Author Topic: New smartphone for Sat Nav  (Read 8307 times)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: New smartphone for Sat Nav
« Reply #30 on: 10:19:27, 09/02/17 »
Well I can think of one reason ...

My Etrex 20 is now over 5 years old, and folks are still running the original Etrexs which could be anything up to 15 years old, maybe older.

I've yet to have a smart phone last more than a couple of years, indeed most of my family/friends also have them fail around the 2 year point and many consumer reports indicate they're only built to last to about then, hence why most contracts run for two years and then you're expected to upgrade to a new phone  ;)

Course there are other reasons for some of us that won't apply to others, all depends how you use them and how they integrate with everything else you do.  As has been said ad nauseum no solution is the right one for everyone.

Where there's a will ...

Cairncamper

« Reply #31 on: 17:53:00, 09/02/17 »

I've yet to have a smart phone last more than a couple of years, indeed most of my family/friends also have them fail around the 2 year point and many consumer reports indicate they're only built to last to about then, hence why most contracts run for two years and then you're expected to upgrade to a new phone  ;)

U wot m8?  ;D

I don't know what you or your friends are doing with your phones, and I don't know where you read those consumer reports, and I dont know where you get the idea that you have to upgrade a phone every 2 years from.

I have no end of phones that have lasted forever, and theres no need to ever upgrade your GPS app if you don't want to.

I have a 5 year old android smartphone, with Back Country Navigator that's never had any software updates, or a BCN update, and it's still not even got a single scratch on the screen, and it performs as good as a top of the range Garmin, if not better.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 18:06:41, 09/02/17 »
Lucky you  O0

It's why though most phone contracts are for two years ... And if the phone keeps working the battery is often knackered!
« Last Edit: 18:14:45, 09/02/17 by sussamb »
Where there's a will ...

Cairncamper

« Reply #33 on: 18:28:59, 09/02/17 »
No, it isn't. lol

I have no end of devices that have lasted years, especially things without moving parts.

There's nothing wrong with any of the normal phones I own or the smart phones Ive owned.

A dedicated GPS is built no better than no end of cheap smart phones on the market.

At the end of the day, they're all just a plastic or metal case, with a chip board and screen, except dedicated GPS devices are way underpowered, and do much, much less.

My 5 year old Ginger Bread smart phone with BCN, that's had no software updates for years, is as good as, even better in some ways, as a top of the range garmin.

Dedicated GPS devices are a massive rip off, and that's it!

Cairncamper

« Reply #34 on: 18:32:14, 09/02/17 »
Nice edit there sussamb. :P

Batteries can be replaced. Powerbanks exists as well.

Also, Ive read a few reports of dedicated GPS devices dying as well.

They're just a massive rip off for the technology you get, and that's it.

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 20:43:25, 09/02/17 »
Nice edit there sussamb. :P

Batteries can be replaced. Powerbanks exists as well.

Also, Ive read a few reports of dedicated GPS devices dying as well.

They're just a massive rip off for the technology you get, and that's it.
Sussamb
Wot he sed..  :P

I think you are struggling with your argument for dedicated being superior. The reasons you've given this time are not valid.
My last phone is still good after 5 years. Yep the battery will be fading, but £5.95 and a new one will be good for another 5 years. I only upgraded for the bigger screen.
Come on over to the dark side, you know you will be happier really..  ::)    
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 22:40:29, 09/02/17 »
You forget I use the dark side too  ;) , have to when out with the SAR team as we use VR with buddy beacon, but when walking on my own I use my GPS. Still prefer it over my phone, far easier to use and see, especially in sunlight.  I could go on ...  ;D
Where there's a will ...

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 06:45:21, 10/02/17 »
I'm another that has used both smartphone and dedicated GPS, and prefer the GPS.

But I'd never claim the GPS is "superior", and it certainly isn't cheaper! I saw a tablet with GPS chip in John Lewis yesterday ...looked well made at a "whopping" sixty quid.

I'd guess there must be an opportunity for some one to put together a robust dedicated GPS, pre-loaded with open source maps, made really simple to use..because only GPS...and knocked out at a hundred quid. That would, I guess, sell well.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 07:19:35, 10/02/17 »

I have no end of devices that have lasted years .........

I have no axe to grind either way, but simply reading the arguments I noticed this comment, which was repeated for emphasis: - it seems a contradiction in terms  :-\
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 07:22:52, 10/02/17 »
I'd never claim the GPS is "superior", and it certainly isn't cheaper! I saw a tablet with GPS chip in John Lewis yesterday ...looked well made at a "whopping" sixty quid.

That's the point that I try to make, no one can say which is best, it depends on how individuals use it.  As well as my smart phone and GPS I too have a tablet that I occasionally use with VR.  Overall I wouldn't use my phone as my primary nav aid, much prefer my GPS, but do carry my phone as a back up.

Others are quite happy with their phones, presumably (hopefully) carrying a map as a backup or vice versa.  Each to their own  O0
Where there's a will ...

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 07:37:35, 10/02/17 »

That's the point that I try to make, no one can say which is best, it depends on how individuals use it.  As well as my smart phone and GPS I too have a tablet that I occasionally use with VR.  Overall I wouldn't use my phone as my primary nav aid, much prefer my GPS, but do carry my phone as a back up.

Others are quite happy with their phones, presumably (hopefully) carrying a map as a backup or vice versa.  Each to their own  O0

The old GPS I took with me on last week's Thursday walk finally conked out completely at start of walk. ( I'd ignored a warning sign or three.)

Knew area reasonably, but a third of way round walk needed to dig map and compass out of bottom of rucksack, and use them to navigate a chunk of the walk. In steady drizzle, cold-ish and a stiff wind.

I soon realised that map and compass style "navigation" is third on Persian preference list, behind GPS and phone.

And a distant third. Useful if you need to plan a major re-route...easy to see a wide area...but darn difficult to use step by step for walk itself, with map falling about in wind, with one eye on map, second on compass, and wishing for a third one to check footing...

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 10:45:49, 10/02/17 »
This discussion has been going on for years on this forum.
At first it was 'map and compass' versus GPS (of any sort). In a 'strange' area I too still carry some sort of paper print out. The compass is always in my bag. The argument about battery failure is long gone (still used but only by the die hards). But essentially most now realise that GPS IS better.
The debate moves on with dedicated versus phone GPS.
Both use the same technology. So.. why would you prefer a single use device to a multi use device?

Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 11:00:40, 10/02/17 »
Yes, I agree. I've often thought of buying a GPS but as I tend to walk alone, I always stick to National Trails or GP routes when I'm in France. I just stick to my phone, it does the job and as I recently wrote in, I only ever had to use my phone GPS once, in thick fog. Its simple for me, if I wanted one I'd buy one, but I don't need one!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 11:09:13, 10/02/17 »
Both use the same technology. So.. why would you prefer a single use device to a multi use device?

Why wouldn't you  ;D

There are many reasons why I prefer my GPS. As I've said above, it's easier to use and easier to read.  It also sits better in my hand.  It has data fields that are easier to access, and a better choice.  It integrates better with programs and data I've built up over years. It's better at retaining a satellite lock when conditions are poor.  Etc etc. 

Others will be quite happy with their smart phone.  It's really no different in that some just use the camera on their phone.  Others prefer a dedicated device.

I guess I'm probably one of only a few here who regularly use both.  I still prefer my GPS.
Where there's a will ...

MikeW

« Reply #44 on: 11:47:52, 10/02/17 »
Hi,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Blackview-BV5000-4G-SmartPhone-IP67-16GB-13MP-5000mAh-Android-5-1-2XSIM-Cell-/361315733269?hash=item5420188f15:g:bEMAAOSw241YgIWW

Under £100, waterproof, shockproof. Battery lasts 2 or 3 days with GPS always on. It is also a powerbank and can recharge other items. 5.5" screen.
I have used this phone for a year or so. It slips in my pocket. It acts as a car sat nav too. 13MG pixel camera. You can even watch telly, films etc.. (not whilst walking, but in your tent at night?) Email, Fb, frankly anything a computer can do.
It will store OS maps at 1:25,000 for the whole of the UK.

As the OP lol I went for the Blackview 6000 available for £150 and so far I am delighted with the decision.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Stock-Blackview-BV6000-4G-LTE-Android-6-0-Smartphone-Waterproof-IP68-3GB-32GB-/122029380797?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368
Totally dust proof, waterproof (submersible), drop proof. The 6000 has a slightly smaller screen at 4.7" but it has more memory built in and an 8 core processor. Had it a few weeks now and used it on a few walks and very happy with it. The rubberised metal shell is much easier to hold with a gloved hand than my old super slim plastic fragile smartphone. Battery lasts a week in normal use (GPS turned off) and a fully charged battery only drops to 70% after a full day using it in and to and from the mountains GPS constantly on for navigating and route plotting and of course for photos and videos. As was the plan my old smart phone fully sits charged and ready to go, turned off, in the rucksack next to a printed map of the route (when in an unfamiliar area) and a compass.
Downsides I've found so far:
The built in magnetic compass is rubbish just like all the reviews say but the GPS works well, finding satellites very quickly and locating you within a couple of meters as you'd expect.
When its raining it doesn't mind being wet but when rain drops land on the screen it sometimes interprets that as a user input. It has a 'glove mode' which may help with this but I've not tried it out yet.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy