Author Topic: Which cameras do you take into he hills walking  (Read 4260 times)

GnP

• Veteran Member
Re: Which cameras do you take into he hills walking
« Reply #15 on: 08:59:46, 23/09/19 »

Resting my pulled calf.  As soon as it stops pulling I will be too busy walking to stop for pics.  Hopefully the sun will be back too.
Good luck & it`s cooling down here in the Midlands, but hopefully we can have a winter that is kind to us. I enjoy sunshine and if its cold and frosty then all the better to keep a brisk pace up..
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 12:34:38, 23/09/19 »
There are some subjects that I read about which I know nothing about, cameras especially, zooms, pixels, long lens, compacts, etc. I have a camera on my phone but looking back the last time I owned a camera must be at least 30 years ago, I think it was called an Instamatic. I enjoy reading the entries though. My daughter in law, a graphic designer seems to have a different camera for different occasions, totally confuses me.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 04:18:07, 24/09/19 »
I’ve just been on holiday & for the first time, I used an iPhone to take the majority of my photos. I was more than satisfied with the results, although it was more about the convenience of being able to post photos to Facebook at the end of each day than anything else.

***Happiness is only a smile away***

Lee R

« Reply #18 on: 14:52:43, 05/10/19 »
A Sony A7 & a Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 usually. I sometimes carry a wider 21mm lens but only because it weighs next to nothing :)

david156

« Reply #19 on: 09:45:58, 06/10/19 »
If I'm out where I know there will be good wildlife / landscape photo opportunities, I'll take my canon 7dmkii and a couple of lenses but this is heavy for long walks.
I was in the peaks a few days ago and as the weather was a bit iffy at times I took my older camera, canon 50d, and a landscape lens.
After this week, I'll either just use my phone or a Nikon S1 which I've had years but is light and produces good photos and cuts down the weight making longer walks more comfortable as less to carry!

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 10:19:07, 06/10/19 »
If I'm out where I know there will be good wildlife / landscape photo opportunities, I'll take my canon 7dmkii and a couple of lenses but this is heavy for long walks.
I was in the peaks a few days ago and as the weather was a bit iffy at times I took my older camera, canon 50d, and a landscape lens.
After this week, I'll either just use my phone or a Nikon S1 which I've had years but is light and produces good photos and cuts down the weight making longer walks more comfortable as less to carry!
The 7D mkii is heavy with longer lenses. I have managed 8 miles on the flat with mine, a battery grip, long lens (3kg) and monopod attached. That was when I was expecting a lot of wildlife. The advantages with a monopod are multiple ways of carrying the kit and plenty of stops for animals / birds with the weight supported. It can also help keep the camera on target and allow lower shutter speeds.

andybr

« Reply #21 on: 11:57:05, 06/10/19 »
Wildlife is also a big consideration for me. My compromise is a Lumix G80 with 12/60mm and 100/300mm lenses. I can carry these all day quite comfortably though I don't take a tripod.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 12:33:01, 06/10/19 »
A tripod while walking would be a step too far for me - too bulky and heavy. The monopod is lighter and enables me to carry the camera / lens over my shoulder and still get some support for shooting.

Lee R

« Reply #23 on: 14:54:30, 06/10/19 »
A tripod while walking would be a step too far for me - too bulky and heavy. The monopod is lighter and enables me to carry the camera / lens over my shoulder and still get some support for shooting.

My tripod is 2.5kg! I've had it about 9 years way before i was into this hiking lark! It's currently on my list of items to replace before next year....

andybr

« Reply #24 on: 16:45:29, 06/10/19 »
For stills on a long walk I just use a bean bag and whatever convenient support I can find. For video, though, I always carry a tripod. In this case I have an original model Osprey Atmos pack which is perfect for carrying a fairly large lump of metal. The frame spreads the weight so well that I do not even notice that the tripod is suspended on one side.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 19:13:17, 06/10/19 »

My tripod is 2.5kg! I've had it about 9 years way before i was into this hiking lark! It's currently on my list of items to replace before next year....
I don’t remember the weight of my tripod, but it is carbon fibre with large diameter tubes. The tripod head is heavy and the Wimberley Sidekick adds more weight.

Lee R

« Reply #26 on: 19:31:06, 06/10/19 »
I don’t remember the weight of my tripod, but it is carbon fibre with large diameter tubes. The tripod head is heavy and the Wimberley Sidekick adds more weight.

Could well be heavier than mine then! I only know my weight because I weighed it last weekend at last! No point researching for a lighter tripod if I don't know what weight to beat  ::) ;D

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 19:41:11, 06/10/19 »

Could well be heavier than mine then! I only know my weight because I weighed it last weekend at last! No point researching for a lighter tripod if I don't know what weight to beat  ::) ;D
Lighter is normally more expensive (or weaker). The type of tripod you need depends upon the weight of the camera kit and the length of the lens. Longer lenses catch the wind more and need more torsional rigidity to prevent movement. Don’t pay any attention to manufacturer claims about weight capacity, as there is no standard for the claims. The tripod needs to be able to support the rig without bending, twisting or vibrating. Ideally you should go for the best (for your specs) you can afford, as buying cheap often means buying more than once. The most stable tripods don’t use a central column. Don’t forget the tripod head. That also impacts the weight and affects how stable the camera will be and how easy it will be to use in the field.

Lee R

« Reply #28 on: 20:59:15, 06/10/19 »
Lighter is normally more expensive (or weaker). The type of tripod you need depends upon the weight of the camera kit and the length of the lens. Longer lenses catch the wind more and need more torsional rigidity to prevent movement. Don’t pay any attention to manufacturer claims about weight capacity, as there is no standard for the claims. The tripod needs to be able to support the rig without bending, twisting or vibrating. Ideally you should go for the best (for your specs) you can afford, as buying cheap often means buying more than once. The most stable tripods don’t use a central column. Don’t forget the tripod head. That also impacts the weight and affects how stable the camera will be and how easy it will be to use in the field.

9 years ago I was shooting with a 5D2 and L lenses. I don't need to support such weight anymore  ;)  My current one has been up mountains, in rivers, in the sea, thrown over walls... Lasted very well considering.

JerryW

« Reply #29 on: 16:48:27, 07/10/19 »
The camera on my Samsung S10+ is better than the camera on my camera .. I have given up and just use the phone now, it is extraordinary what you can do with it, given a bit of homework. Surprisingly sophisticated
I love the outdoors, and will be out there, while I can :-)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy