Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 276227 times)

GnP

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #855 on: 21:11:34, 17/09/19 »
I went a walk from Arundel via the tiny village of South Stoke today, taking in a stretch of the river Arun and then Swanbourne Lake and a beautiful valley in the South Downs.  A scenic and varied walk, with pastoral riverside meadows, enfolding hills, and hanger woodlands with masses of ferns. The countryside around Arundel is one of my favourite areas for walking.  Warm and sunny   :)
Sounds like a dream...super description
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #856 on: 21:21:11, 17/09/19 »
Sounds like a dream...super description

Thank you    :)   It's a beautiful area

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #857 on: 22:49:56, 17/09/19 »
We have reduced our mileage for each walk and increased the number of walks per week to compensate.  Discovered Horner Woods at the back of Porlock today.  An ancient oak woodland with tree covered steep sided stream filled valleys and open heath over the tops with views across to Wales one way and up to Dunkery Beacon the other.  Gorgeous half day walk - added it to my list of go back to places.  Blackdown Hills planned for Thursday.  Beats working  :)
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #858 on: 23:24:38, 17/09/19 »
We have reduced our mileage for each walk and increased the number of walks per week to compensate.  Discovered Horner Woods at the back of Porlock today.  An ancient oak woodland with tree covered steep sided stream filled valleys and open heath over the tops with views across to Wales one way and up to Dunkery Beacon the other.  Gorgeous half day walk - added it to my list of go back to places.  Blackdown Hills planned for Thursday.  Beats working  :)
Sounds wonderful.  Enjoy. O0

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #859 on: 08:17:57, 19/09/19 »
Today is the last day of six exploring Dartmoor.  Wonderful walking and very very lucky with the weather.  Dogs are dog tired each night.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #860 on: 14:43:16, 19/09/19 »
Made it to the Blackdown Hills today.  Great circular walk from the Wellington Monument out and round Culmstock Beacon.  There were big flocks of House Martins using the heath and pools as a refuelling stop.  They seemed to have selected a birch tree as some form of main operating base though they did not appear to perch in it, nor did there seem to be any insect swarms there.

Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #861 on: 21:17:41, 20/09/19 »
I have driven past that monument so many times heading for meetings in Bristol.  One day I really should take a walk up there. 

This working lark has it's drawbacks.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #862 on: 21:47:43, 20/09/19 »
Fantastic day here in Orkney so went for a long walk around the southern half of South Ronaldsay. Wall to wall sunshine, light winds, visibility 60 miles at least (think that I could see Foinaven), just perfect.
Knackered now, probably won't be doing the Parkrun tomorrow.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #863 on: 22:30:18, 20/09/19 »
Just returned from a superb weeks holiday on Mull, unfortunately the weather was not brilliant like it has been further south, but during the trip down to Iona on the tour bus, we all sighted a Sea Eagle off in the distance.
It was quite a way off in the distance, but the wingspan was so large, that it was a most impressive sight, but far too far for a picture opportunity.

I did not realise that Mull has an elusive Munroe in the shape of Ben More, it looked a fairly straight forward climb, but quite a long walk in to start the climb.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #864 on: 23:08:45, 20/09/19 »
Sea Eagles are certainly impressive. I have been fortunate to see a number over the years including a pair and 2 chicks around Loch Shieldaig, on Applecross peninsula, Rona and the Shiants. The are bigger and look grumpier than Golden Eagles.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #865 on: 12:23:55, 21/09/19 »
I just loved Mull, and even though getting around without your own transport would not be easy, as distances are quite large, it was the contrast between the Noth and South of the island that was impressive.

The landscape approaching Tobermorey was nowhere near as mountainous as the South, on the journey to Iona.

Accommodation was a bit sparse, but just about all the main summits particularly Ben More looked pretty accessable.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #866 on: 14:55:13, 21/09/19 »
I have only been to Mull once.  I don't have fond memories.  It was the summer of '76 when the UK was suffering a heatwave and drought.  Our accommodation was crawling with fleas and it rained every day.  Eventually we cut our losses, went home to Gosport and then caught the ferry to France.
Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #867 on: 21:16:05, 22/09/19 »
Was hoping to walk in the hills to the east of Cullompton in East Devon as it is not too far to go.  However, it looks like it’s going to be a wet week in the SW. Two weather warnings for rain.  Not sure that we can squeeze it in, looking for a half day weather window.

Edit: just looked again. Only one warning now. Still looks cack though.
« Last Edit: 21:20:41, 22/09/19 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #868 on: 04:28:56, 24/09/19 »
Last week, Tuesday to Saturday, I was walking on the Anglesey coast path O0
The weather was glorious, very warm & sunny every day. 8)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

SloMo

« Reply #869 on: 17:23:03, 26/09/19 »
I am in Crianlarich for a couple of days next week. Ben More, Stob Binnein, Cruach Ardrain. Cheap hotel in Glasgow and then drive up and back each day.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy