of the time out of site of properties so I never have the opportunity to ask for permission therefore I have never paid. I like woodland camps and will venture off a trail a little to find one. I observe a headlight curfew so avoid being spotted from distance. I camp at least a couple of miles from villages so avoiding dog walkers who can phone a farmer friend to tell them they have someone on their land .All this seems a lot to think about but it is second nature now.
I am able to filter and/or treat water but most of the time ask in pubs and cafes to fill my Platypus; have bought some on occasions.

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 21:12:08, 24/01/18 »
Islandplodder..........it was John Hillaby's book Journey Through Britain which inspired me to do my LeJog in 2005.
Still think it is a masterpiece!  (Sorry for moving off subject!)
Thanks sparnel for this reference, I got the book off Amazon for £0.02 plus P&P and it is a cracking read. It's one of those books that I say 'I'll just read to the end of this chapter' and then read another chapter and another  :)

Regards Keith

AFANASIEW

« Reply #37 on: 20:02:11, 29/01/18 »
As a footnote, following the useful advice in response to my query, for which many thanks, I've bought a different rucksack, tent and sleeping bag to give a combined saving of 2.6Kg and brought my pack weight down to around 13.5Kg including water and rations. I'll be describing the kit choices (and mistakes) I've made in my next blog.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 14:05:33, 30/01/18 »
Nice one Doddy, thats the way to do it.  I would pay, if asked and if there were facilities on offer, but just for a 6' x 4' piece of flat ground, hopefully with the luxury of grass as well, no thanks. As for weight, I've never really bothered to find out. I've honed my pack down to 'easy to carry' and thats all I worry about these days. I could lower the pack weight further but I would then have to make new purchases which I don't want to do.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 14:28:16, 30/01/18 »
I could lower the pack weight further but I would then have to make new purchases which I don't want to do.

A man after my own heart! I could halve the weight of my thermals, used more for sleepwear than anything else, but they are comfortable and efficient, the devil I know, whereas new ones of uncertain performance would cost me around £70, with a weight saving of about £10 an ounce!

AFANASIEW

« Reply #40 on: 16:26:39, 30/01/18 »
Maybe the most effective weight reduction comes from cutting back on beer and pies! I lost 3 stones, equivalent to more than a backpack, in the year before doing the PW, making things a whole lot easier on the knees.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #41 on: 12:57:29, 01/02/18 »
Here's my provisional packing list for the SWCP and maybe LEJOG too, if it all works out. I've bought alternative, lighter items and cut out a fair bit of stuff - any suggestions for how I can further reduce it?
Apologies, the tabular list doesn't currently work on mobile devices - well, on my android, at least.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy