Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 278511 times)

watershed

Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #1095 on: 17:13:34, 03/04/20 »
On Wednesday I walked a couple of miles around the town with my wife. You are dodging "New walkers" walking on either side of the road, as you go. Most manage to keep a 2 metre plus distance, but at narrower paths it is a bit tight.

Today I drove up to Northmavine and walked just over 7 miles in the snow over and around Ronas Hill from Collafirth Hill, 1443 feet ascent. There was no one else there to dodge.
 I saw 2 Hares (Still white) my second Bonxie of the year, snipe, Lapwings, a Shetland Wren, Golden Plover and the usual gulls and Ravens.
Excellent!

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1096 on: 18:49:22, 03/04/20 »
Having been grounded by my wife for two days to allow my right shin to heal (although I did 32,000 steps on the treadmill, which I think helped!), I did a 15.3 mile local walk this morning and, since I took one photo, I might as well use it!

I'd come across the hill in the distance from left to right and along lanes to this point where, looking back, I noticed the blossom was out on what I think are cherry trees (there are lots of orchards in the area, but these were the only trees in blossom):

Regarding 'new walkers'... How true that their choice of road side appears entirely random. Like most walkers, I walk on the right, unless my visibility is improved by switching sides. I do that on single lane roads too, because it's a good habit and, because no matter how often I check behind me, a cyclist might zoom past and I'd like them to have room whether I'm aware of them or not.

So it's moderately irritating to be on the 'right' side of the road but have to cross to the 'wrong' side in order to go around the new walker! (I've also taken to switching sides when I see a cyclist approaching because I can't trust them to give me the distance I want.)

Oh, and the shin was fine!  :)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1097 on: 20:11:39, 03/04/20 »
Round here it does not really matter which side I walk, most of the lanes are only one car wide so my back will be towards half the traffic anyway.  I go for the side that gives me the best chance of being seen.  If there is room for traffic in both directions at the same time, the road is treated as a motorway, with speeds to match, and are best avoided in normal circumstances.  For a while these roads were deserted as they are only used by local traffic but today it seemed everyone thought they were the only thing moving and seemed to be going even faster.
You are the third person from Devon that has said about walking on the side that gives the best view.
We had a case of a couple killed down here, if they had been facing the traffic, they would have seen their friend's idiot son driving towards them, and got onto the verge.
Two lives and one 3 year prison sentence, would have been a shorter sentence but he blamed his mate, probably while he sobered up).
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1098 on: 20:34:47, 03/04/20 »
Verges are a luxury we don't often have in the narrow lanes.  If we did they would be wider.  Normally the edge is a straight up bank for 2 to 3 ft surmounted by a hedge.  When I drive along them, the most used button is the one that folds in the mirrors.
I took my daughter along the "main" road to Crediton once.  Her eyeballs were on stalks for a fair part of the trip, and she lives in Cornwall!  The worst hazard is the tractor and trailer being driven by a teenager at excessive speed .  They usually manage to stop somewhere between your headlights and the windscreen as the gradient up your bonnet defeats them.
Solvitur Ambulando

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1099 on: 09:25:16, 06/04/20 »
I will be doing a 15 mile loop From a lay-by north of Lloyney, onto Beacon Hill & just east of the Black Mountain. The views are splendid and the air is fresh.This is the time of year when new growth and spring lambs abound that spirits rise.
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1100 on: 15:09:27, 06/04/20 »
I will be doing a 15 mile loop From a lay-by north of Lloyney, onto Beacon Hill & just east of the Black Mountain. The views are splendid and the air is fresh.This is the time of year when new growth and spring lambs abound that spirits rise.

Enjoy.  I worked out a route to the nearest open moor from our house the other day and it's a 21 mile walk.  Then there is the actual walk on the moors to do.  If I'm feeling fit next weekend I might just go for it.  Though with so much lane walking I have yet to convince myself it's a good idea.

Edit:

Ok so an hour of plotting and I have a 33 mile route with about a mile of assents that takes me from home to the top of Killmar tor, via several of my other favourites on Bodmin moor.  As it's mostly an out and back I can dump a stash of water at 1/3 distance and pick it up on the way back.  I need to try a longer road walk to check the foot ware out, but I think I have myself a challenge for a few weekends time.  That would be my longest day walk since the 1980's.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1101 on: 16:00:45, 06/04/20 »
And this is minimising the time spent outdoors how exactly?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=IcMxaMaiRXM&feature=emb_logo

Or are you just trolling?
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1102 on: 17:12:17, 06/04/20 »
Far from wanting to start an argument,I will let you decide.  In the mean time a related question. What is the difference between walking around the block and meeting no one and walking 33 miles and meeting no one?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1103 on: 17:25:55, 06/04/20 »
Ask yourself 2 questions:  Under the current climate, why do you think are you likely to meet no-one?  Why are you the one that has to be special?

Then explain why is is alright for you to break the rules to the the Chief Constable (see video I referenced) then to this mother https://www.devonlive.com/news/seven-month-old-baby-diagnosed-4023375 and then to the relatives of the people who have died in Plymouth.
Solvitur Ambulando

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1104 on: 17:31:58, 06/04/20 »
That would be my longest day walk since the 1980's.
Exactly why in view of the current situation do you feel the need to do your longest walk since the 1980s?  :-[

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1105 on: 17:53:07, 06/04/20 »
Exactly why in view of the current situation do you feel the need to do your longest walk since the 1980s?  :-[

That one can be answered simply for the sake of a hypothetical discussion. Waking on roads is far quicker than walking across open moorland.  The time taken and effort required would likely be less than a 20 mile walk across the moor.  Which for a many a regular walker is a very normal days exercise.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1106 on: 18:08:28, 06/04/20 »
Sorry I think you are trying to defend the indefensible.  Right now, it can wait.  You do not need to do it.  There is a piece on the local news right now about nurses being told to write their wills.  We need to pull together to protect them.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1107 on: 18:16:16, 06/04/20 »
Ask yourself 2 questions:  Under the current climate, why do you think are you likely to meet no-one?  Why are you the one that has to be special?

Then explain why is is alright for you to break the rules to the the Chief Constable (see video I referenced) then to this mother https://www.devonlive.com/news/seven-month-old-baby-diagnosed-4023375 and then to the relatives of the people who have died in Plymouth.

You mist the point of my question, though I feel sure you understood it. That being the distance in that instance is irrelevant.

The second plain fact is the closer you walk to town. The more people you are likely to encounter in the present circumstances.  During normal times all those fine people would be sweating it out down the gym.  Right now they are wheezing coughing and spluttering their way around the local foot paths gates and styles close to towns. 

Compared to driving down the road to Tesco for a shop or even walking to the local Spar and buy that none essential bottle off wine in with the essentials.  The act of walking what for me would be a fairy normal walk is a safer option, for myself, for those I live with and for those in the greater community. Nothing special about that.

I am listing to the counter arguments though, this is still merely hypothetical debate.

watershed

« Reply #1108 on: 18:42:05, 06/04/20 »
Far from wanting to start an argument,I will let you decide.  In the mean time a related question. What is the difference between walking around the block and meeting no one and walking 33 miles and meeting no one?

Why don't you take the car
That doesn't sound a long drive.
As long as you keep your distance from other people you will be within guide lines
Is it a walk that you know is quiet, And you can park without causing local problems.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1109 on: 19:02:57, 06/04/20 »
Why don't you take the car?
That doesn't sound a long drive.
As long as you keep your distance from other people you will be within guide lines
Because inessential travel is not allowed
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy