Author Topic: Stanage Edge  (Read 1202 times)

Dizzy

• Veteran Member
Stanage Edge
« on: 11:26:35, 18/04/09 »
Had a wander along Stanage Edge last weekend.Didn't go too far but nice view from the top...

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
Re: Stanage Edge
« Reply #1 on: 11:38:46, 18/04/09 »
Another on my 'to do' list (which is getting bigger and bigger by the day). Looks like some great views to be had from the edge. O0

Have you been to Derwent Moor Dizzy? It's not far from Stanage Edge (north-west) and a good starting point is Cutthroat Bridge on the A57. If you liked Stanage Edge then I reckon you'll like Derwent Moor too. Some great views, weird weathered gritstone formations and the boggy bits have a nice flagged path over them so that you don't get wet feet. ;)
Current Munro tally: 78 out of 282 completed so far.

All 190 Welsh Nuttalls completed.

Dizzy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:48:12, 18/04/09 »
I've kind of been to Derwent Moor!Parked at Fairholmes and went up Walkers Clough.Went over to Lost lad on the edge but didn't have time to explore any further.Shame as I really liked it up there, great views of the reservoirs and Kinder/Bleaklow.Hehe I was with my son and as we were walking back down erm...another Clough(can't remember ::)) my son went flying and got covered head to toe in mud, was bloody hysterical although he didn't think so.I want to go back on a nice day(without son) and go up via Abbey Brook, walk right along the edge and back down along the reservoir.Will have to have a look at your way too thanks O0.Think I'm getting addicted to that area!

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:09:52, 18/04/09 »
Stanage Edge and Burbage Edge make a great walk around Hathersage. Some great views and history if that's your thang.

Derwent moor is also excellent. Cool on top then very warm as you descend. Last time I was there I could smell the cooking of fish and chips on the way down. Never did find out where that smell came from!
« Last Edit: 23:12:05, 18/04/09 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

scenic

« Reply #4 on: 23:58:08, 19/04/09 »
I've kind of been to Derwent Moor!Parked at Fairholmes and went up Walkers Clough.Went over to Lost lad on the edge but didn't have time to explore any further. I want to go back on a nice day and go up via Abbey Brook,.....  Think I'm getting addicted to that area!

The ascent alongside Abbey Brook is lovely, and the navigation straightforward (which always helps!). Just keep the Brook to your left until you reach the high, open moorland, then turn right, slightly back on yourself, and pick up a limestone pavement which takes you to the Back Tor trig-point. Then along the edge to Whinstone Lee Tor. From here a right turn drops you to the reservoir and a pleasant road walk takes you back to Fairhomes. Makes for a lovely day  :)
Life without spice is like food without flavour

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy