Author Topic: Welsh 3000's Challenge (Failed attempt)  (Read 5187 times)

harry_keogh

Welsh 3000's Challenge (Failed attempt)
« on: 15:18:22, 25/06/19 »
I'd built this one up so much that I had no doubt I was going to complete it. Unfortunately it didn't go quite to plan thanks to some key mistakes such as having no sleep the night before, not eating enough, not drinking enough, and wasting time with unnecessary diversions. Lessons learnt and I'm aiming to do it in under 16 hours next year.

The Welsh 3000’S Challenge (Aborted)

Zizag

• Veteran Member
Re: Welsh 3000's Challenge (Failed attempt)
« Reply #1 on: 15:53:20, 25/06/19 »
Hello Harry .
You have my sympathy having failed .
At least you have been honest with your self .
 " There is always another time "
To have a Go and beat it next time .
It's an Ultra event .

it's Where you have to be Super fit.
And you need to address all your problems .
Apart from knackered knees and body , having to overcome the pain barrier .
The 3 key things to address
1 .  Drink more fluids .
Water , Hydration drinks etc , suggest  Hi-5 or SIS tablets ,powders .
And recovery protein powdered milk drinks .
2 Eat more food .
Plenty of Carbs & protein foods .
3 .
Sleep more .
It's all about Quality and relaxation .
Try relaxation tapes or Mp3 with all your favourite songs/music .
As for Sharpening and  honeing your body apart from All your long walks .
Try Short sharp cycles to Build up Quads and CO2 Max .
For recovery leisurely swimming .
You will achieve you goal .
Keep trying .
And very best wishes .
Zizag.

Davidedgarjones

« Reply #2 on: 16:21:23, 25/06/19 »
Thanks for sharing this with the Forum. I imagine that many would have kept quiet about the failed attempt. Live to fight another day!Dave

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:24:26, 26/06/19 »
Great write up - made me laugh and cringe a bit - love the outburst on Tryfan - exactly the sort of thing I'd do and then regret for days afterwards.  

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:21:53, 27/06/19 »
Great report. I am sorry that you couldn’t finish, but there is always another day and it is better to stop than have an issue on Crib Goch.

I too have failed on the 3000s in the opposite direction to you. It is difficult to eat enough particularly if you are starting very early and the body clock is thrown out of kilter. We started at 2am from Pen Y Pass after a quick snack. I initially hit a wall half way up Elidir Fawr, realising I was ascending my 4th summit of the day before breakfast. I recovered after wolfing down half the contents of my rucksack, but this episode affected my stamina. After completing Tryfan, we called it a day due to lack of confidence in being able to complete the Carneddau and my colleague’s severe blisters. If I can overcome my back and Achilles Tendon issues, I am planning another attempt next year, when I will be 57. This time I will be eating small amounts regularly throughout the day and carbo loading in advance. I don’t think the injuries will stop me on the day, but they may stop me getting fit enough to do the challenge

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 11:02:30, 27/06/19 »
Terrific report, detailed and very candid  O0
I find it difficult to eat on a really strenuous walk (in the past when I could do them!), it seemed like the more I ate the more sluggish I became, presumably because digestion consumes energy initially. I've heard from some climbers that carb loading with a really big unhealthy fry-up the day before produces good results, though not personally confirmed  :).

harry_keogh

« Reply #6 on: 17:42:43, 27/06/19 »
Terrific report, detailed and very candid  O0
I find it difficult to eat on a really strenuous walk (in the past when I could do them!), it seemed like the more I ate the more sluggish I became, presumably because digestion consumes energy initially. I've heard from some climbers that carb loading with a really big unhealthy fry-up the day before produces good results, though not personally confirmed  :) .
Doesn't help when you're on a strict ketogenic diet (have been for almost a year) and you get to the snack bar at ogwen cottage to find there's nothing you can eat :)
What I should have done was eaten a big meal with lots of fat calories before setting off. Instead I made the mistake of eating light on Thursday. When I completed it a few years ago, I had a humongous portion of fish and chips the evening before walking.

harry_keogh

« Reply #7 on: 17:50:22, 27/06/19 »
I initially hit a wall half way up Elidir Fawr, realising I was ascending my 4th summit of the day before breakfast.
I remember that bit well from completing it a few years ago. It's a horrible ascent! Seemed to go on forever.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:34:53, 27/06/19 »

An interesting account, harry - I failed on my first attempt - but it was February, and it was mid afternoon before I got to the Ogwen Valley. Some of my party did finish though, but blundering around on the Carneddau in the dark is not my idea of fun. Second time around I managed it -  but I was on my last legs descending from Foel Fras to the Eigiau car park. One memory is of scoffing two burgers at the burger van in the Ogwen Valley, washed down by a mug of tea with SIX sugars.

It would be good to get a decent night's sleep beforehand - I don't quite understand why you started so early in June, when there is loads of daylight.

North to South doesn't help psychologically, I suspect - far easier to plod over the easy Carneddau when you are knackered than be faced with Cwm Glas and Crib Goch.

Good luck next time around, anyway  :)
« Last Edit: 20:59:05, 27/06/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

harry_keogh

« Reply #9 on: 20:15:29, 27/06/19 »
In hindsight, I'm not sure why I was so obsessed about starting early. Needed year, I'm going to do it the comfy way and stay in a b&b before starting at a reasonable time. I don't actually mind walking through the night so the starting time doesn't really matter. I know for next time.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:02:10, 27/06/19 »
An early start S-N means Snowdon summit is empty, while Miners’ or Pyg Track are not bad in the dark. Sunrise on the summit or soon after gives enough light for Crib Goch and the Elidir Fawr slog can be completed before the temperature gets too high. Tryfan will obviously be crowded and Pen Yr Olewen will be tackled in the heat of the day, but there should still be plenty of light for the Carneddau.

All the above assumes that the weather is not like the start of June this year, when a canoe trip over the summits might be easier.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:39:08, 27/06/19 »
A very honest and amusing at times account Harry, great write up.

I can relate to the lack of sleep before a big day on the hills, it's so frustrating as you just can't control it.
For me, I think its thoughts of ”have I done everything? from checking the weather to petrol in the car” whizzing around in my head that stops me relaxing enough to sleep well.

I'm sure you'll blast it next year  O0
« Last Edit: 06:08:30, 28/06/19 by jontea »
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:51:57, 28/06/19 »
Lack of sleep before a long walk can be an issue, as can a long drive the day before. I used to travel up to the Lake District and Snowdonia from Southampton for a weekend’s walking and scrambling. It was definitely better to have a long weekend and try a shorter, lower walk on the day after the drive. If I make it down for an attempt on the 3000s next year, I will be travelling down from Aberdeenshire and definitely won’t be planning to make the attempt the day after travelling.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 13:18:15, 28/06/19 »
Getting hold of Roy Claytons book on the Challenge of the Welsh 3000s, is well worth the effort.
He gives the potential walker or runner, loads of helpful advice on finding the best route around the three outlying areas.

Probably the biggest reason for failure, is not drinking enough fluids, and becoming dehydrated, as its a walk approaching 36miles in length, when you consider you have to walk up either Snowdon or Foel Fras.

Taking on enough  fluid is vital, and eating small high energy snacks, on a regular basis.

Route finding is obviously an issue, but if you do not drink enough fluid during the challenge, then your more likely to get muscle cramps, bringing on extreme tiredness sooner than later.

Knowing what to take, and leave at home, to lighten the load on your back, is also important.

Just get a copy of Claytons book, its a great read.
« Last Edit: 13:28:24, 28/06/19 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 13:32:32, 28/06/19 »

An early start S-N means Snowdon summit is empty, while Miners’ or Pyg Track are not bad in the dark.

We actually ascended via Crib Goch and Crib y Ddysgl, before bagging Snowdon, our 3rd peak of the day; then descended via Cwm Glas Bach, which is very steep near the top.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy