Author Topic: Summer "Spine" race  (Read 5587 times)

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Summer "Spine" race
« on: 10:18:26, 24/06/17 »
For those of you who follow the winter one, the new summer versions have started this morning. 
http://live.opentracking.co.uk/spinefusion17/
And as an added bonus, Pavel Paloncey is attempting to beat the fastest known time for the Pennine way.  (he was originally going to attempt this last summer when we were walking it, but he had to pull out due to illness).

tonyk

• Veteran Member
Re: Summer "Spine" race
« Reply #1 on: 10:53:02, 24/06/17 »
 Thanks for that.I wasn't aware that Pavel was running so it should certainly make things more interesting.Time to watch out for is the half way point at High Birk hat.Cudahy,when he became the first person to break 3 days in 1984,reached this point in around 35 hours.Its going to be a tall order breaking Mike Hartley's 1988 record,2 days 17 hours,but Pavel seems to be going some and should reach the marathon point at Standedge (26 miles) in under 3 hours. :o

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:39:48, 24/06/17 »
Did Pavel miss out the Hebden checkpoint? His tracking suggests so  :-\
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:54:23, 24/06/17 »
Did Pavel miss out the Hebden checkpoint? His tracking suggests so  :-\

He is making his record attempt alongside this new race.His main objective is to break the PW record and the race diversion to CP1 isn't part of the PW.Apparently he started 3 hours ahead of the field so he didn't run a sub three hour marathon on the first leg. ;)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:56:33, 24/06/17 »
Was just thinking after I posted that detours to checkpoints aren't on the PW so why detour if you want to beat the record?

So, he's not actually in the race then? I had wondered why he was so far ahead so soon  :D

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:28:26, 24/06/17 »
 Pav is near Horton,92 miles in 18.5 hrs. If he keeps this pace up he should be home in around 2 days 5 hours and knock 12 hours off the record.Well at least in theory......

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:33:21, 25/06/17 »
 Pav has reached the halfway point in a few minutes over 30hrs.Cudahy,the only person who has gone N-S in under 3 days,reached this point in 35 hours and increased his pace during the second half of the run.He has got to finish at approx 22.30hrs Monday evening to break the record.Provided he dosen't hit trouble he should finish well inside Mike Hartley's time.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:25:03, 25/06/17 »
Just checked Pavel's progress and he's currently between Low and High Force.  We took about 11 days to walk there,amazing to think someone can get that far in under 2! Which brings me round to something I was wondering. Why is he attempting the record at a weekend? Surely it would be less busy during the week? Won't there be lots of Sunday afternoon walkers out there and/ or ramblers groups? Especially if the weather is ok. I know we have sometimes caught a group of slow walkers up and they seem to take some time to realise you would actually like to pass them, that could add vital minutes to the record attempt. I see he was going up Pen y Ghent at night so at least he avoided the 3 peaks hordes!

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:54:48, 25/06/17 »
 I should imagine the weekend was the best time to start as more pacers and helpers are available.It also conicided with the start of the Fission race and would allow more publicity for his sponsors.

Other walkers shouldn't be a problem,other than in Teesdale and parts of Hadrian's Wall.

His time is very impressive,far better than I expected,and if he keeps going at this pace he might beat the record.Still a long way to go though and Joss Naylor slowed during the final 10 miles on his N-S attempt in 1973 and failed to break the three day barrier.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:06:56, 25/06/17 »
Pav seems slow on the approach to Knock Old Man, it's quite a slog up there so I guess he's taking it easy, but hope that's all it is.
Where there's a will ...

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:29:09, 25/06/17 »
Pav seems slow on the approach to Knock Old Man, it's quite a slog up there so I guess he's taking it easy, but hope that's all it is.

He's probably just getting excited by now about the Corpse Road down to Garrigill coming up, probably in the dark  :D

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:56:03, 25/06/17 »
You're probably right  ;D
Where there's a will ...

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 23:21:22, 25/06/17 »
 Near Gregs Hut now.Probably a couple of hours away from Alston and might even reach the 200 mile point inside of 48 hours.He has got to average over 4.4 mph to break the record.Looks like things are starting to slip away as he is .07 mph behind Mike's schedule.

It was nice to see Mike Hartley (the current record holder) come out on the course to wish Pavel luck. O0
« Last Edit: 23:43:12, 25/06/17 by tonyk »

forest view

« Reply #13 on: 05:01:46, 26/06/17 »
Exactly 2 days and nights and still ploughing on.
www.forestviewbyrness.co.uk 
# 1 place to stay in Byrness (Tripadvisor)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 07:21:49, 26/06/17 »
Weather forecast not looking too good ... Going to be wet!
Where there's a will ...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy