Author Topic: Personal motivation  (Read 1918 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Personal motivation
« on: 10:46:51, 15/11/19 »
I'm sure it's partly due to my age but at this time of the year, when it's often dark and miserable, I often find it a bit difficult to motivate myself to get out and about. Like this morning, for example, my wife is out, I know I'm going out but I'm also putting it off as well. Its so much easier to sit in front of my PC in the warm and have another coffee and this time with a custard tart as well. That's what I have just done. To motivate myself now I will have to put on my running gear because I know that once done I will actually leave.

I've discussed the subject of personal motivation with my wife a few times. Her agreed job is, if I whine too much about "its cold," "it's wet" "I'm not in the mood" etc, she will 'persuade' me to go! It works and I always feel appreciative once I know I've done my thing for the day! In her case she manages motivation in a different way, her life is about meeting up with friends for coffee, etc and visiting each other during the day (is this a female thing?) whereas I find that difficult to do, men that I know just don’t go in for this kind of routine. When I do it, my socializing tends to be in the evening and it usually ends up with me in the pub and drinking alcohol.

I had no trouble motivating myself to drive to the Lakes for Remembrance Sunday and climb to the top of Great Gable because I had a purpose that day, rather than just wanting to go for a walk. I've also learned that once I book a train or a plane that is enough to make my commitment to my planned hike. If I dither or make excuses thats when my wife comes into the motivation subject again, she will book it for me!

Do you have motivation problems about hiking? Do you have your own system or routine to overcome personal inertia? Do you have have this problem?

pleb

• Veteran Member
Re: Personal motivation
« Reply #1 on: 10:53:57, 15/11/19 »
No. If I want to go for a walk and have chance I do, if I dont want to go then I dont go. Simples!
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Pitboot

« Reply #2 on: 11:08:24, 15/11/19 »
I go out when I can because life is too short. And there is always some t**t who wants to ruin your day. Out on the hills I feel alive and free of vexatious human interaction.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:14:11, 15/11/19 »
Lets put it this way, and sorry to be so blunt about it.
There will come a time, that due to age and possibly infirmity, that you will not be able to go out for a walk in cold and miserable conditions.

Once your out and about, properly attired for the weather outside, you thank yourself for having that will power to venture outdoors.

It may be cold and miserable, but as they say, there is no such thing as bad weather, its all down to wearing the correct clothing.

Just think about those poor unfortunate people who are homeless, and have to sleep out in these conditions.

There will come a time that all of us will not be able to be as active as we once were.

Just keep that in your mind, and count your blessings that you have sufficient health to go out walking.

Spare a thought for those poor people in Yorkshire, whose homes have been flooded and destroyed, what Christmas have they to look forward to.

These are the motivational tools i constantly think about, when the weather is as it is, this time of year.

Tomorrow i am (FINGER CROSSED) attempting the Gerlan to Yr Aryg route in the Carneddau.

Ive had all week to do the walk, but the weather has been dire, very heavy rain and strong winds, but i am physically in good shape, and can do the walk.

There are probably thousands of similarly minded people who would love to be able to do the walk, but their health will not allow it.

Go for it, as once your outside in the countryside this time of year, you can experience nature at its bleakest time.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:21:02, 15/11/19 »
I don't have a problem with lack of motivation, I just feel there's so much I still want to do but I have a sense of time running out. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to waist all my time putting money into someone else's pocket.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:51:37, 15/11/19 »
Never had any really "hard core" motivational problems in regard to walking...basically I do it because I enjoy it a lot.

But my motivation has certainly altered over the years, and from time to time I have needed "tricks" to get me out of periods of relative apathy.

In early days of walking I was very driven by desire to get to point where I could get to point where I could do a good number of 6 to 8 mile walks on my own...without being dependent on other people navigating for me. Once I'd achieved that I became motivated to walk longer distances.

Nowadays importance of just distance is fading, I think I get more enjoyment out of doing a new route...I tend to  feel happier if I do a brand new 6 miler than if I do a regular 12 miler I've done a few times before. (But yes...I do get some enjoyment from doing regular routes.)

In past I tended to buy relatively expensive kit, if I my walking motivation was low  ...knowing (tight git that I am) that I would fel a wee bit guilty if I didn't get out and use it. Nowadays I think my main motivational "trick" is the power of routine. Come Thursday I go out and do a 12 miler somewhere...come rain, snow, whatever...its Thursday so I go walking.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:21:01, 15/11/19 »
For me it's the weather. I'm itching to get out for a day walk, I have screencaps of the OS map all ready for the route I want to do, I have some sandwich meat in the fridge, and I was planning to do it this week.
But I went up to the shops on Monday to discover that winter has arrived, and I don't see the point in driving 20-25 miles to spend all day in low temperature and chilling wind, no matter how well wrapped-up I'll be.
Added to that I'm now starting a cold, maybe I picked up germs from a supermarket basket, the self checkout machine or perhaps from the pump and keypad when I went to buy petrol.
I'm going to wait until the temperature is in double figures, which will possibly be in the latter part of next week.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:32:11, 15/11/19 »
I'm not expecting temperatures in double figures up here for at least 3 months, time I moved south.Now I no longer have a dog demanding a walk I find that having a goal, like walking 1000 miles in the year actually helps quite a lot.  This year I am adding a target for metres uphill so that I don't just do the easy miles.When the weather is cold I do find it hard to pack up a sandwich and get out for the day though, especially on my own.  I do get in a bit of a rut of up the hill behind the house (which isn't very high) and then turn right or left and circle back home, 3 or 4 miles.  Or sitting at the computer writing stuff like this when I should be out.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 14:22:04, 15/11/19 »
I so much love being out walking that only heavy rain would keep me indoors.  In the winter, what with the dark evenings and wintry conditions, I rarely go right out into the countryside but I do a great deal of rural fringe and urban walking instead.

I would find it very depressing not to be out and about and I think it's so important to get out while one can.  Walking gives me such a sense of freedom and is a respite from stress.  Far from lacking motivation, I have a longing to be out there.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:29:13, 15/11/19 »
For me it's the weather. I'm itching to get out for a day walk, I have screencaps of the OS map all ready for the route I want to do, I have some sandwich meat in the fridge, and I was planning to do it this week.
But I went up to the shops on Monday to discover that winter has arrived, and I don't see the point in driving 20-25 miles to spend all day in low temperature and chilling wind, no matter how well wrapped-up I'll be.
Added to that I'm now starting a cold, maybe I picked up germs from a supermarket basket, the self checkout machine or perhaps from the pump and keypad when I went to buy petrol.
I'm going to wait until the temperature is in double figures, which will possibly be in the latter part of next week.

Sounds similar to my ethos at the moment.  I used to be out in all sorts of weather as that was the only time I had to do it - if it was pouring down, blowing a gale or in clag I'd still get out on the fells, squelch through bogs and use it as an opportunity to work on navigation - more type 2 fun really.

One thing which has actually fired my motivation back up lately has been recent injury.  As Dyffryn says, it gave me a window into the future and the fact that at some point I won't be able to do this any more, I'll just be gazing up at the peaks but my body won't carry me there any more.  I've had a list of various trips I've wanted to do for a while, but the trick is to keep lacing up your boots and getting out there.  Don't worry about being 'in the mood', you'll never be in the mood, just do it and often being 'in the mood' will follow your actions - especially with how important physical activity and sunlight is for the body in the winter months in particular.  Regarding shorter days - if you're confident in your hill craft and bring a head torch, walking back in the dusk isn't particularly problematic, either.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:41:02, 15/11/19 »
My motivation is based mainly on targets, of which I've many, but my most important one is annual mileage and from that I get monthly and weekly targets that I really want to meet. I like rain, but if for any reason I don't feel like a walk I get my gear on and get prepared and set off anyway - and I'm always glad I did.

I also aim to do at least one walk each week in an area I've not visited before. Once I've planned the walk and copied it to my gps, I can't wait to do it!

So the short answer is: My motivation comes from targets, routine and new routes.
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:59:18, 15/11/19 »
Gunwharfman wrote
I had no trouble motivating myself to drive to the Lakes for Remembrance Sunday and climb to the top of Great Gable because I had a purpose that day, rather than just wanting to go for a walk.
Treat each day as a training day and you will have the motivation to get out.Unless I have something to aim for such as a multiday  backpack,or in the past,a race,I have always found it hard to walk or run for the sake of it.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:23:15, 15/11/19 »
Thank you, really good to read all of your views.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 19:31:03, 15/11/19 »
I have no problem getting out for short, local walks but anything that involves planning?  Well, just lately I seem to need some sort of incentive; be that meeting up with someone or a group, or booking accommodation so I have committed myself or face losing money.

Actually having the time to dedicate to a "full day walk" is more of a problem just at the moment  :(

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:37:08, 15/11/19 »
Motivation has never really been a problem fir me... I really enjoy physical exercise. The weather plays no part  as I have always thought I may get wet for a few hours but at the end of it there’s a hot shower and dry clothes. I enjoy very windy weather when walking , I think it lets you know you are still alive and kicking ( at least for now)
It's all uphill from here.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy