Author Topic: TR High Seat, Bleaberry Fell and Walla Crag Sat 23 to Sun 24 Mar 19  (Read 2994 times)

April

• Veteran Member
It was touch and go whether I would get out walking or not on Saturday. On Friday I'd tried to lift/push the dustbin with my left leg to get my recycling box and pulled something on the back of it. We had been invited to go walking near Twice Brewed with Karl and Sue over the weekend and we were going to go wild camping Saturday night and walk either Saturday or Sunday with them. We didn't want to spoil their trip if I turned up and couldn't walk very far so it was best we didn't go to meet them  :( On Saturday my leg was still hurting but we got the later bus into the Lake District ready to turn around if I couldn't walk far. We'd still taken the wild camping gear with us that was already packed. We walked along the shore path at Derwent Water to test my leg. The weather wasn't bad, not much wind and we had a few sunny spells. Past Cat Gill we stopped for our lunch and decision time. Was I able to carry on or should we go home? My leg was hurting a bit but not as bad as it had been on Friday night. We decided to carry on up to Ashness Bridge and onto Dodd and High Seat.

Smoke below Kings How

Squeaky next to the Bob Graham memorial on the way up to Ashness Bridge

Beefy and Squeaky on the way up from Ashness

Some views from the climb up to Dodd

On Dodd summit

This is the Ashness Fell Dodd, not the Skiddaw Dodd

Beefy asked how my leg was, not bad was the answer. It was odd my leg actually hurt more on the flat bits than it did on the climb up. We carried on toward High Seat.

The view west from the path to High Seat

Beefy and Squeaky on High Seat

It was quite blustery up at this height and really cold in the wind. We'd been looking for possible spots to pitch on the way and there were a few about but they had been in the wind.

We went onto Man and looked about there

Too windy here too but we found a spot out of the wind by dropping down on the eastern side of the fell. We got some water to filter from a tarn nearby and put the tent up. It was 4pm and there was nobody about.

The MSR on the eastern side of High Seat

We had our tea and rested our bodies. I have a few sore things on my body at the moment, not just the back of my left leg, my left knee is also hurting me when I kneel down on it, my right elbow is also stiff and sore and it hurts when I try to lift anything with my right hand. I struggled with pouring the hot water from the pot we use when we are camping. I need a new body I think  :(

We had some wine and I hobbled up to the skyline (Beefy was feeling lazy) to see if the sunset was any good. The sun had gone down without being seen as it was cloudy. There was a bit of a pink tint but not very distinct, not worth the effort of the climb up or worth staying any longer.

Looking north toward Skiddaw from Man

I descended toward the tent to report no sunset but had a look back before I reached it. I saw red  :o So I hobbled back up to the ridge and onto Man.

The sunset was rather good after all

Too late to go back to Beefy to tell him or both of us would have missed it.

A few more shots of the sunset

I was wondering how many sunsets we might have missed by not being patient and getting back inside the tent too early. These colours didn't appear until 10 minutes after the sun had gone down.

I got back to the tent and we poured more wine and we looked at the sunset pics. It was really peaceful and quiet where we were, no wind noise, no noise at all. We really enjoyed the camp, it was great to be back out.

We slept well overnight but the wind had changed a bit and it was buffeting the tent a bit by dawn. We had some breakfast and a couple of brews before packing the gear away.

Squeaky emerging from her sleeping bag

We were away by 8.30 and we were off to Bleaberry Fell first, then Walla Crag and back to Keswick.

View toward Catbells from the path to Bleaberry Fell

Looking back at High Seat

Beefy and Squeaky on the way to Bleaberry Fell

My leg was feeling ok, still sore but no worse than it had been thank goodness. The wind was much worse though, much stronger and it was driving me mad  :tickedoff: Trying to keep my hair in my hood was proving hard to do.

High Rigg lit up by the sun

Beefy and Squeaky on Bleaberry Fell summit

The view to the west from Bleaberry Fell

On the way down Bleaberry Fell

View from Walla Crag

Beefy and Squeaky on Walla Crag summit

We stopped for a brew and some food well away from the summit and the path hoping to get out of the wind but it was swirling about and we didn't stop for long. We got back to Keswick in time for the bus at 1.30 but not enough time to go to Mrs F's for cake  :( We had an apple from Booths instead  :angel:
It was a good wild camp and I'm relieved my leg was okish. Day1 was Keswick - Derwent Water shore path - Ashness - Ashness Bridge - Dodd - High Seat - Man - pitch below. 9.25km with 607m ascent. Day 2 was Pitch - Bleaberry Fell - Walla Crag - Springs Wood - Castlehead Wood - Derwent Water at Strandshag Bay - Keswick. 10.9km with 154m ascent
« Last Edit: 19:22:27, 27/03/19 by April »
Hate will never win

henryb

• Veteran Member
Great report and photos April, brings back memories of one of my first Lakeland walks O0  That view of Derwent water from Walla crag is one of my favourite aerial views :)

beefy

• Veteran Member
Great pics Ape O0
Was a good wild camp,
Fancy another this weekend? ;D
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

phil1960

• Veteran Member
Another great TR and pics, not a bit narcissistic  ;D
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
Great outing and pics. It's always cheering to get a good sunrise/sunset and the occasional struggle to get there is well worth it - we sometimes suffer a little for our art!.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Lovely pics and report April, hope your leg is OK now.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Super photos April     :)    Thanks for sharing them!   :)    Love the pic of Squeaky in her sleeping bag   

Hope your leg is better soon

richardh1905

• Veteran Member

Some lovely photos there, April.

And looks as if you found an excellent pitch!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
Thanks Henry  :)

Thanks beefy, wild camp ruckie already packed for weekend  O0

Another great TR and pics, not a bit narcissistic  ;D

:) Thanks phil

It's always cheering to get a good sunrise/sunset and the occasional struggle to get there is well worth it

It was worth it  :)

Thanks Ridge, my left leg is fine now  :)

Love the pic of Squeaky in her sleeping bag   

Thanks Dovegirl   :)

looks as if you found an excellent pitch!

It was slightly sloping but dry and out of the wind. We did think we might struggle to find a dry pitch in that area especially since it's been rather wet lately. There was a lot of boggy wet areas but there were dry spots about  :)
Hate will never win

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Good stuff April but when I tap on your photos to see them bigger it takes me to "about:blank#blocked" (instead of showing them bigger). Is it supposed to do that?

adalard

• Veteran Member
Very enjoyable TR, as usual, April - some great long distance pictures of the fells... But I think that one of Squeaky peeping from her sleeping bag wins first prize, what a lovely face!  :)

Glad your leg problem didn't mar the weekend too much.  O0

April

• Veteran Member
Good stuff April but when I tap on your photos to see them bigger it takes me to "about:blank#blocked" (instead of showing them bigger). Is it supposed to do that?

Thanks Rob  :)

I don't know if anyone's pics on here enlarge when you click them?  :-\

I think that one of Squeaky peeping from her sleeping bag wins first prize, what a lovely face!  :)

Thanks adalard, Squeaky is lovely  :)
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Lovely stuff April - love the picture of Squeaky in her bag!  Love the sunsets, the clours are fantastic.

April

• Veteran Member
Thanks pdstsp  O0
Hate will never win

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
Remember doing this route (the other way around) starting at 6am in the morning from Keswick and bombing down the whole range in the snow in December.  Loved it, but you're spot on about the wind being intense up there at times. 

Sunsets were sublime and I'm itching to get out in the fells for a few of those this year!  Good tr!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy