Author Topic: Insoles - Again!!  (Read 788 times)

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
Insoles - Again!!
« on: 19:55:48, 14/08/17 »
Saw a Podiatrist on Thursday who told me that I had Metatarsalgia in the left foot. They want me back in a few weeks but I'm not certain what they want to do with me.  ???

Went for a walk yesterday and now wished that I hadn't. After 2 1/2 miles I turned around and shuffled back walking like Donald Duck.

From what I've read Sorbothane Double Strike insoles may well be the answer unless anyone has a better idea. I've booked a weeks walking in the Lakes for mid Sept. At present I'm thinking of seeing how I go with new insoles. If OK then I'll still go. If not I'll cancel till next year.

Am I thinking on the right lines? Could anyone provide advice please.

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Insoles - Again!!
« Reply #1 on: 19:22:26, 15/08/17 »
I think, initially, rest is the best treatment - to give any internal inflammation chance to subside.

Some useful info here if you haven't already read up on it:

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/metatarsalgia/Pages/Introduction.aspx#causes

Maybe look into the properties of the different types of insoles available and go for the one that gives the most cushioning at the front of the foot.

dellwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 00:02:25, 16/08/17 »

Had similar problem 4 years ago. Sorbothane
didn't work at all for me. My podiatrist sells me Xline insoles at £25 a time. They help hold your feet in the correct position. Went from hardly being able to walk to having no feet problem at all. Some podiatrists will try and rip you off with expensive unnecessary bespoke insoles. Try Xline first. Good Luck.

PS Just googled Xline insoles and you can buy them on Amazon. Xlarge is size 10/11. My podiatrist did a computerised pressure test on my feet to see if I needed to use any of the wedges. I have one on the left insole. I must have at least 10 pairs on these insoles as I have them in every shoe and boot etc. Cost me a bit but what price being able to hike for miles with no problem whatsoever.

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:54:58, 16/08/17 »
Thanks for the replies Mel and Dellwalker.

A bit of research showed the Sorbothane double Strike to be best for the condition but I've now ordered Xline as well to see which suits best. Yep, I know I should have rested but the Podiatrist said wear hard soled footwear like walking boots,, so orf i went. Only made things worse!!  :( :(  Can't really understand it as less than two weeks ago I did a 7 mile walk over really rough ground without any problems.
Perhaps that triggered the problem.

Oh well, the body has reached it's seven score and ten design life. Now got wretched cataracts as well (thought the font on OS maps was getting smaller) It's all downhill from here I guess.  ;D ;D

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:58:15, 16/08/17 »
Sorbothane is for shock absorption and reducing the effect of impacts, thus more useful for runners where the impacts are much larger than walking. In footwear look for good cushioning under the forefoot - not easy to judge even in the shop.

I'm not sure how much it would help your particular condition, but for walking insoles generally, the best I've ever seen off-the-shelf are the new Superfeet Trailblazers that I'm using at the moment. They have the very important firm well-cupped heel to maintain natural foot stability and give additional cushioning under the forefoot as well. I've never tried XLine.

the body has reached it's seven score and ten design life

Erm, three score and ten?.

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:28:53, 16/08/17 »
Erm, three score and ten?.

Don't think I've woken up yet today.  :-[ :-[  seven score - not yet.

But thanks for the advice.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy